what makes YOU special?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ironicallyunsur

Ironically Unsure
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
since most competitive applicants have pretty much the same things (good gpa, good mcat, shadowing/research/volunteering), what sets you apart from the rest?

me:

1. i speak 5 languages
2. i monitor coral reefs
3. i'm a certified travel agent
4. i will most likely be a certified real estate agent by the time i apply
5. i bake cakes and compete in cake competitions and shows
6. i'm a bartender

i'll be sure to do/add more things that will make me stick out by the time i apply. how about you?

Members don't see this ad.

since most competitive applicants have pretty much the same things (good gpa, good mcat, shadowing/research/volunteering), what sets you apart from the rest?

me:

1. i speak 5 languages
2. i monitor coral reefs
3. i'm a certified travel agent
4. i will most likely be a certified real estate agent by the time i apply
5. i bake cakes and compete in cake competitions and shows
6. i'm a bartender

i'll be sure to do/add more things that will make me stick out by the time i apply. how about you?

Me? I'm just a SDN regular. You're just too special for me.

1. I only speak 2.
2. I saw coral reefs in TV.
3. I rarely travel. Don't even have a car.
4. What's that?
5. I like eating cakes.
6. I love going to bars.

:thumbup:.

Members don't see this ad :)
wait, isn't this the guy who railed against URM?

1. I speak only 2 languages
2. Not born in U.S.
3. Protection dog trainer
4. Natural Bodybuilder :p (Will compete next year)
5. I'm a turtle

i didn't mean it in a mean way... there's always people asking what they can do to make their app different and stand out, so i'm trying to see what exactly people think will stand out and what they do to help make that happen.

and a real estate agent is someone who can help sell/buy property (houses or commercial buildings, etc)

My mom said I was. End of thread.

good catch!

I haven't been on SDN too much these days. My drinking has been getting in the way:smuggrin:

yeah, something definitely wrong with this guy. I can smell his arrogance even through Internet forum.

Maybe I should add one more thing that makes me special: I'm URM (part black and hispanic).

Happy? :p

Members don't see this ad :)
at first, i thought this guy was looking for tips on answering mount sinai's secondary, where they actually ask this verbatim, but seems kind of trolllish to me.

1. i didn't "rail against" URMs. i said they shouldn't be accepted with lower stats than those of ORMs/white people who have to be borderline perfect to get into certain schools.
2. i'm not a guy
3. i don't drink; bartending just makes me a lot of money
4. most people actually really love me, but it's okay if people on the internet don't want to like me. i mean, who are you in the real world anyway? are adcoms going to ask your opinion of me before i get admitted? no, i don't think so.
5. none of my previous posts have anything to do with this thread
6. my parents have tons of successful friends who are URMs that i happen to look up to. even they agree with me when i say that URMs should be equally qualified in order to gain admission to top medical schools.

i'd like to stay on topic with this. if you really want to talk to me about my views, you can PM me and i'd be more than happy to tell you what i think and why. otherwise i'm genuinely interested in people's differences and their strengths.

I am a former UFC light-heavy weight champion.

yeah, something definitely wrong with this guy. I can smell his arrogance even through Internet forum.
Agreed.
Just take a look at his username..

But to get back on topic...it's weird that you ask that, because I was just wondering it earlier today.
I'll get back to you :p

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJPjzh73IHk i know all the words. and this is the 2nd time i've posted this link today. the lyrics are insightful.

2) if you live in my city i may have sold you or your SO lingerie, based on my job. i also may have sold to adcoms. i know i have to my teachers and adviser in the past.
--that doesnt make me special but it does make for interesting conversations.

3) i can out eat anyone. i'm completely serious. out drink...ehhh not so much.
if there were an eating competition to get into med school...i would be at harvard in 5 min.

Some cool things about me:

1. Was a chemistry TA for two years (general and organic)
2. Was a state-ranked bowler in high school (I still put bowling down as a hobby), bowled two 300 games in my life
3. I am a DJ who spins electronic music (house and techno), and had my own radio show all four years of college
4. I raise freshwater fish
5. I met comedian Jeffrey Ross in Jerusalem

my three point shot is flawless, perfect form and follow through plus a quick release making defenders extremely frustrated.

1. I'm the president of Ugandanesia
2. I dated mother Theresa when she was still alive
3. I privately build space shuttles for NASA. By myself.
4. I've never been on a computer
5. God talk to me. Audibly. His voice is similar to Morgan Freeman's.
6. I can see all wavelengths of the electromagnetic spectrum; even the one that is privately reserved for Stone Cold Steve Austin
7. I can telepathically talk to myself.
8. I invented the Piano Key Necktie

my three point shot is flawless, perfect form and follow through plus a quick release making defenders extremely frustrated.

ahh, but can you create your own shot like Kobe or Ray Allen or do you rely on screens like everyone else?

ahh, but can you create your own shot like Kobe or Ray Allen or do you rely on screens like everyone else?
I'm more of a guy who runs of screens aka spot up shooter....but I will put it on the floor if need be

:laugh: When you have to say it, it's not true.

LMAO! You speak the Truth!

Why is this fool still allowed on SDN?!? I love how the OP is anti-affirmative action, yet started a thread inquiring how helpful her connections (i.e. Mommy & Co.) will be getting her into med school. :wtf: I swear, youth of today...

1. I roundhoused Chuck Norris in the face

2. 5 languages speak me

3. I'm a licensed strip club owner in 5 states

4. I'm actually a runaway slave from Mexico City (does this make me URM?)

5. I also punch coral reefs in the face.

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJPjzh73IHk i know all the words. and this is the 2nd time i've posted this link today. the lyrics are insightful.

2) if you live in my city i may have sold you or your SO lingerie, based on my job. i also may have sold to adcoms. i know i have to my teachers and adviser in the past.
--that doesnt make me special but it does make for interesting conversations.

3) i can out eat anyone. i'm completely serious. out drink...ehhh not so much.
if there were an eating competition to get into med school...i would be at harvard in 5 min.
Maybe it's because of 2), but I read those two words in the wrong order.

yeah in high school I use to pull up from the volleyball line, looking to try out for my JV team this year at my university.

Good luck. You might even make the NBA.:D

You never know, right?

I have three arms. I'm thinking about going in surgery. Of course being a cyclops may not help me...

MUGATU?? Is that you?? :laugh:

HAPPY happy!
zoolander-mugatu-crazy-pills.jpg