What math is required for most medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkishking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was never really that well with math, and is calc really required for medical schools? If I took stats or college algebra, would that be enough?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because math is problem solving, and problem solving is doctor. Yes, that's worded how I want it.

Reactions: 1 user
This. Also, a basic knowledge of calculus (how derivatives work on a superficial level) will help when trying to interpret certain graphs.

You don't need to take a calculus course to have a basic understanding of calculus.

Because math is problem solving, and problem solving is doctor. Yes, that's worded how I want it.
Exactly. this is why i wish they wouldn't do away with calc requirements for med school. it helps and it's easy for me.

Calculus requirements waste everyone's time because the applications are not easily understood by everyone. Much of the time is spent doing random problems that stress using random derivative and integral formulas. However, calculus courses taken with interest are always helpful for sharpening analytical skills.

Problem solving is done easily in a general chemistry class. Calculus (and even physics) requirements are a waste of time and serve to deter career changers/nontrads who just want to get into medical school.

And this is coming from a guy who likes calculus and calculus-based physics (and the same guy who fervently argues that algebra-based physics is a plague that should be dismissed from college curricula)

I 100% agree with your assessment that the way calc and more generally math is taught, sucks, but that doesn't mean they should phase out calculus as a prereq, rather they should improve the way they teach it

Or calculus can be simply self-taught. There are excellent resources available online that help me much more than professors and classes did. I also refer to them regularly whenever i need a refreshment or help in tutoring/solving calculus problems.

I mean i'm fine with calculus being a recommended course, but making it required is a bit too far. And stats and general chemistry are good in shaping quantitative reasoning skills.