What matters most in choosing research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeffy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted into two summer research programs at two different schools: school A, a "name-brand" school, and school B, which isn't as prestigious as school A. At school A, I'd be doing research that doesn't interest me much and at B I'd be doing research that not only interests me more, but is more relavent to my major. So, my dilemma is deciding whether or not the name brand of school A is worth more than the experience I would have at school B. What's most important to med schools and what do they look for? Anyone got any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

You absolutely should NOT do research in something that you're not interested in or passionate about. The work you produce will not be good. However, if you find that after researching the topic more that it is somewhat interesting to you then go for it. Do what you love, and the result will be impressive no matter what the topic. Good luck.

No question: go to school B. Why spend your time doing research you don't care about just because it is at a name brand school, when you could be learning what you enjoy and contributing to a field that matters to you? Believe me, I know it is hard to turn away the big names, but, in the end, life is too short to spend it doing something that does not, in your heart of hearts, mean as much to you.

Good luck!

mma

The most important thing about your research is that you can talk about it in an intelligent and interesting way during interviews. So go somewhere that you are really going to learn about what you are doing, understand it, and like it enough to talk about it. Research won't won't get you interviews, but it can make your interviews run really smooth and make you seem pretty smart (even if you're just an idiot like me).