What MCAT does a 3.6 sGPA need to be solidly competitive for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glassesvar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.6 science GPA, slightly higher cumulative

Members don't see this ad.

3.6 science GPA, slightly higher cumulative

If you're looking for the most basic idea to see how competitive and where based purely on statistics, use the LizzyM calculator. If you want a more holistic view, use the Wedgedawg calculator on this forum. If you want a full "WAMC" use the recommended format and they can give you an idea of where to try your luck.

The average MCAT for matriculants is about a ~511.

Reactions: 1 users
Including more information inline with the WAMC format would be helpful for those willing to address your question since this is only a small window into your application standing (only if you're comfortable doing so). I would follow Dream's suggestions.

@glassesvar

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The overall MCAT isn't as important as the subsection scores. You need a minimum of 127 in each subsection to be considered for an interview at many MD schools. This information is coming from 4 deans of admissions I spoke to. Scoring 130, 125, 130, 127 would probably get you an interview but aim for 127 minimum in each section to be safe.
Deans actually told you this? A bit of context would possibly explain this extraordinary advice. For a total of 508, this would be reasonable advice, a single 125 with an overall score of 517 would hardly be ignored!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
3.6 is a little on the low side for GPA; a higher-than-average MCAT can compensate for that as it's only a tenth of a point lower than the matriculant median. I'd suggest 510+ for state schools and 513+ for midtier schools. For top 20s? 520+

The overall MCAT isn't as important as the subsection scores. You need a minimum of 127 in each subsection to be considered for an interview at many MD schools. This information is coming from 4 deans of admissions I spoke to. Scoring 130, 125, 130, 127 would probably get you an interview but aim for 127 minimum in each section to be safe.

I would argue the overall score is far more important than the subsection scores. I scored 125 on a section and had no questions about it at any interviews.

Last edited:
They told me they look at the applications from people with at least 127 in each subsection first with a competitive cgpa and extend them interview invites over applicants with lower scores
This was without regard to the overall score?

That's what I thought, but when I spoke with the deans they told me my 123 in cars (129, 123, 129, 127) makes me a less competitive applicant and to retake the mcat and get a higher cars score (and to maintain at least 127 in the other sections). When I asked about other parts of my application that I can improve they only stated the cars score. This is in regards to MD admission not DO admission.

123 is on the lower end I would say. But 125/126 is fine imo. 126 is 72nd percentile for CARS. Even with my low CARS score (twice! as a retaker) I was able to get into T20. However, in your situation I do understand why one could say to consider a retake with a 508 with 123 in CARS. I don't have MSAR anymore and am the furthest thing from an adcom, but I think if the rest of your application was solid-good (and you aren't from an unlucky state like Cali) you have a decent chance at MD.

If you live in Cali then I could 100% see someone advising a retake.

For a top-20 school? More like 520+ with stellar ECs like military service, Teach for America, or Peace Corps.

Yeah, I could maybe see 523+ if the ECs aren't stellar - but 525 is ludicrous. I don't think there is much distinction between 523 or 524 and anything higher.

Like many mentioned already, there are many more factors to consider. Volunteering, leadership, research, your state (residency), etc. There's more to it then your numbers.

How's your GPA trend? 3.6 is a little below average but if it's weighed down by a weak freshman year, it's not a big deal.

n=1 I applied with a 3.61 but with a strong upward trend (finished freshman year with a 3.1) and 519 mcat. I interviewed at 2 schools where I was at the 10 and 25 percentiles in terms of my gpa and around the 75th percentile mcat. Take that how you will

Reactions: 1 user
Upward trends are always good; you might've gotten treated more like a 3.7 or even 3.8. That, and ECs: if you're a veteran, for example, you get a sizable boost and a 3.6 can be forgiven even at places like Harvard. Cookie-cutter ECs? Not so much. And 525 guy was out of his mind, even for schools like Harvard or NYU.

Started off with a 3.95 my freshman year, and went lower after that. But I also didn't really take any prereqs that year besides gen chem 1 and bio 1 + their labs. My sophomore year is what tanked me (went through some personal stuff), but my grades have risen junior year and probably will have around a 3.8 for the year, leaving me with a 3.6.

ECS:
clinical volunteering: 200 hrs
nonclinical volunteering: 0
research: 3 semesters, 12 hr/week (~550+ hours)
shadowing: 150 hours
2 leadership roles in clubs/organizations on campus

sounds like your gpa trend won't hurt or help you significantly

your volunteer hours are on the weaker end and adding to that will help. I'd also recommend getting more clinical experience if you can as 200 is ok but not great

your state residency is also a factor. If you're from california and want to stay there, you'd need a very good mcat score. 515+

sounds like your gpa trend won't hurt or help you significantly

your volunteer hours are on the weaker end and adding to that will help. I'd also recommend getting more clinical experience if you can as 200 is ok but not great

your state residency is also a factor. If you're from california and want to stay there, you'd need a very good mcat score. 515+
FL resident

513-516 = chance

517-520 = Good chance

521+ = your a god

• Wow
Yep, Arturiase's numbers sound spot on, though I'd say 510 for your state schools, maybe as low as 508. North of 520's only needed if you're looking to shoot high and go for top-20 schools. Otherwise, for midtiers, a 3.6/515 with decent ECs is competitive.