What mcat score do I need to get into a DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just want to point out that many many many people don't get accepted to any schools, they just typically don't post about it on here, because it's embarrassing. For every person that user3 props up as an example of getting in with low stats, there are many others with the same stats who got rejected.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
if they apply too top-heavy, yes.

but, 3.o/30 can fairly easily land interviews at schools like ACOM, Touro-NV, Touro-NY, LMU, NSU, AZCOM, SOMA, LECOM-E and a number of others depending on their region.
Sorry user3 but no 3.0 lands an interview easily at TouroNY and SOMA

I just want to point out that many many many people don't get accepted to any schools, they just typically don't post about it on here, because it's embarrassing. For every person that user3 props up as an example of getting in with low stats, there are many others with the same stats who got rejected.

Pretty much, it's easier to accept that a 3.4/24.4 who applied to 7-8 schools got rejected because of their stats, not because they applied to schools they had no chance of getting into when the average school is a 3.5/26.5.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty much, it's easier to accept that a 3.4/24.4 who applied to 7-8 schools got rejected because of their stats, not because they applied to schools they had no chance of getting into when the average school is a 3.5/26.5.

3.4/24.4 is not that far off from a 3.5/26.5. And shouldn't DO schools look past the numbers?

3.4/24.4 is not that far off from a 3.5/26.5. And shouldn't DO schools look past the numbers?

2 points + .1 is relatively significant.

And they do. They look at fit, but they want students who will pass, honor, and be successful. Someone with a 3.4/24.4 has a lower chance of hitting a high board score or being an impressive graduate than someone who has higher stats.
It's not to say that all low scoring persons will be scoring poorly on the boards or etc, but it's all statistics.

In the end schools are trying to get the best pick of the students they can both stats wise and how they feel they will fit into that school. Adcoms know what they're doing is all I'm saying.

2 points + .1 is relatively significant.

And they do. They look at fit, but they want students who will pass, honor, and be successful. Someone with a 3.4/24.4 has a lower chance of hitting a high board score or being an impressive graduate than someone who has higher stats.
It's not to say that all low scoring persons will be scoring poorly on the boards or etc, but it's all statistics.

In the end schools are trying to get the best pick of the students they can both stats wise and how they feel they will fit into that school. Adcoms know what they're doing is all I'm saying.

So are you saying that MCAT is slightly more important than GPA at DO schools?

And I agree that 24 is a bit low. The average DO matriculant has a 26.

So are you saying that MCAT is slightly more important than GPA at DO schools?

And I agree that 24 is a bit low. The average DO matriculant has a 26.

Uh... I didn't say that. A stat analysis showed that for MD gpa was marginally more important. However for DO school I think that once you get past a 3.5 it's all Mcat.

Just wondering: When you guys are stating the gpa/mcat, are you referring to the cumulative or science gpa? Or a combo of the 2?

Just wondering: When you guys are stating the gpa/mcat, are you referring to the cumulative or science gpa? Or a combo of the 2?

Statistically they're close enough for most people to safely not make too much of a fuss.

I see. For someone like me who will be re-applying with a 3.08 cGPA and ~3.5 sGPA, is it best to average the 2 to get a good idea of where I stand? Sorry if this is more of an "underdog" thread type of question.

I see. For someone like me who will be re-applying with a 3.08 cGPA and ~3.5 sGPA, is it best to average the 2 to get a good idea of where I stand? Sorry if this is more of an "underdog" thread type of question.

Good question. I don't know if there will be different weight placed on one or the other.
I personally think that averaging may work apox.

I have a 3.05 culm. Gpa 2.95 sgpa tons of extracurriculars including 100 hours shadowing a doctor, 200 volunteer hours in the emergency room and I have a documented psych disability.

Should I just give up and go caribbean? I looked at the DO stats for this year and my gpa is far below average and I don't think I will do much better than a 24 on my first attempt at the MCAT judging by my practice test scores. Advice?

Some retakes for the science gpa and any mcat score above a 32 to break even (based on the Lizzy M scale of (cGPA+sGPA)/2*10+MCAT).
A 32 with a 3.0cgpa/sgpa would get you a 62.
And I would say the average Lizzy M score is about a 62 for a Matriculant.
Friend had a very similar gpa and got a 35 MCAT score and got into the DO school he wanted to matriculate into.