What mcat score do I need to get into a DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

memsak00

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I got in with a 3.0 GPA and a 27 MCAT...so theres some precedence for ya

(I would have much sooner went to podiatry school before I went caribbean, tbh.)

There are a lot of options available for you. You could retake classes, do a masters program or do some post-bacc work to enhance your GPA.

For the MCAT, keep taking practice tests, thats the best way to prepare for the real thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Your best chance is an SMP with linkage if you don't think your 24 mcat or gpa will improve

Members don't see this ad :)
My undergrad GPA was a 2.777, did a masters to bump it up to a 3.0 cumGPA. Got a 24 MCAT. UMDNJ SOM took my masters and replaced my undergrad GPA with masters grad (3.5) and I got into UMDNJ SOM. BUT, the only other school I got into was SGU so with the same exact stats as you, no I only got into SGU. Thank god for GPA replacement. Just an FYI, my EC's were a bit crazy with lots of volunteering, tons of time working in the ER, research, great LORs. So it wasn't that my EC's were bad or some side item like that.

You need to find a connecting program such as Drexel's program where you do their program and if you meet the requirements you can get in. Either that or try to take a post bachelor degree or Masters program. Even this will give you slight bump in the right direction and might make you eligible for somewhere. Good luck

UMDNJ SOM does take lower but avg is like 29-30 MCAT. I think they do give more consideration to grads of our masters program.

Get your sGPA up that .05 if you can, as schools will often screen out at 3.00. One retake on a course you got a C in should do the trick.

People have been accepted with 3.0 and MCATs varying. Way too varied to give you an honest #. You have a CHANCE starting around 24-25. Read that as A CHANCE, and nothing more than that.

26, 27 and higher, with a solid, early application in June could give you some love. No one on here can give you a definite, but I'm not in favor of the giving up and going carrib route.

Reactions: 1 users
Would tourocom NY ms in interdisciplinary studies be too challenging to achieve a 3.5? It's a direct lead in the do program but they have a gpa requirement and have like a 24 credit load per semester. Should I look into something less stressful? I'd be commuting 2 hours a day by train each way to get to the school

My undergrad GPA was a 2.777, did a masters to bump it up to a 3.0 cumGPA. Got a 24 MCAT. UMDNJ SOM took my masters and replaced my undergrad GPA with masters grad (3.5) and I got into UMDNJ SOM. BUT, the only other school I got into was SGU so with the same exact stats as you, no I only got into SGU. Thank god for GPA replacement. Just an FYI, my EC's were a bit crazy with lots of volunteering, tons of time working in the ER, research, great LORs. So it wasn't that my EC's were bad or some side item like that.

You need to find a connecting program such as Drexel's program where you do their program and if you meet the requirements you can get in. Either that or try to take a post bachelor degree or Masters program. Even this will give you slight bump in the right direction and might make you eligible for somewhere. Good luck

What's your opinion of UMDNJ/Rowan's masters program? It's exceptionally cheap compared to other MBS programs apparently.

My advice would be to use grade replacement to bump up your sGPA above 3.0. What are you using for MCAT prep? What full lengths are you using? (ie AAMC or Kaplan/etc.) What is your breakdown from your practice tests?

The fastest thing would be grade replacement to above 3.0 and an MCAT >26 along with applying early and broad.

Retake all F/D/C science coursework and then let AACOMAS' grade replacement policy do is work. No need to go Carlin. The AVG DO acceptee has a 26 or so. Your psych disability is an explanation, but not an excuse.

I have a 3.05 culm. Gpa 2.95 sgpa tons of extracurriculars including 100 hours shadowing a doctor, 200 volunteer hours in the emergency room and I have a documented psych disability.

Should I just give up and go caribbean? I looked at the DO stats for this year and my gpa is far below average and I don't think I will do much better than a 24 on my first attempt at the MCAT judging by my practice test scores. Advice?

Get your sGPA up that .05 if you can, as schools will often screen out at 3.00. One retake on a course you got a C in should do the trick.

People have been accepted with 3.0 and MCATs varying. Way too varied to give you an honest #. You have a CHANCE starting around 24-25. Read that as A CHANCE, and nothing more than that.

26, 27 and higher, with a solid, early application in June could give you some love. No one on here can give you a definite, but I'm not in favor of the giving up and going carrib route.

Admittedly with a 3.0 you really want to be aiming for high 20s, low 30s. But who knows, like user3 says, these days with all the new schools you can probably get in with lower.

What's your opinion of UMDNJ/Rowan's masters program? It's exceptionally cheap compared to other MBS programs apparently.

You have to make the distinction now of whether you are talking about UMDNJ/Rutgers of UMDNJ/Rowan. I did the UMDNJ Newark masters program which is now apart of Rutgers and I loved it. All the professors were great and I ended up doing some great research. I heard the UMDNJ Stratford now apart of Rowan is also a great school. The biggest pull was that I could replace my Undergrad GPA with my Masters GPA. This option is no longer available. It's still a great program and def worth the money. I was paying for it out of my own pocket while working 2 part time jobs and everything turned out alright for me. If you have specific questions about the program I can give you some advice but I do believe some things may have changed with Rutgers taking over. I can also only give you insight for the UMDNJ Newark program, I believe the Stratford campus had some differences that I cannot speak to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Admittedly with a 3.0 you really want to be aiming for high 20s, low 30s. But who knows, like user3 says, these days with all the new schools you can probably get in with lower.
Hence, the emphasis on chance.

And it's fact, nut just user3ism, as you well know.

The best score you can possibly achieve. Don't sell yourself short settling for the bare minimum score. You see a school average and you need to think " I want to get above that."

Reactions: 1 users
With all the good news regarding mergers and all, the DO average score won't jump up noticeably this year, right? We won't be seeing 29+ MCAT averages for DO schools anytime soon, right? Right?

I am retaking my 26 in 3 weeks, shooting for a 28. I am scoring 31 and 33 on AAMC exams, so I think 28+ is within reach. Is a 28+ considered competitive at mid-tier DO schools? Goro?

With all the good news regarding mergers and all, the DO average score won't jump up noticeably this year, right? We won't be seeing 29+ MCAT averages for DO schools anytime soon, right? Right?

I am retaking my 26 in 3 weeks, shooting for a 28. I am scoring 31 and 33 on AAMC exams, so I think 28+ is within reach. Is a 28+ considered competitive at mid-tier DO schools? Goro?

It depends on your gpa

Stay in the states!

Get that science GPA up
Polish application
Apply EARLY
Join a "class of" thread once you get in

:)

I'll repeat what I posted in your WAMC thread. You are fine as is, just make sure to apply broadly to 15+ schools to be safe. People with your stats (can't speak for EC's) have gotten into schools like KCUMB, NSU, Touro-NV, Rowan, PCOM, DMU, COMP-NW and many others this year.

Why retake and risk going down? If you have all your ducks in a row I imagine you will be able to get into a solid program somewhere.

I'll repeat what I posted in your WAMC thread. You are fine as is, just make sure to apply broadly to 15+ schools to be safe. People with your stats (can't speak for EC's) have gotten into schools like KCUMB, NSU, Touro-NV, Rowan, PCOM, DMU, COMP-NW and many others this year.

Why retake and risk going down? If you have all your ducks in a row I imagine you will be able to get into a solid program somewhere.

If you can gain then retake and aim high. There is a risk of going down, but the chance to gain is more than worth it in my opinion.

Thanks to both user3 and serenade for your comments.

I've already scheduled for March 22nd, and I got 31 and 33 on the two AAMCs I took so far. I am confident that a 28+ should be more likely than not.

Also, when I got the 26 on my first attempt, I didn't study much at all and didn't even take all of the AAMC exams. So I know I can perform better.

If that 26 reflected my very best ability (after solid studying and preparation), then I will not retake. But I know I can bump it up a bit higher! Heck, even a 27 would be an achievement!

I got in with a 3.0 GPA and a 27 MCAT...so theres some precedence for ya
Hey Ogmora,

I have similar stats and was wondering if you could elaborate on your situation. Did you have an upward trend at all? Research experience?

Why do you say you won't get better than a 24 on the MCAT? Study your butt off and do better. Your GPA has no influence on how you'll do on the MCAT. Put in the time & effort and hope for the best. Good luck.

Hey Ogmora,

I have similar stats and was wondering if you could elaborate on your situation. Did you have an upward trend at all? Research experience?

I'll PM you.

The average is 27 across, but established schools have 29+ average already.

CCOM- 29.4 last year
AZCOM- 28 last year
DMU- 28.2

They all report that this average has increased this year.

I got into MSUCOM with a 25 and their average is around a 29 this year. And MSUCOM is probably a top tier DO school (in my opinion). So anything is possible.

From the looks of things, DO schools will soon demand 30+ across the board?!

I got into MSUCOM with a 25 and their average is around a 29 this year. And MSUCOM is probably a top tier DO school (in my opinion). So anything is possible.
Their latest reported average is 28.65 to be exact, which will probably go closer to 28 as they accept from the waitlist. But generally I think it's fine to apply as long as you are within 3 points of a school's average.

From the looks of things, DO schools will soon demand 30+ across the board?!
NO. People with at least 3.3/3.3/24 or 3.0/3.0/27 should still be able to land at least 1 acceptance if they apply broadly to 15+ schools.

No way. Maybe in 20 years.

Yea not even MD schools have 30+ averages across the board.

However, there are a couple DO schools in the 30 range. When I interviewed at Touro-NY they made a point of saying how they had scores ranging from high 30's down to 29 at the interview. I had a 28... so needless to say I felt very inadequate haha.

Yea not even MD schools have 30+ averages across the board.

However, there are a couple DO schools in the 30 range. When I interviewed at Touro-NY they made a point of saying how they had scores ranging from high 30's down to 29 at the interview. I had a 28... so needless to say I felt very inadequate haha.

They were exaggerating. Obviously if you had a 28 at the interview, they didn't only have scores of high 30s to 29 at the interview. Also, I think Touro has to accept on average higher scores, because the 40 or so people they get from their MS program will likely bring down the average, or at least that's what I suspect as anyone with a 3.5 in that program automatically gets a seat, regardless of MCAT score.

NO. People with at least 3.3/3.3/24 or 3.0/3.0/27 should still be able to land at least 1 acceptance if they apply broadly to 15+ schools.

I hope that's the case. If I can apply with a 3.5+/3.3 and 30+ MCAT (retake from a 26), then I should be in excellent shape. I am looking at 15-20 DO schools. I just have to GET that MCAT.

I disagree. I think people with 3.0's and 27 are pretty rare.

User3 tends to be... optimistic. A lot of people with even 3.0/30s struggle to land even one accept.

sneakhug: 3.2/3.2/27, 13(!!!!!) interviews
chillbob: 3.15/3.15/27, 4 DO ii's
ogmora: 3.08/3.05/27, 4 interviews
coolingglasses: 3.1/3.1/27, 7 interviews (2012-2013 cycle, said he had strong EC's though)

User3 tends to be... optimistic. A lot of people with even 3.0/30s struggle to land even one accept.
I agree. While I am a fan of a good underdog story, he/she makes it seem like anyone with a pulse can get into DO school which doesn't really help our image.

I agree. While I am a fan of a good underdog story, he/she makes it seem like anyone with a pulse can get into DO school which doesn't really help our image.
I am sorry you feel this way. but the fact remains that those numbers I posted ARE enough to get in right now

I am sorry you feel this way. but the fact remains that those numbers I posted ARE enough to get in right now
I and many others will still disagree with you. yes, at every school you will find a few people with those stats. But there are hundreds more that don't even get a chance with the same stats. There is much more that goes into this admissions process. I know a few people at highly ranked MD schools with similar stats. That doesn't mean that every person with a 3.0 should be confident they have a chance. I know a few people who got turned down from ACOM, Mu-Com, LMU, and LECOM because their stats were "too low" and they all had over 3.0's and 26+.

I'm not arguing the chances of someone with those numbers, because a 27 MCAT is good even with a lower gpa. It's the other threads where you're telling everyone with a 22 MCAT that they are fine because you've seen it happen before is where I have an issue. I'm not trying to make this a personal attack, because a little optimism is good, but it just seems like you're devaluing my (our?) future degrees by giving the appearance that it's easy to get an acceptance.

User3 doesn't understand how statistics work. Temperature101 got into a PR MD school without any ties to the country or being URM. Most of us understand he was not representative of what happens on average to applicants with similar scores.