What med school FROWNS upon... :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hawaii2484

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently at Central Michigan University, and I am strongly thinking about transferring to Oakland University because I have read that OU's med school acceptance rate is 79%, while CMU's is 49-50%.

Before I attended CMU, I attended Oakland Community College and took a lot of humanities courses there, but I am taking my prerequisites for medicine at CMU. HOWEVER, I did drop/withdraw from many courses at OU and CMU. Does dropping from courses hurt your chances at getting into med school?

Plus does switching from OCC to CMU to OU look bad for getting into med school?

I guess what I am asking is.... do I have zero chance of getting into med school? I have a 1.2 GPA in high school and a 4.0 GPA in college. THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Dropping and withdrawing from lots of courses (if it appears on your transcript) looks bad.

You high school GPA does not matter.

The absolute acceptance rate between OU and CMU does not matter as much as where those students are getting accepted to and what their applications look like. If OU has a higher acceptance rate to bottom-feeder schools and the kids who are matriculating from CMU are getting into competitive schools, then CMU is a better choice.

Have you applied to med school? The reason I am asking is because I wanted to know if med school asks for all school transcripts (i.e. CMU's, OCC's, and OU's), or do they just want one transcript from where you got your bachelor's from?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you applied to med school? The reason I am asking is because I wanted to know if med school asks for all school transcripts (i.e. CMU's, OCC's, and OU's), or do they just want one transcript from where you got your bachelor's from?

You are required to report any college level classes you've ever taken regardless of whether they went toward a degree (e.g. I took a few college classes over the summer in high school, and I had to report those too). You'll have to submit transcripts from all three schools.

AMCAS will require all transcripts from anywhere you have been enrolled since high school.

I've decided to stay at CMU, but lately I've thinking about all of the college courses in which I withdrew from. I've dropped 12 courses total, so do I have any chance of getting into a grad school? Thanks!

I've decided to stay at CMU, but lately I've been thinking about my withdrawn college courses. I've dropped 12 courses total between two colleges, so do I have any chance of getting into a grad school? Thanks!

how in the world did you drop 12 classes??

12 drops is alot. What is the reason behind all of these withdraws? That info would be pretty helpful in adressing your situation

No no no...don't switch schools just because one has a higher acceptance rate. A school can easily increase their rate by focusing lower achieving applicants on post-bacc programs or just refusing to support them all together.

wow 12 drops is certainly a lot. IF anything you'd have to explain that in your apps. med schools are going to be afraid you have problems with commitment.

what classes did you withdraw from exactly? Are they prereq courses? And you say you have a 4.0 in college, is that with all the prereqs done?

GED ---> CC ----> University here. I didnt have a big problem getting in, just have to prove that you are capable.

That is a lot of drops, though.

Taking care of my mother; she had breast cancer for five years, so I would come home to take care of her and be with her. She died in November.

Taking care of my mother; she had breast cancer for five years, so I would come home to take care of her and be with her. She died in November.

Wow. My condolences. In such a case, I'm sure the medical schools will absolutely understand. I can't think of cirumstances much more extenuating than that.

Another thing they frown upon, GREATLY, is academic dishonesty.

Dropping and withdrawing from lots of courses (if it appears on your transcript) looks bad.

You high school GPA does not matter.

The absolute acceptance rate between OU and CMU does not matter as much as where those students are getting accepted to and what their applications look like. If OU has a higher acceptance rate to bottom-feeder schools and the kids who are matriculating from CMU are getting into competitive schools, then CMU is a better choice.

WTF is a "bottom-feeder" school?

I definitely would not transfer, for the sole reason that it's a pain in the booty to actually get all of your schools to send transcripts in a timely fashion.

If you have a solid reason drops are ok. I had to drop a bunch of classes when a car hit me and I had temporary memory problems, I just encorporated the experience and what I learned from it into my personal statement and my pre med advisor wrote a blip explaining it in my comittee reccomendation letter, it was never mentioned in any of my interviews.