What medical school is really like

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In my experience the important (testable) part of each lecture is captured in the powerpoint presentations (if your school gives you access to them) or in the related section of BRS. There really is no need to read every page of notes.

Not how it is at my school. And that definitely changes depending on who's doing the lecturing.

That's a lot! Doesn't surprise me though. I have a friend who is in med school and her note stacks look like that. (2nd year)

When I go to medical school (yes I'm confident/persistent enough to stay 'when') I am hoping there will be some good laptop equipment/software to take notes with so I can minimize the paper stacks.)

I take paper notes in college for my classes then scan them into OneNote, then recycle the paper. Really cuts down on the clutter.

I think you will find taking notes on your computer is not as effective as a handful of highlighters and a few pens when it comes to taking quality notes at the speed and depth the lectures proceed. Scanning them into OneNote sounds pretty time consuming...but hey, whatever works for you. Everyone's different.
 
:hijacked:

Resident! Congratulations on your graduation from med school... I've been here since you were just an applicant... how the years fly by.
Thanks, it really doesn't seem like I've been posting here for 6 years. I joined to find out info about the MCAT.
 
That's less crap than we had at the police academy.
They have to teach you all the different types of people you can shoot and taser. Like a grandmother - http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/06/24/28330.htm

In response, "as many as ten El Reno police" officers "pushed their way through the door," according to the complaint.
The grandma, Lona Varner, "told them to get out of her apartment."
The remarkable complaint continues: "Instead, the apparent leader of the police [defendant Thomas Duran] instructed another policeman to 'Taser her!' He stated in his report that the 86 year-old plaintiff 'took a more aggressive posture in her bed,' and that he was fearful for his safety and the safety of others.
"Lonnie Tinsley told them, 'Don't taze my Granny!' to which they responded that they would Taser him; instead, they pulled him out of her apartment, took him down to the floor, handcuffed him and placed him in the back of a police car.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I write my notes again as well. While I use the packets, I am definitely a hands on learner, and benefit greatly from writing the notes.
 
I thought I would just be happy when I get into med school, but right now, I'm more nervous and frightened, even, than happy and excited.
 
Sweet Jeebus.
whoa.gif