What Music Do You Listen to While Filling Out Secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Severus

FTSM!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For me:

Closer: NIN
Ruiner: NIN
The entire Lateralus CD: Tool
Anything Juno Reactor and/or Basement Jaxx

Members don't see this ad.

braluk said:
the soundtrack to debbie does dallas

:laugh: there is a soundtrack?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lateralus is good stuff.
Personally though, I like music thats a bit more optimistic when I work on securing my career in medicine, so i turn on other stuff....

Vocal trance (Ian Van Dahl, 4 Strings, etc) is good for apps

Also, i'm currently diggin on Shakira, Fijacion Oral vol 1...its in spanish, and i dont understand spanish, so i dont get distracted by the lyrics. Plus, her spanish stuff is so much better and not as pop-sounding.

Music while filing out secondaries? What a random question to ask? +pissed+

im listening to avril lavigne complicated right now.

geno2568 said:
Lateralus is good stuff.
Personally though, I like music thats a bit more optimistic when I work on securing my career in medicine, so i turn on other stuff....

There's a lot of light at the end of the tunnel in Lateralus. That's a fantastic album for applications: passionate, introspective.

As for me, I've been listening to a lot of TV on the Radio, Mars Volta and Cursive so far in the application cycle.

Edit: Ah, and some good ol' Tom Waits :thumbup:

Euro trash dance. It makes me feel optamistic until I look at my GPA again.

geno2568 said:
Vocal trance (Ian Van Dahl, 4 Strings, etc) is good for apps

I love the new album by Above & Beyond for just about any time ;)

If there aren't any essays (meaning I dont' have to think) then Gospel. But if I do have to think and write essays I need quiet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Geno- I like the Ian van Dahl call...

i'm on jack johnson, moving on to the new g love i just bought. i'm in a groove. now if only i was writing secondaries instead of posting...

hoobastank - every man for himself cd
ne-yo - sexy love
ciara - run
samantha jade - step up
ludacris feat pharrell - money maker

oh and utada hikaru. hahaha.

yourmom25 said:
hoobastank - every man for himself cd
ne-yo - sexy love
ciara - run
samantha jade - step up
ludacris feat pharrell - money maker

oh and utada hikaru. hahaha.
is that utada hikaru in ur avatar? cause shes so naughty yet so innocent :confused: :confused:

I only know one song of hers, i betcha you can even name it too lol

It's called "I had a total hip replacement and then someone shoved a coke bottle up my ass."

...and for such an active patient (I mean, coke bottle in colon? must be active), they should have considered hip resurfacing as a bone-conserving alternative.

Not to sound generic, but I really do listen to anything: 50 Cent, to Tom Jones, to Dokken, to the Stones

Rocky soundtracks if I really need to get fired up.

Gregorian Chant if I really need to think and concentrate.

Zero 7 and Paul Simon

Zymogen said:
Zero 7 and Paul Simon

Zero 7 with Jose Gonzalez? I like his stuff, but I'm not as familiar with Zero 7.

Yeah he's in the new zero 7 album. The whole album is really good though. I just got Jose's Australian EP album, pretty sweet. Still no veneer though.

Zymogen said:
Yeah he's in the new zero 7 album. The whole album is really good though. I just got Jose's Australian EP album, pretty sweet. Still no veneer though.

I'll I've been able to hear of him so far has been off of his Veneer album, which seems to be mostly covers? Either way, he does a good job with them.

Random song for your enjoyment:
"Dorothy Dreams of Tornadoes" by Cursive (from their upcoming album)

braluk said:
is that utada hikaru in ur avatar? cause shes so naughty yet so innocent :confused: :confused:

I only know one song of hers, i betcha you can even name it too lol
haha actually no. i have no idea who the girl in my avatar is. just some random hot asian girl that was posted on another forum i frequent. but you are correct, utada hikaru is hot (as depicted here: http://traducziqueff.free.fr/photo/utada_hikaru_4.jpg)

and for the one song you know, i'm gonna have to guess either "first love" or "hikari/the opening track to kingdom hearts."

Looque said:
There's a lot of light at the end of the tunnel in Lateralus. That's a fantastic album for applications: passionate, introspective.

As for me, I've been listening to a lot of TV on the Radio, Mars Volta and Cursive so far in the application cycle.

Edit: Ah, and some good ol' Tom Waits :thumbup:

No yeah, I think it's quite positive or at least very calming. I find Disposition or Reflection are awesome essay songs. :thumbup:

Are there any rules against posting music in these forums? Obviously a lot of music review blogs do it...

Personally,

I don't listen to anything while actually writing the essays, but I do have a preparation ritual, in which I listen to inspirational pieces such as Liquid Tension Experiment's "State of Grace," Jason Becker's "Air," or Nobuo Uematsu's (FF7 composer) "Fighting." I'm usually ready to go after that.

Looque said:
Are there any rules against posting music in these forums? Obviously a lot of music review blogs do it...

Hmmmmm... I think Cerb tried that in the lounge awhile ago and I thought his music was taken taken down.

PerpetualBurn said:
Personally,

I don't listen to anything while actually writing the essays, but I do have a preparation ritual, in which I listen to inspirational pieces such as Liquid Tension Experiment's "State of Grace," Jason Becker's "Air," or Nobuo Uematsu's (FF7 composer) "Fighting." I'm usually ready to go after that.

Liquid Tension Experiment gets a little too... free-form for my tastes. I love Dream Theater, though.

As for the remainder of your preparation ritual, I don't know those songs.

Severus said:
Hmmmmm... I think Cerb tried that in the lounge awhile ago and I thought his music was taken taken down.

The song I posted last night on the previous page of this thread has survived so far... I just wasn't sure if it was kosher.

I've found "Asleep in the Back" and "Cast of Thousands" by Elbow to be my essay writing music of choice... good chill music since whenever I have go home, the internet is on the fuzz... I've been working off WiFi at the bar at the local Buffalo Wild Wings.

(dont have Elbow's new album though.

maestro1625 said:
I've found "Asleep in the Back" and "Cast of Thousands" by Elbow to be my essay writing music of choice... good chill music since whenever I have go home, the internet is on the fuzz... I've been working off WiFi at the bar at the local Buffalo Wild Wings.

(dont have Elbow's new album though.

I'd like to hear more from them. What little I've heard has been good, but it's been via my LaunchCast radio, so I can't just pull it up whenever I get the urge.

I listened to Muse albums - Showbiz, Origin of Symmetry, Absolution - when filling out my secondaries. I got multiple acceptances. You should listen to Muse, too.

Rogue Synapse said:
I listened to Muse albums - Showbiz, Origin of Symmetry, Absolution - when filling out my secondaries. I got multiple acceptances. You should listen to Muse, too.

I've been kind of disappointed with their new album. I don't really think their previous material was anything approaching genius, mind you, but it was enjoyable--this new stuff is kind of boring.

Looque said:
I'd like to hear more from them. What little I've heard has been good, but it's been via my LaunchCast radio, so I can't just pull it up whenever I get the urge.

yeah, i burned my copies from the stash at the campus radio station. I havent seen any publicity for the new album here in the US. (though XFM, a british radio station, was promoting thier new single pretty heavily a few months ago. www.xfm.co.uk )

I like mediterranean, middle eastern, asian world fusion type stuff. Anyone know of Theivery Corporation, Nitin Sawhney, etc?

Snow Patrol, Panic at the Disco, Goo Goo Dolls, The Fray, Aqualung....plus some random others from itunes

Ugh... Panic at the Disco. Ugh...

Was that really necessary?

It wasn't any more, or any less necessary than the rest of this thread. It's all music commentary.

Queen, Jimmy Buffett, The Da Vinci Code soundtrack :laugh: , or Aerosmith.