What neighborhoods in Boston?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

magentamoon

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I've been trying to find housing in Boston starting in the beginning of August, but I'm not exactly sure what neighborhoods I should be looking for. I'm from Florida, but have been to Boston a few times though I only know the areas vaguely. Can anyone who's already found housing or is already in the MAMS program advise me of the best places? Also, what is the probability I'm going to find someplace that will accept my dog?
 
I would recommend living near BU main campus.. there is a shuttle to the medical school that runs down commonwealth ave and is pretty easy. You can also look along Massachusetts Ave. between the medical center and harvard square (cambridge). It is a straight shot right down mass ave on the #1 or CT1 busses to the medical center. 3rd, the south end--which is right near the medical center.. All are expensive and it will be hard to find a place that will accept a dog.

THe commute from main campus on the shuttle takes 10-25 mins (traffic) and the shuttles run every half hour from both medical campus and main campus.. From the harvard square area it is 20-35mins. -depending on where u are on mass ave. with busses every 10-15 mins but the schedule is unpredictable to say the least.

I have stuck near the main campus (mostly in the south campus area off beacon st and in Brookline -which is near the west campus area- on Saint paul st/freeman st/babcock st) and love it. The commute to the medical center is easy, the new fitness center (so nice) is right there, and it is very safe..
The dog could be a major issue...i dont know where to look for pet friendly apts..

also try to stick to a no fee apt (the fee will be usually = to 1 month rent) comm ave associates, in my experience has some nice places and dont charge a fee..

Look early, although last year i didnt look until the end of august and ended up with a sweet apt.
 
The Allston area is a "student ghetto"--don't get stuck there unless you feel that an undergrad party atmosphere will help you succeed in your studies...

I second the suggestion to look at the Brookline area, especially the charming little neighborhood of Coolidge Corner.

Wherever you end up, try to make sure you're close not only to the BU shuttle but also to a T stop...a 10-minute walk may not be bad at this time of year, but you don't want to be doing it during a howling Nor'Easter in January. [Edit: Since you're used to the Florida sunshine, you'd better aim to live right next door to the T! :scared: ]
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
magentamoon said:
So I've been trying to find housing in Boston starting in the beginning of August, but I'm not exactly sure what neighborhoods I should be looking for. I'm from Florida, but have been to Boston a few times though I only know the areas vaguely. Can anyone who's already found housing or is already in the MAMS program advise me of the best places? Also, what is the probability I'm going to find someplace that will accept my dog?



Hey magenta, I'm also moving from Florida to Boston this fall (Although I'm in the HES program, not BU). I'll be up there in June searching for a place to live--I'll let you know what I find/what advice I pick up from those already there. I'm in Orlando--where are you moving from?
 
Actually I'm moving from Orlando also, though I'm actually from Tampa. I've been in a Graduate program at UCF but am switching over to the BU program. I'm moving up there in July, but have a friend I can live with for the month and during that time I hope I can find an apartment.
 
magentamoon said:
Actually I'm moving from Orlando also, though I'm actually from Tampa. I've been in a Graduate program at UCF but am switching over to the BU program. I'm moving up there in July, but have a friend I can live with for the month and during that time I hope I can find an apartment.


Haha...small world! I was going to do a 2nd bachelors at UCF, but decided the HES route was a better fit. That's great about having someone to crash with until you find a place---you're already 5 steps ahead of the game. I've had some luck with craigslist as far as finding something I can afford, is available when I need it, is in a good location, etc. Now I just have to hope they don't turn out to be rubbish heaps 😛 Good luck with the move/your search.
 
magentamoon said:
So I've been trying to find housing in Boston starting in the beginning of August, but I'm not exactly sure what neighborhoods I should be looking for. I'm from Florida, but have been to Boston a few times though I only know the areas vaguely. Can anyone who's already found housing or is already in the MAMS program advise me of the best places? Also, what is the probability I'm going to find someplace that will accept my dog?


Hey MagentaMoon,

I am moving to Boston from NC. I am really hoping to find a roommate in the program. I'm going up next week to look for apts, so if you haven't found anyone to live with yet, we should talk. The reason I say that is I also have a dog and I'm having trouble finding places/people that are cool with that.