What not to write in med school apps - geography?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penguinlover111

Reaction score
Do med schools consider where their students want to practice medicine in the admissions process?

My school adviser told me to make sure I focus on wanting to practice in the US since I talked a lot about my international experience in my PS, so I'm aware of that. But I also read an off-hand comment on SDN about how med schools like their students to practice in the same general area after they graduate. I've been drafting some of my secondaries and focusing a lot on my home state, which is well known for its medical inequality, and how I'd want to eventually go back and work on these issues as a physician. The only problem is that most of the schools I'm applying to are across the nation from where I live, so after reading that comment I'm worried that admissions committees would be put-off by my forceful dedication to leaving the area I'm applying to. Should I change my essays to talk about dedication to patient-centered care (which I'm also passionate about) or something else?

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

There is really no need to emphasize a desire to practice in the US.
Only state public schools (and some private schools heavily subsidized by the state) have any interest in educating physicians specifically for that state.

Reactions: 2 users
Save your love of your state for the secondaries to the schools in your state. Focus your PS on your general interest in medicine and, if applicable, your interest in primary care and, if applicable, interest in serving in a rural or urban underserved area.

Reactions: 2 users