What not to write in med school apps - geography?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

penguinlover111

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do med schools consider where their students want to practice medicine in the admissions process?

My school adviser told me to make sure I focus on wanting to practice in the US since I talked a lot about my international experience in my PS, so I'm aware of that. But I also read an off-hand comment on SDN about how med schools like their students to practice in the same general area after they graduate. I've been drafting some of my secondaries and focusing a lot on my home state, which is well known for its medical inequality, and how I'd want to eventually go back and work on these issues as a physician. The only problem is that most of the schools I'm applying to are across the nation from where I live, so after reading that comment I'm worried that admissions committees would be put-off by my forceful dedication to leaving the area I'm applying to. Should I change my essays to talk about dedication to patient-centered care (which I'm also passionate about) or something else?

Thanks for any advice!