Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

WHAT NOW!! 8 more years in the Midwest?

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by BandGeek, Apr 28, 2004.

1. BandGeek

BandGeek Member
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I verbally committed to the University of Connecticut today, only to receive an e-mail (two hours later!!!) from the University of Minnesota that I am getting a position there too. I had an out-right acceptance from UCONN, and was on the waitlist at Minnesota. The problem is that now that I have an offer from Minnesota, I am not so confident in my decision to accept at UCONN. Both schools are awesome, and I see myself in either location (plus moving to Minneapolis is a lot easier than from Fargo). I guess I am writing this to ask two things: First of all, is my verbal commitment binding? Secondly, should I go with my heart (U of M, I am from ND after all) or with my head (UCONN specializes in my research area)? HELP! :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doctor&Geek

Doctor&Geek 25 > 5 / 15 < 8
    Physician PhD Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Verbal offers mean nothing - explaining the situation to the UConn director would be wise and appropriate to avoid any future problems. Things like this happen every year.

PS: Congratulations!

4. Bander

Bander Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

You can't be bound by your verbal contract (or any contract) when you get into a new school. I struggled with that decision as well, also not wanting to accept at one place and then 'jilt' them for another but it's your life and I'm sure they're used to losing a few students a year.

It sounds to me like your gut's telling you to go to Minnesota. But I'm from MN myself, and may be a bit biased. U of MN is a great school - congratulations!!

5. coldchemist

coldchemist Biowulf
    10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Yeah, congratulations are definitely in order. I would go with UMN over UConn for a variety of reasons. Good luck with your choice.

6. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

yeah, twin cities is like the "best" place to live. i kinda wish i had applied. congrats =)

7. hockebob

hockebob Member
    7+ Year Member

congrats on your U of M acceptance! just out of curiosity, what is your field of interest? i know that the U is very good in immunology and several other fields... oh yeah... and, having grown up there, minneapolis is such a sweet place to live.

best,
    aaron

(go gophs!)

8. BandGeek

BandGeek Member
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I am a vascular biology researcher. My emphasis is on angiogenesis during reproduction. My problem is that I like my research, but often wonder what else is out there. As far as medical, I would like to do hematology/oncolology.

Gophers rule (at least in hockey because the Sioux S**K!)

9. hockebob

hockebob Member
    7+ Year Member

i actually worked in the HOT (heme/onc/transplant) division at the U of M a couple summers ago and there is really some good research going on there. however, the work is more on hematological disease (ie- hemophilia, SC anemia, etc) than straight vascular biology. bob hebbel is definitely one of HOT's leading figures and, recently, he's been pursuing (with success is some models) gene therapy for hemophilia. i worked with kalpna gupta, who although relatively unknown is doing great stuff with angiogenesis in mouse models of cancer (and other diseases). also, there is catherine verfaillie, who is doing bone marrow-derived pluripotent stem cell stuff and i know for a fact that many mstp students work in her lab. finally, stephan ekker has done some stuff on vascular biology/angiogenesis in zebrafish and i was really impressed with his lab when i visited. plus, HOT is currently renovating all the labs.

anyway, that was my U of M sales pitch.

good luck with your decision,
    aaron

10. Fixed Gear

Fixed Gear Highly Acetylated Locus
    7+ Year Member

1. Congratumations
    2. Go to U of M. It's got a way, way, way better reputation. Given your angio-interests, I think you would fit in very well with the Verfaillie lab. We (sorta) colloborate with them. Also, like Hockebob said, Minneapolis is a great place. Yeah, the winters are a little cold, but it's clean, safe, affordable, and has great opportunities for sports participation/appreciation.

11. BandGeek

BandGeek Member
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I finally decided. I am going to University of Minnesota. UCONN is a great school, but just didn't have everything I was looking for in a location to spend the next seven to eight years of my life. Thanks for the input.
    Next step....apartment hunting and moving...yuck!

12. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Verbal commitments are not binding.

Go with your heart. Eight years are a LONG TIME.

13. vixey1230

vixey1230 Member
    10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I had a similar situation... choosing between Tri-I and U.Rochester. My heart told me tri-I... my head told me U or R. I had everyone and their moms reminding me about the prestige of the tri-i program. but in the end, it just came down to the fact that i wouldn't be able to pursue my line of work at tri-i. i'm sure i would have fallen in love with the city and maybe i would even have decided not to come back to so.cal. but oh well... rochester it is. it's a nice feeling to finally have made the decision and to plan for the next step. i went over there and bought a house last week... definitely wouldn't have been able to do that in the city. i can always go visit the city anyways.

congrats on finally reaching a decision. and good luck!

14. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Wow, even Habari couldn't convince you to come to the Tri-I? You're slipping man :laugh: ;)

15. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

i ignored all this "go with your heart" advice too. perhaps it won't matter anyway though...

enjoy the snow and clean air of MN :luck:

16. ImmunoANT

ImmunoANT Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

vixey, congrats on deciding on U Rochester. It's a very strong program and as far as I know, Rochester is a very nice town. And... yeah, 2011 might be a bit pushing, 2012 is the norm. Me? given my super slacker personality, am probably looking at 2013. *sigh* am so going to be a professional student...

newquagmire, it's not very often to bash you like this but I think Rochester is in upper NY, not MN. :p :p heheheh ....

17. ninebillion

ninebillion Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Rochester, MN = Mayo Clinic.
    Rochester, NY = University of Rochester.

;)

... This may be irrelevant if Newquagmire was actually directing his comment to BandGeek. In which case, never mind.

Congrats BandGeek!

18. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

U of MN = Minnesota.

i'm getting confused myself! i thought it was "two tone" too.

19. ImmunoANT

ImmunoANT Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

saw you included vixey's message in your post, so I assumed you were talking about U Rochester.

and "two tone" ? hah, funny *sarcastic* :rolleyes:

20. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

i didn't understand the reference to ska. i don't know why they'd call you 4000 lbs either, that doesn't sound so flattering. :confused:

21. ImmunoANT

ImmunoANT Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

alas... don't want to perpetuate this nickname but...
    ok. first of all, it's tu-ton (later became tu-tu), not two-ton. Leilina started it (&@@#$!!$..... :smuggrin: ).

22. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

and secondly...?

what is a tu-ton?

23. ImmunoANT

ImmunoANT Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

secondly, ......, can't remember what I wanted to day.

tu-ton is a nickname Leilina gave me. It feels like of like an African tribal name. :confused: Do you know where she's going?

24. CTNeuro20

CTNeuro20 Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm from UConn undergrad - if you want to do genetics & molecular biology at our med school - go for it. I' may be biased towards the Midwest myself - but you'll like it in Connecticut - people are nice, but we don't beat around the bush - we tend to be more direct I guess. I prefer that myself. Life is fast here - things get done promptly. But anyhow - Farmington is certainly a nice little town (pretty affluent). Boston is around the corner (if a 90 minute ride qualifies). Best of luck to you...CTneuro20