What now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
V

Vet2B

I'm figuring out this year that maybe medicine is not for me. I think that the no sleep issue is what gets me most. I cannot function without at least 9-10 hours a night. So now, since dental, md and DVM is out I am thinking about a trade profession. I've heard that maybe HVAC repair would be good since it's similar to medicine in that you have to look at symptoms and do proceedures to correct. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

i mean as long as you manage your time well.......during medical school at least you should be able to get something close to that...maybe 7-8 hours is reasonable.

now residency and stuff like that.....if you get a horrible shift then thats something you gotta deal with.......but if you dont want to......then that is by all means your decision.

as for your other questions.....i can really help ya. soree.

Originally posted by Vet2B
I'm figuring out this year that maybe medicine is not for me. I think that the no sleep issue is what gets me most. I cannot function without at least 9-10 hours a night... Any thoughts?

Can you function with 5-6 hours of sleep and 3 or 4 cups of coffee?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is HVAC repair? I thought about veterinary school, but I knew that seeing all those naked animals would sexually arouse me too much.

This is just me but....when i was in highshool people said that to get into med school i would have no life and no sleep. Total lies. I dont have the best GPA but I got accepted. I sleep ALOT.
I dont think there will ever come a time that i cant get 8 a day. Now in residency it may be 9 a day but 2-3 hours at a time, but ok with that. If you pick the right specialty i dont think youll even not get the sleep you need.

I think that medical school will be an adjustment, but I have no doubt that I can attend and still have a life and a full nights sleep. Many people raise families while attending med school, so it can't be THAT bad.