What other exams other than AAMC to practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmandudeguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have PR exams but I really dont want to waste my time with exams that arent that accurate compared to the AAMC exams. Any other exams you think are good to practice with?

Members don't see this ad.

Quoted from the "MCAT Calendar Questions" thread stickied in this forum:

How would you rank the FLs?

In terms of easily accessible tests (tests that are available to non-class MCAT studiers), BR is your best bet.

When considering all four, unlike MCAT prep books, I don't think the agreement on practice test ranking is that strong. Most tend to agree that the later AAMC tests are the best, but beyond that, there isn't much of a consensus. There's even an argument to be made that the AAMCs are only really good for verbal since there are more accurate CBTs in regards to the sciences. Despite this, your first priority should be to take all of the AAMC FLs in order from 3 to 11

1. AAMC #7-11
2. BR #1-7
3. Kaplan #1-6
4. AAMC #3-5
5. TPR
6. Kaplan #7-10/GS

The reason why TPR tests are so low is because the opinions are too mixed to gain a good read.

Members don't see this ad :)
are aamc #3-5 ranked fourth because they are too easy?

It's a combination of being easy and out of date. I only made a quick rank because people kept asking me to make one. At the end of the day, the AAMC's should be your first and foremost FL source as I mentioned in that post.

AAMC 3-11 and TBR 1-5 were more than enough for me to feel fully prepared. Best of Luck, and yes I think the TBR tests are a little tough, but for me they still felt similar to AAMC, which I liked.

Hi, I didn't want to make a new thread because I had the same question about practice exams. The only AAMC ones I haven't used are #3 (which I understand is very outdated) and #11. Does anyone know if the TBR CBTs are worth getting even if I am not using their books to study from? Thank you!

yeah same i dont have the TBR CBT's and i never used their material, will it kick my ass? is just using 3-11 AAMC not enough?

Some people use far fewer than AAMC 3-11 and obtain much higher scores than others who take 20 practice exams. It's variable and depends on how comfortable you feel. Initially I used the practice exams to get my timing down but near the end of my studying I was taking practice exams merely to review content and brush up on areas that I might not have known I was weak in. It's up to you. Do however many makes you feel comfortable. I will say that the TBR CBT's are regarded overall pretty well with the SDN crowd.

Why do people shy away from doing harder tests?

Put your ego in check. You end with the AAMC FL's. Till then things like TBR are great practice. Learn from them. The scores don't really matter that much unless you're not improving.

Why do people shy away from doing harder tests?

Put your ego in check. You end with the AAMC FL's. Till then things like TBR are great practice. Learn from them. The scores don't really matter that much unless you're not improving.

Agreed, I did all 5 TBR and 9 GS tests in addition to AAMC. Both of those are known for having really hard questions and passages, GS is known to be way calculation heavy. Now on the real test, calculation heavy tests will come to my favor =]