What part time jobs will give me experience in PT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eddie269

Still in shock...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. So the decision has been made and I will quit my full time job as a banker to pursue admittance into a DPT program (still thinking about pharmacy though). Anyways, I plan to be a part time student since I have a full year (including summers) to basically finish 5 courses at the most. I plan to take 2 classes each session, which would leave me 15-20 hrs free to work each week.

Well, instead of doing the usual student p/t jobs at the bookstore or at Target, I'm trying to see if there are any part time jobs that will not only make me a stronger applicant when it's time to apply, but also give me some good indirect experience in the PT field. Perhaps a receptionist in a PT office or something? Or an internship that pays would be perfect but that doesn't seem realistic.

I still plan to do some shadowing and/or some volunteer work in a PT setting regardless just to satisfy the hours requirement. Any suggestions would be great.

I live in San Francisco so if anyone knows anyone who knows anybody, let me know. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Look into becoming a clinical aide. You will not make a lot of money though, most places pay anywhere from 10-13 dollars an hour. Although you are in CA and I am in NY, so those numbers may depend on where you are at. But, a clinical aide basically helps out PT's and PTA's on the floor with patients and charting. I have to say that I learned most of what I know from being a clinical aide. It is a lot of work for what they pay you for. You are constantly on your feet and never a dull moment with always having to set up patients on machines, and write down exercises in their charts.
Yeah, if you want PT, look into clinical aide. Or, you could become certified in personal training and see if you can work in a PT office with their patients. This may pay you more. Do your research. But I think that clinical aide may be the best bet for you. Good luck .

eddie269 said:
Hi guys. So the decision has been made and I will quit my full time job as a banker to pursue admittance into a DPT program (still thinking about pharmacy though). Anyways, I plan to be a part time student since I have a full year (including summers) to basically finish 5 courses at the most. I plan to take 2 classes each session, which would leave me 15-20 hrs free to work each week.

Well, instead of doing the usual student p/t jobs at the bookstore or at Target, I'm trying to see if there are any part time jobs that will not only make me a stronger applicant when it's time to apply, but also give me some good indirect experience in the PT field. Perhaps a receptionist in a PT office or something? Or an internship that pays would be perfect but that doesn't seem realistic.

I still plan to do some shadowing and/or some volunteer work in a PT setting regardless just to satisfy the hours requirement. Any suggestions would be great.

I live in San Francisco so if anyone knows anyone who knows anybody, let me know. :)

I am looking into the possibility that one may sit for the PTA certificate exam if one has met the pre-reqs (generally that which would be covered in a PTA AA degree) . I am currently in the process of challenging for my right to sit for the exam and will let you know of my experience. Being a PTA would get you better pay and terrific experience I believe.

Be an Ortho PA and write PT orders!