What percent of DO students flunk out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gastrdctr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what percent of 1st year DO students fail, and those that do fail a course-do they have to repeat the year since they can't repeat just a semester?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering what percent of 1st year DO students fail, and those that do fail a course-do they have to repeat the year since they can't repeat just a semester?

That really depends on the school and their policies. At NYCOM, if you fail a System, you can repeat it in the summer. If you fail 2 systems you fail the year. If this happens, you go to a review committee which decides if you are allowed to repeat 1st year, or if you are dismissed from the school.

Very, very few people flunk out of any U.S. medical school. I would venture to say that those who do actually "flunk out" did not study nearly as hard as they could have (they flunked themselves out). Passing board exams (particularly step 1) should be a much bigger concern.

Members don't see this ad :)

Follow this AACOM link and download a pdf document that has all sorts of statistics for DO schools, including how many students drop out and for what reasons:

http://www.aacom.org/data/annualreport/index.html

Don't worry about who flunks. Just worry if you get in, can you handle the workload....That's the main concern.

It's hard to flunk out. You have to try. Seriously, at our school we say, if you flunk out you wanted too. Our school will give you every chance to pass the class, not to mention tutors. They let one guy take renal so many times, he's had enough lecture hours to be a nephrologist. Now pass your boards that's a different ball of wax, thats on you. Just think, if you don't pass, they don't get next years tuition, yes, thats how it works.