Writing about being poor in secondaries but not checking "disadvantaged"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Chippopotamus

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I have a question about writing my secondaries. I grew up in a low income family and community, from which I saw various perspectives that I wanted to talk about in my secondary essays. However, I didn't check the "disadvantaged" box on my primary application, mainly because I felt that my academics weren't really affected by being low income - I went to a free public high school that was reputed, received fee waivers for exams, applications, etc., and received a full ride to university. Will it be seen as inconsistent if I talk about growing up low income in my secondary essays but I didn't check that box? I did get approved for FAP and my primary shows I received Pell Grants though. Thanks for any insight!