What percentage of interviewed are accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chickensoupdr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have stats about % interviewed and % enrolled. But where can I find what percentage of applicants interviewed are accepted for each school?

Members don't see this ad.

I have stats about % interviewed and % enrolled. But where can I find what percentage of applicants interviewed are accepted for each school?

Most schools don't release accepted stats.

Varies a lot by school. You'll want to check individual schools' websites. The MSAR will give you numbers for people interviewed and matriculated, but not accepted. I've heard US News gives accepted numbers - perhaps someone can confirm that, and then you can check that resource?

Members don't see this ad :)
Many schools give that information during your interview day when the staff gives their "presentation"

US News has the data for many school, but not all.

Varies a lot by school. You'll want to check individual schools' websites. The MSAR will give you numbers for people interviewed and matriculated, but not accepted. I've heard US News gives accepted numbers - perhaps someone can confirm that, and then you can check that resource?

This. USNews give this data. I calculated the numbers for all the schools on my list. Ranges from 24.6% (Harvard) to 71.1% (MCW), with a mean of 41%.

Correct. I have the US News & Wolrd Report Ultimate Guide to Medical Schools book and it includes numbers for applied, interviewed, accepted, and enrolled for both instate and OOS. Very informative.

Depends. Most of the schools I've looked at average around ~35% I believe.

True. Really it makes me wonder why it isn't more popular. My advising office definitely pushed the MSAR and never mentioned it.

I've skimmed the US News book and found a school where the number of applicants interviewed was LESS than the number accepted... What does this mean?

I've skimmed the US News book and found a school where the number of applicants interviewed was LESS than the number accepted... What does this mean?

Linkage programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
if 40% are accepted, are most people accepted in the first batch after their interview date, or a lot of ppl waitlsited and later accepted?

I found these numbers from my interview packets from last year:

Texas A&M (entering class 2012):
201 seats
2688 applications
667 interviews
480 offers of acceptance

TCOM (entering class 2012):
230 seats
2647 applications
839 interviews
500 offers of acceptance

From what I remember, most of the Texas schools gave a quick overview of the entering class stats on interview day.

10%-20%

Heavily favored state schools are the exceptions since they do not get too many applicants

From the 4 schools I looked at on USNWR, the %accept from interviewed pool varies a lot, ranging from 40 to 65%.

10%-20%

Heavily favored state schools are the exceptions since they do not get too many applicants

This is false. Out of my 24 schools, Harvard was the lowest with 24%. Most schools are between 30-50%.

At UMMC, around 200 are interviewed and 150 are accepted.

Why are we posting numbers in this thread? If you people really want to know, pay the friggin' $30 and buy a subscription to US news like the rest of us did.

Why are we posting numbers in this thread? If you people really want to know, pay the friggin' $30 and buy a subscription to US news like the rest of us did.

Does it really bother you that much?

Yea its sort of unfair to the rest of us who paid for that. It's not that hard to fork over an extra $30 to get access to that info.

Also, its a pointless thread which unnecessarily clutters the forum.

Yea its sort of unfair to the rest of us who paid for that. It's not that hard to fork over an extra $30 to get access to that info.

Also, its a pointless thread which unnecessarily clutters the forum.

So you choose to pick this thread to complain about unnecessary clutter instead of all the other ones? Like the Harvard Pre-Med Medical school club or all the DO vs MD threads?

I'd like to know MCV, EVMS, UVA and VTC if anyone has the info. Instate too

:)

So you choose to pick this thread to complain about unnecessary clutter instead of all the other ones? Like the Harvard Pre-Med Medical school club or all the DO vs MD threads?

There's already other people complaining about all those threads. Nobody mentioned anything about this one so I figured I'd be the one to bring it up.

There's already other people complaining about all those threads. Nobody mentioned anything about this one so I figured I'd be the one to bring it up.

I went through the recent DO/MD and the pre-med harvard med school thread. no one brought it up.

So more people were accepted than interviewed?

Yeah, that's what I'm confused about.

Also from what I've read about for Galveston, more than half of IS applicants that were interviewed were accepted (according to US News).

GXC1c7

When you say that 40% of those interviewed are "accepted", do you mean that 40% are outright accepted or does that number account for everyone who was accepted and/or waitlisted?

When you say that 40% of those interviewed are "accepted", do you mean that 40% are outright accepted or does that number account for everyone who was accepted and/or waitlisted?

Everyone accepted and/or waitlisted