What previous careers/salaries did you give up for Podiatry School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpfuldoc2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious because the same question was asked and answered on all the other forums, what job/career/salary did you give up or do before going to Podiatry school?

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious because the same question was asked and answered on all the other forums, what job/career/salary did you give up or do before going to Podiatry school?

Nebraska Funriture Mart Warehouse - 22K

Coke Cola Bulk Sales - 30K ( I was offered a promotion which would have meant I would have made about 50-70K)

I left the first one right before I went to school. The second one I left when I moved back to the Midwest to go back to school.

I left a promising career as a Starbucks Barista for podiatry school.

Did you know starbucks managers get paid around $50G a year depending on the city?

Members don't see this ad :)
I left a promising career as a Starbucks Barista for podiatry school.

Did you know starbucks managers get paid around $50G a year depending on the city?

I came straight out of college. While in college, I worked as an assistant manager of a Godfathers Pizza for awhile and then worked as a research tech for the federal government (I could tell you what I did but then I'd have to kill you) :laugh:

I came straight out of college. While in college, I worked as an assistant manager of a Godfathers Pizza for awhile and then worked as a research tech for the federal government (I could tell you what I did but then I'd have to kill you) :laugh:

I love Godfathers. :D

You know that it started in Omaha, NE. Home of Warren Buffet, President Ford, and Dr. Feelgood.

I worked two years as a Medical Technologist at Mayo Clinic, Rochester. I easily pulled in 50+K per year. Last year I worked about 30 hours OT per week and pulled in 45K in just 6 months. However, I would quit that job again and again just to go to POD school. Even though I am now living on very little $$, I am happy as can be studying to become a great Podiatric Physician.

I worked two years as a Medical Technologist at Mayo Clinic, Rochester. I easily pulled in 50+K per year. Last year I worked about 30 hours OT per week and pulled in 45K in just 6 months. However, I would quit that job again and again just to go to POD school. Even though I am now living on very little $$, I am happy as can be studying to become a great Podiatric Physician.

DANG!!!!

That is awesome! You are an example of what I am always telling the high school kids I mentor. It is not about money, but making a difference in peoples lives. If you do it for the right reasons, the money will come (and should not be their focus). Congrats!

I have always worked full time and gone to school full time. If I could do it again, I would definetly find a way to work less. That is what I am most excited about (besides the knowledge) in going to pod school. School will be my job. It is the job I have always dreamed of. :D

I stayed in school until I got my MS in Genetics. I then worked for a Research Institution for a year and a half on projects involving recombinant platelet derived growth hormones. I was making close to $60K and I was tempted to pursue a PhD but I was more drawn to becoming a physician, so I shadowed alot of the Doctors that I interacted with during my work - out of all of them, I enjoyed the work of the DPM a great deal - and after much soul searching and serious decision making, I trusted my heart and never looked back - best decision in my life.

Wow whats the average age in Podiatry School. Iam gonna be 21 when i start my first year. I hope i find someone anyone of my age there. he he!

Wow whats the average age in Podiatry School. Iam gonna be 21 when i start my first year. I hope i find someone anyone of my age there. he he!

The average age seems to be around 23-24. I know of one person your age, but that is not too common. I just turned 27 a couple months back and do feel older than a lot of my classmates.

Just think, you could be a DPM in residency training when your my age.:)

I'd say about 50% of the kids are straight out of college, which puts them at 22ish, and the other 50% are a mix anywhere between 24-35.

Right now I work for the Army Corps of Engineers doing research with RDX (royal demolition explosives). I was actually offered a job as a full-time after graduation and they would pay for me to get my masters. But I like people more than the lab bench. On a side note, I'll be 22 when I enter school.

I left a 6 figure pharmacist position at Walgreens Co. in Chicago to become a podiatric foot and ankle surgeon. But, I still work a few days a month to stay on payroll for profit-sharing and stock options.

I worked for Wal-Mart. I interned and then ran a remodel and was about to make the jump to upper management(store managers make $50k guarenteed and many make $150+) but realized I'd would be going after money instead of my ambition-medicine. I still work fulltime but the schedule is a lot more forgiving. With the way medicine is going maybe I'll open a shop in a wal-mart front shop next to a McD's and service the diabetics that just can't help themselves:laugh: .

.With the way medicine is going maybe I'll open a shop in a wal-mart front shop next to a McD's and service the diabetics that just can't help themselves:laugh: .

And are you also gonna keep those FREE INTITIAL CHECK UPs. Just as some of the Optical Stores in Walmart do.:laugh:

you can call and arrange an appointment, fill out paper work and walk to my office at no charge!:thumbup: cool I'll even throw in some tooth paste from my dental check-up at no extra charge!:laugh:

I am currently a financial officer at a major HSO and I make in the upper 80s, but I will be quitting in July!!! Any car note donations?? :eek:

During college I was an operating room intern and watched several Pod cases. Graduated and shortly after college (pre-med and business) got really lucky and was recruited by a medical devices company. So, I'm currently a medical devices sales rep. It can be cool, but in the end I don't feel like I'm doing "anything." Well, at least something of value. When I'm in the OR, I'm always thinking how I could be on the clinical side... so I'm doing it.

I'm hoping for either Temple or NYC for this upcoming fall. I'm 25, and making almost $70,000... great money, but like I said I believe I was put on this earth to help people, not sale gadgets.

Terrorist Death Dealer - $58,000

Im giving up working in a research laboratory at my undergrad institution. Its a great, fun, motivational job, but the pay is eh... So not crying too much over leaving. However, not receieving monthly earned paychecks for the next few years during pod school will take some getting used to. 6-figure federal loan debt here I come! :eek: