What private med schools are known to take a lot of WC/Cali applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHouse579

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I saw a lot of threads about people trying to get INTO cali schools, but I WANT OUT. Not really. I just realize the competition for Cali schools is stiff and want to maximize my chances OOS. I heard recently that NY schools like Cali applicants. Is this true? What private/non-cali schools accept a decent number of Cali applicants? Thanks you.

Members don't see this ad.

Along the interview trail I noticed Albany (tons!), UVM

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I saw a lot of threads about people trying to get INTO cali schools, but I WANT OUT. Not really. I just realize the competition for Cali schools is stiff and want to maximize my chances OOS. I heard recently that NY schools like Cali applicants. Is this true? What private/non-cali schools accept a decent number of Cali applicants? Thanks you.

NYC, Chicago, and Philly schools are all good bets. Pretty much any private school with a high OOS acceptance rate will be friendly to Cali applicants.

And don't rule out all OOS public schools. University of Arizona (both campuses) and the SUNY's seem relatively friendly to CA applicants (in my own experience).

Private schools don't care where you're from. If some specific schools have more Californians than others, it's almost certainly primarily due to how much Californians want to go there, not how much said school "likes" Californians.

I'd say if you look at any OOS friendly school, you'll find a decent proportion of Cali residents simply because there are a ton of students from Cali who apply OOS compared to students from less competitive states. If I remember correctly, in the recent past as much as 25% of SLU's class has come from Cali.

Saint Louis University has a large percentage of Californians in their classes.

Ohio State and Case Western both had a large proportion of their class coming from Cali...

Creighton. California has the second most current students after Nebraska (which is mostly due to Creighton favoring their own undergrads). Also most private schools in big cities (NYMC, Drexel, SLU, etc.) tend to have lots of people from CA.

And don't rule out all OOS public schools. University of Arizona (both campuses) and the SUNY's seem relatively friendly to CA applicants (in my own experience).

I definitely agree with this^. University of Arizona-Phoenix (I'm not sure about Tucson) just recently increased their OOS acceptances to 50%, so keep that option in mind. Also East Coast private schools accept a huge amount of OOS (NYMC, Drexel, etc.)

Pretty much all of them.

I would say Chicago schools are the glaring exception.

Creighton. California has the second most current students after Nebraska (which is mostly due to Creighton favoring their own undergrads). Also most private schools in big cities (NYMC, Drexel, SLU, etc.) tend to have lots of people from CA.

agreed. I interviewed at creighton and it seemed like every other med student there was from California.

A lot of my friends of friends got into Texas schools, for some reasons.