What programs should I look into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A Fan of Medicine
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For a student who goes to an M.D. school and scored around a 230 on step I, what programs should I be looking at as I apply for residency? I have been pretty involved with anesthesia activities since the beginning of medical school and did research in the field the summer after MS1.

Any programs in particular that stood out to you and would be attainable for me? What sorts of things can I do to strengthen my application at this point? What programs would be a good reach/match/safety?

As always, could not thank SDN and this forum enough for the help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i mean its a pretty silly question. you scored above the mean, have a decent app (i assume) and are clearly interested. i assume you can carry a conversation.

therefore, apply where you want to go. if you have research interests, pick the programs that have support for those specific interests; if you are concerned with location, apply thusly.

it doesnt benefit you to limit your apps, the cost isnt prohibitive...apply as far and wide as you like, then cancel interviews as others come in. its okay.

i mean its a pretty silly question. you scored above the mean, have a decent app (i assume) and are clearly interested. i assume you can carry a conversation.

therefore, apply where you want to go. if you have research interests, pick the programs that have support for those specific interests; if you are concerned with location, apply thusly.

it doesnt benefit you to limit your apps, the cost isnt prohibitive...apply as far and wide as you like, then cancel interviews as others come in. its okay.

No I completely understand your advice. I was just curious as to what programs have a good reputation here on SDN and have been sought after by previous applicants. Will definitely follow your advice and not limit my applications as I'm sure every program has something unique to offer.

Best of the best. MGH, UCSF, Penn, Stanford.;) There are lots of great programs with solid training. Pick a region where you want to work after all's said and done and apply to all the good programs in the area.
A little anesthesia research would probably help your rank.
If you know where you might want to live, let us know and people might be able to guide you to the lesser known gems out there.

Best of the best. MGH, UCSF, Penn, Stanford.;) There are lots of great programs with solid training. Pick a region where you want to work after all's said and done and apply to all the good programs in the area.
A little anesthesia research would probably help your rank.
If you know where you might want to live, let us know and people might be able to guide you to the lesser known gems out there.

I'm actually pretty open to moving to any interesting city but I would say my preference is the west coast. I think at this point though I would go to any program with a solid reputation and let the location take a back seat.

MikanDoc

Let me jump in and tell you why the friendly Anesthesiologists on the board are giving you some friendly grief. :) :rolleyes:

In short, there are dozens upon dozens upon dozens of accredited anesthesia programs in the US. You've shared a little bit about your research experience and your Step 1 score, which is above average. Nothing really about your goals or desires in many personal areas...

But to ask where people think you should apply, with just that information, is like asking, "I have 1000$ in the bank, what should I buy with it between now and 2015?"

Choosing a residency program takes a LOT of time, research effort, thought, analysis, LUCK perhaps, and then, at that point, can one begin to get some advice that might shine a little light on your personal situation. Once you've jumped through those hoops, the question then becomes...

"I have 1000$ in my IRA, I would like to invest in precious metals, limiting my risk, for a long term portfolio, and I already own as much Gold as I want, what else should I think about as 2011 comes to a close with the following financial goals in sight a) home b) long term savings c) bla bla bla."

I would THINK that some important considerations go into choosing a program that "feels right" for you.

a) community based vs ginormous academic center
b) location, location, location, i.e. where do you WANT to be?
c) is research insanely important to you, somewhat important, or not at all?
d) wanna be big fish in small pond, small fish in big pond?
e) see b
f) significant others in your life that have an opinion?
g) any area of subspecialty that you are interested in? i.e. want to do insane amounts of regional? sick peds? hearts? where are those "centers?"
h) what is my USMLE/class rank, and what are the programs' averages, am I competitive at X program?
i) "rural" or biiiiiig city?
j) reputation of program, malignant, ivory tower, will take all comers, etc.

in short, any program might very well take you with that USLME and a paper. it just cannot be narrowed down just yet.

after thinking about ALL of these elements, let's say you felt like the northeast would suit you. ok. that narrows it down to 50 programs? (no idea) 60? 30? from there, you can start to think about locale, size, benefits of a program etc. history of said program. and COMPARE them and ask things like, "well, i wanna do peds anesthesia, could I get into CHOP with a 240 step 1 and some pubs? should i bother applying? what else might be a smaller version of CHOP where perhaps i can make a peds name for myself and hop over for fellowship..." etc.

anyway, i would suggest doing some more research, really jumping on FREIDA.org or whatever other resource exists, and then, narrow it down, and get specific with questions.

or not. :)

then, i think you'll get some solid answers as the docs here are top notch and willing to help, if, and when, they can...

good luck!!!!

D712

p.s. or do what IlDes said above. Didn't see that one.

Last edited:
You're fine. You can choose to apply whichever methodology you prefer: geography first, reputation first, geography + reputation, research, mentors, sports teams, women (or men), local beers, etc.

If you truly have zero preferences, apply as broadly as you want and as you start to interview, your preferences will become apparent. With your profile you shouldn't have any problems as long as you interview well.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Will consider all of this information when applying for programs. Other than Vandy, MGH, UCSF, and Stanford, any other programs that come with a particularly high recommendation? Any hidden gems?

Thanks for the advice everyone. Will consider all of this information when applying for programs. Other than Vandy, MGH, UCSF, and Stanford, any other programs that come with a particularly high recommendation? Any hidden gems?

You can listen to this all you want, but just interview. I interviewed at all the above and you will see very quickly which programs rely on old rep and haven't changed things in years and other programs that have an amazing rep but see only healthy patients. And honestly if Vandy is on your list than Duke, Hopkins and U Wash should have been mentioned before that one. IMHO after interviewed.

and if you ever have a tie...Location Location Location

I will add if your interseted in CC... Vandy anesthesiology people OWN it there

For a student who goes to an M.D. school and scored around a 230 on step I, what programs should I be looking at as I apply for residency? I have been pretty involved with anesthesia activities since the beginning of medical school and did research in the field the summer after MS1.

Any programs in particular that stood out to you and would be attainable for me? What sorts of things can I do to strengthen my application at this point? What programs would be a good reach/match/safety?

As always, could not thank SDN and this forum enough for the help :)

Go where they give you free food. You think I'm kidding....i'm not.

I'm in a similar predicament. I'm a 3rd student in an MD program. I have not done all my research yet, so my questions might seem naive, if so please pardon me. Also, my school does not have an anesthesia residency, so I don't have much guidance from residents.
1) Location: Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte, Vanderbilt, St. Louis, Denver, Ann Arbor, Maryland/Baltimore, Atlanta and other not too big cities, but with cultural diversity, outdoorsy and artsy things to do outside of the hospital. Also, prefer cities with good public schools. Currently, not a fan of Boston or California. I cannot afford those places.
2) At this point in time I'm leaning toward academia, I want to be able to teach and do some research, but not be a lab rat. I have a Ph.D. in molecular bio and research in oncology with pubs but NO anesthesia research whatsoever.
3) Leaning toward CC, again not sure. I do not have any experience with the other subspecialties. Some attendings tell me fellowship is important and others say it is not.
4) I have great 1st and 2nd year grades but my 3rd year grades already seem to be suffering, shelf exams are not my forte.
5) Step 1 = 240

Any input on how to proceed from here?

Thank you for your help.

I'm in a similar predicament. I'm a 3rd student in an MD program. I have not done all my research yet, so my questions might seem naive, if so please pardon me. Also, my school does not have an anesthesia residency, so I don't have much guidance from residents.
1) Location: Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte, Vanderbilt, St. Louis, Denver, Ann Arbor, Maryland/Baltimore, Atlanta and other not too big cities, but with cultural diversity, outdoorsy and artsy things to do outside of the hospital. Also, prefer cities with good public schools. Currently, not a fan of Boston or California. I cannot afford those places.
2) At this point in time I'm leaning toward academia, I want to be able to teach and do some research, but not be a lab rat. I have a Ph.D. in molecular bio and research in oncology with pubs but NO anesthesia research whatsoever.
3) Leaning toward CC, again not sure. I do not have any experience with the other subspecialties. Some attendings tell me fellowship is important and others say it is not.
4) I have great 1st and 2nd year grades but my 3rd year grades already seem to be suffering, shelf exams are not my forte.
5) Step 1 = 240

Thank you for your help.

Well you're already off to a good start by knowing what kind of cities you'd like to live in. It looks like you're looking for medium-sized cities with major academic programs, and all of the places you listed fit the bill (except Charlotte doesn't have an anesthesia program or an academic center).

Your next step should be to look up the programs in those cities as well as the cities themselves before deciding which of them to interview at. FWIW, my list looked very similar so if you have any questions feel free to PM me (although a lot of my impressions will be from a few days worth of impressions, so your best bet is to talk to residents in each program, but that's kind of what the interview process is for, anyway).

MikanDoc

Let me jump in and tell you why the friendly Anesthesiologists on the board are giving you some friendly grief. :) :rolleyes:

In short, there are dozens upon dozens upon dozens of accredited anesthesia programs in the US. You've shared a little bit about your research experience and your Step 1 score, which is above average. Nothing really about your goals or desires in many personal areas...

But to ask where people think you should apply, with just that information, is like asking, "I have 1000$ in the bank, what should I buy with it between now and 2015?"

Choosing a residency program takes a LOT of time, research effort, thought, analysis, LUCK perhaps, and then, at that point, can one begin to get some advice that might shine a little light on your personal situation. Once you've jumped through those hoops, the question then becomes...

"I have 1000$ in my IRA, I would like to invest in precious metals, limiting my risk, for a long term portfolio, and I already own as much Gold as I want, what else should I think about as 2011 comes to a close with the following financial goals in sight a) home b) long term savings c) bla bla bla."

I would THINK that some important considerations go into choosing a program that "feels right" for you.

a) community based vs ginormous academic center
b) location, location, location, i.e. where do you WANT to be?
c) is research insanely important to you, somewhat important, or not at all?
d) wanna be big fish in small pond, small fish in big pond?
e) see b
f) significant others in your life that have an opinion?
g) any area of subspecialty that you are interested in? i.e. want to do insane amounts of regional? sick peds? hearts? where are those "centers?"
h) what is my USMLE/class rank, and what are the programs' averages, am I competitive at X program?
i) "rural" or biiiiiig city?
j) reputation of program, malignant, ivory tower, will take all comers, etc.

in short, any program might very well take you with that USLME and a paper. it just cannot be narrowed down just yet.

after thinking about ALL of these elements, let's say you felt like the northeast would suit you. ok. that narrows it down to 50 programs? (no idea) 60? 30? from there, you can start to think about locale, size, benefits of a program etc. history of said program. and COMPARE them and ask things like, "well, i wanna do peds anesthesia, could I get into CHOP with a 240 step 1 and some pubs? should i bother applying? what else might be a smaller version of CHOP where perhaps i can make a peds name for myself and hop over for fellowship..." etc.

anyway, i would suggest doing some more research, really jumping on FREIDA.org or whatever other resource exists, and then, narrow it down, and get specific with questions.

or not. :)

then, i think you'll get some solid answers as the docs here are top notch and willing to help, if, and when, they can...

good luck!!!!

D712

p.s. or do what IlDes said above. Didn't see that one.

Thanks for the informative post. Here are some answers to your questions:

a) academic center
b) west coast or a cool, big city
c) research is relatively important
d) either
e) see b
f) yes but both open to a move
g) maybe hearts, regional, and cc
h) think my stats are decent, nothing exceptional at this point
i) big city
j) solid program with a good reputation

Well, you're flexible, I'll give you that. :)

Apply broadly at this point, that's all I could offer. You're years ahead of me. Pick 10 cities and spread out from those places applying in the wheel and spoke model of Delta Airlines North American hubs. i.e. haphazardly until satisfied you land in enough cities to meet a critical mass all the while providing inferior leg room to your neediest customers.

Good luck.

D712

Thanks for the informative post. Here are some answers to your questions:

a) academic center
b) west coast or a cool, big city
c) research is relatively important
d) either
e) see b
f) yes but both open to a move
g) maybe hearts, regional, and cc
h) think my stats are decent, nothing exceptional at this point
i) big city
j) solid program with a good reputation

Based on that, I'd look into:
USCD, UCSF and Stanford, WashU (STL), Emory, Northwestern, UChicago, Yale, Duke, Penn, Pitt, MGH, BWH... Probably some of the NYC programs (I'm less familiar)

This is absolutely not an inclusive list and I can't guarantee how competitive you'll be... just a few places you might like and want to look into further.

5) Step 1 = 240

I'm confused as to why your shelf exam scores are suffering when you've done so well on other tests during your first two years. Or... are you starting MS3 now? Which means you are only a month and a half into your MS3.... which means you have not yet taken a single shelf exam.

If anything, shelf exams are easier than basic sciences in MS1 and MS2.

You have a great Step I score, so you'll get your interviews. PhD and publications will only help you, not hinder you. Do remember that MS3 grades are very important. How you fare in clinical rotations reflect how well you get along with staff, colleagues, attendings, patients and their families, etc. You know, EQ vs IQ.

Based on that, I'd look into:
USCD, UCSF and Stanford, WashU (STL), Emory, Northwestern, UChicago, Yale, Duke, Penn, Pitt, MGH, BWH... Probably some of the NYC programs (I'm less familiar)

This is absolutely not an inclusive list and I can't guarantee how competitive you'll be... just a few places you might like and want to look into further.

Awesome! I presume I am out of the running for places like UCSF and Stanford but I guess there is no harm in applying and seeing what happens. Thanks :)