This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mindfxck

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As of now, I am about 5 credits away from ending my sophomore year of college. Because I took some time off of school, I plan to receive my BA in the fall of 2018 or winter of 2019 (normally, I would've finished undergrad in the spring of 2018). I plan to apply for medical school around this time in hopes of starting in the fall of 2019.

As important as grades are, I have had a lot of hardships during my first two years of college and am recovering steadily. I am doing well in my classes now and am a good student when under the right conditions (proper self-care, going to therapy, taking anti-depressants, etc.) and would like to build a stronger application through activities outside of my academics, because I know the grades I have already received are critical to whether or not I am viewed as a decent applicant. I don't want admissions to think I am unstable (it can be seen clearly in my transcript); I want them to see improvement in my academics as well as my overall health.

What looks best? Volunteering, work, research? Extracurricular activities? A combination of all? I currently volunteer for an organization that prepares and serves meals at homeless shelters in my area (about once a week, for two hours). I want to become a red cross volunteer (my dad's cardiologist said it would be possible to shadow physician through red cross, it also seems interesting), a MultiCare volunteer (just for experience in the hospital), and there are job opportunities as a medical scribe (would this count as clinical experience?). There are also international medical volunteer trips in multiple countries (such as my "other home"--would this mean anything? Is this beneficial in any way?). When and how do I go about research? Should I speak to a pre-med advisor? I participate in Intervarsity; should I participate in more non-medical related groups?