What Radiology programs would be within my range?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steve_Zissou

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I’m a 3rd year DO student with a step 1 of 249. I was wondering what would be some reach/possible programs available to DOs with this kind of score? I’m pretty set on radiology at this point and would love to train somewhere that provides me the opportunity to get a decent fellowship (maybe IR?). I’ve looked at frieda but it doesn’t really tell you what programs are “good” with regards to their reputation in the medical community.

Members don't see this ad.

3rd year also. I think just a step 1 score alone can’t exactly give you an idea of programs in your range by itself. Depends on research, third year grades, step 2 scores, etc. 249 with a couple pubs, majority honors and comparable step 2 score is a lot different than 249 with weak research and not many honors

Reactions: 1 user
3rd year also. I think just a step 1 score alone can’t exactly give you an idea of programs in your range by itself. Depends on research, third year grades, step 2 scores, etc. 249 with a couple pubs, majority honors and comparable step 2 score is a lot different than 249 with weak research and not many honors

I'm going to try to get one publication and one case study. I was more wondering what kind of places this opens up for a DO student. I know most top-tier programs are still unavailable to me no matter how high I score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to try to get one publication and one case study. I was more wondering what kind of places this opens up for a DO student. I know most top-tier programs are still unavailable to me no matter how high I score.
Are you dual applying DR and IR?

Assuming you get published and do very well in third year you could be probably be competitive for programs just outside the top 25-35 depending on how DO friendly each program is. For example , UNC/UPMC have each taken DO’s before

Almost everyone dual apply’s who is trying for IR.

Sounds like I may be applying to both. I love being hands on, but I also am really satisfied by coming up with a solution and moving on (I don’t really want to keep up with patients on long term care like diabetes, heart issues, etc).

If someone does a IR residency, can they still do a mix of diagnostic and interventional when they get into practice?

Sounds like I may be applying to both. I love being hands on, but I also am really satisfied by coming up with a solution and moving on (I don’t really want to keep up with patients on long term care like diabetes, heart issues, etc).

If someone does a IR residency, can they still do a mix of diagnostic and interventional when they get into practice?
Most do.

As much as it sucks, I would recommend doing a surgery internship, if you have a strong interest neuro IR do a neurology focused internship internship.

If not fully committed to IR, would consider just applying to DR with ESIR option. I have seen some students with buyers regret when they start to see the lifestyle differences between IR and DR. If you ultimately pursue IR , and join an IR/DR group you will be in the minority and realize you will have to do much more call compared to your DR counterparts as there is no teleradiology option for IR. A few busy IR sub internships can give you a feel of what the lifestyle is like, which will be more challenging to appreciate this year. Surgical rotations such as vascular surgery will give you a reasonable reflection of the day to day existence of a modern day VIR.

If not fully committed to IR, would consider just applying to DR with ESIR option. I have seen some students with buyers regret when they start to see the lifestyle differences between IR and DR. If you ultimately pursue IR , and join an IR/DR group you will be in the minority and realize you will have to do much more call compared to your DR counterparts as there is no teleradiology option for IR. A few busy IR sub internships can give you a feel of what the lifestyle is like, which will be more challenging to appreciate this year. Surgical rotations such as vascular surgery will give you a reasonable reflection of the day to day existence of a modern day VIR.

I think that option is one that seems more appealing to me. Part of me wanting radiology is not having crazy call or crazy hours all the time. I’d love to have mostly predictable hours with some crazy days here and there to keep things lively.

Realistically, I don’t know enough about the lifestyle/day to day life of an IR doc to know if I want it. One of my mentors is a DR doc who has talked with me about DR extensively and really got me on the path to even considering DR. I suppose I should reach out within my community and see if I can do an IR rotation at some point.

I think that option is one that seems more appealing to me. Part of me wanting radiology is not having crazy call or crazy hours all the time. I’d love to have mostly predictable hours with some crazy days here and there to keep things lively.

Realistically, I don’t know enough about the lifestyle/day to day life of an IR doc to know if I want it. One of my mentors is a DR doc who has talked with me about DR extensively and really got me on the path to even considering DR. I suppose I should reach out within my community and see if I can do an IR rotation at some point.

If you’re on the fence, my vote would be to apply DR only. Anecdotally it seems like many residents interested in IR change their mind to DR. The other way around is less common. I’m not sure it’s wise to commit yourself to an IR tract unless you’re sure about it. Plenty of quick procedures to be had in DR without the downsides of call/lifestyle that are inherent to IR. If you do wind up wanting to do IR, you’ll be in good shape at a program with ESIR, as irwarrior stated above.

Yes. Many students have historically come into DR training with an interest in IR, but once they see that they can do some degree of procedures (nonvascular) biopsies, arthrogram, myelograms, LPs, paracentesis/thoracentesis, etc without having the call or on average longer day that IR has, they tend to decide on DR.

Successful IR is becoming much more like surgery and the hours and demands are much greater. In DR you can usually work 8 to 5 with a lunch break (though it is certainly getting busier) and in IR you tend to have surgical type days when you are working in the procedural suites as there are so many add ons on top of your elective cases (depending on your hospital size).

Thank you all for the feedback, it’s good to hear these things. I think I’m probably going to continue to pursue DR and decide later on IR. Now I’ve just gotta focus on good rotations and a good step 2 so I can set myself up for a good residency.

Honestly, my dream would be Yale, but that’s just knowing the name and what I’ve seen on doximity and FREIDA. I’m sure my opinion will change as I go through rotations and experience more.