What 's the signifigance of a "please apply" letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuikClot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a letter from Washington University saying they got my MCATs and they'd like me to apply (I already have). Who else has got these letters, and are they a good sign, or just junk mail?

Members don't see this ad.

As you know, WashU's students have the highest average MCAT scores in the country. Not that they're a numbers ***** or anything, but they just send those out to fish for applications. I got one last year after my August MCAT (and I hadn't planned to apply that cycle), got my hopes up, but then found out that it's just junk mail.

it seems that wash-u sends that letter to everyone with a certain mcat score or higher... not sure what exactly the score is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Indiana sent me a "please apply" letter last year and even guaranteed an interview over the phone when I called to inquire. So I bit... LIARS.

MedicineBird said:
Indiana sent me a "please apply" letter last year and even guaranteed an interview over the phone when I called to inquire. So I bit... LIARS.

Sucks to hear that. I thought the carribean schools were the only ones that did that stuff.

well if they really just wanted the money, they can easily raise the application fee. It's currently a low $50. Many state schools charge more than that!

As someone else already said, you've received that viewbook and invite to apply b/c you did well on the MCAT. Based on your MCAT score, the school thinks you could be a competitive applicant. But, they don't know anything else about you, and it is not any kind of guaranteed interview or acceptance. If you're interested in academic medicine and/or a career in research, you should definitely consider Wash U.

QofQuimica said:
As someone else already said, you've received that viewbook and invite to apply b/c you did well on the MCAT. Based on your MCAT score, the school thinks you could be a competitive applicant. But, they don't know anything else about you, and it is not any kind of guaranteed interview or acceptance. If you're interested in academic medicine and/or a career in research, you should definitely consider Wash U.

Research -- puke.

Give me a 3 Mac blade and a crashing COPDer any day of the week. ;)

"Please send us $60 so that we can instantly reject you and spend the money on providing interview oppurtunities for students that we might actually accept."