Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What 's the signifigance of a "please apply" letter?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by QuikClot, Nov 26, 2005.

1. QuikClot

QuikClot Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I got a letter from Washington University saying they got my MCATs and they'd like me to apply (I already have). Who else has got these letters, and are they a good sign, or just junk mail?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    As you know, WashU's students have the highest average MCAT scores in the country. Not that they're a numbers ***** or anything, but they just send those out to fish for applications. I got one last year after my August MCAT (and I hadn't planned to apply that cycle), got my hopes up, but then found out that it's just junk mail.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. werd

werd Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    it seems that wash-u sends that letter to everyone with a certain mcat score or higher... not sure what exactly the score is.

4. MedicineBird

MedicineBird Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Indiana sent me a "please apply" letter last year and even guaranteed an interview over the phone when I called to inquire. So I bit... LIARS.

5. Jon Davis

Jon Davis I killed the bank.
    10+ Year Member

Sucks to hear that. I thought the carribean schools were the only ones that did that stuff.

6. dr.z

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I think they just want the application fee.

7. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    well if they really just wanted the money, they can easily raise the application fee. It's currently a low $50. Many state schools charge more than that!

8. MadameLULU

MadameLULU Saucy
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree. Sounds like in addition to being a number *****, Wash U is also a money *****

9. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    As someone else already said, you've received that viewbook and invite to apply b/c you did well on the MCAT. Based on your MCAT score, the school thinks you could be a competitive applicant. But, they don't know anything else about you, and it is not any kind of guaranteed interview or acceptance. If you're interested in academic medicine and/or a career in research, you should definitely consider Wash U.

10. QuikClot

QuikClot Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Research -- puke.

Give me a 3 Mac blade and a crashing COPDer any day of the week. ;)

11. Fermata

Fermata Hold me.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    "Please send us $60 so that we can instantly reject you and spend the money on providing interview oppurtunities for students that we might actually accept."