What 's the signifigance of a "please apply" letter?

QuikClot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2005
Status
Medical Student
I got a letter from Washington University saying they got my MCATs and they'd like me to apply (I already have). Who else has got these letters, and are they a good sign, or just junk mail?

ahumdinger

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2005
Status
Medical Student
As you know, WashU's students have the highest average MCAT scores in the country. Not that they're a numbers ***** or anything, but they just send those out to fish for applications. I got one last year after my August MCAT (and I hadn't planned to apply that cycle), got my hopes up, but then found out that it's just junk mail.

werd

15+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2004
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
it seems that wash-u sends that letter to everyone with a certain mcat score or higher... not sure what exactly the score is.

About the Ads

MedicineBird

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
Status
Indiana sent me a "please apply" letter last year and even guaranteed an interview over the phone when I called to inquire. So I bit... LIARS.

Jon Davis

I killed the bank.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2000
In your consciousness.
Visit site
Status
MedicineBird said:
Indiana sent me a "please apply" letter last year and even guaranteed an interview over the phone when I called to inquire. So I bit... LIARS.
Sucks to hear that. I thought the carribean schools were the only ones that did that stuff.

ahumdinger

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2005
Status
Medical Student
well if they really just wanted the money, they can easily raise the application fee. It's currently a low $50. Many state schools charge more than that!

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2004
KNOTSville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
dr.z said:
I think they just want the application fee.
I agree. Sounds like in addition to being a number *****, Wash U is also a money *****

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
As someone else already said, you've received that viewbook and invite to apply b/c you did well on the MCAT. Based on your MCAT score, the school thinks you could be a competitive applicant. But, they don't know anything else about you, and it is not any kind of guaranteed interview or acceptance. If you're interested in academic medicine and/or a career in research, you should definitely consider Wash U.

QuikClot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2005
Status
Medical Student
QofQuimica said:
As someone else already said, you've received that viewbook and invite to apply b/c you did well on the MCAT. Based on your MCAT score, the school thinks you could be a competitive applicant. But, they don't know anything else about you, and it is not any kind of guaranteed interview or acceptance. If you're interested in academic medicine and/or a career in research, you should definitely consider Wash U.
Research -- puke.

Give me a 3 Mac blade and a crashing COPDer any day of the week. ;)

About the Ads