What school should I accept an offer to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mynameisn'tmerideth

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm feeling extremely confused about what school to accept an offer to.

Marian University vs KYCOM. I'm from Indiana but did my undergrad far away. I think being close to home would be of benefit but is not a huge factor. I also don't mind a small, rural setting and I like being outdoors. Should my desire to go somewhere "new" and different from Indiana be a factor or no? By the way i'm interested in primary care specialities- family med, obgyn, and peds

KYCOM:
Pros- Cheaper tuition, low cost of living in Pikeville, could do my 3rd and 4th year at home as they have a core clinical site in my hometown, new building, super supportive community, I loved my interview there and loved the med students that talked to me all interview day, established since 1997
Cons- some required lectures although students have told me that they aren't mandatory beyond first few weeks, reputation among students doesn't seem that great? ie some have told me "everyone gets in there"

MUCOM:
Pros- Closer to home, reputation good, supportive community, new building, non-mandatory lectures
Cons- new school (although doing well and has good reputation), would live in Indy for all 4 years (no chance to go home for 3/4th year to save money), wasn't as impressed with community or students who I talked to during interview

Let me know your thoughts. thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't consider MUCOM a 'new' school anymore because they're fairly established. They have a great rotation sites plus you would be in an urban area (if that matters to you). However, if you didn't feel a good vibe from the school, then definitely trust your gut. KYCOM has a good reputation and is well established. You have two good choices to pick from :)!