What schools do you think I have a realistic chance at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasUT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Texas Resident
State school- highest ranked in state
cGPA 3.67
sGPA 3.75
MCAT 35 V9 P14 B12 W:p

Have good shadowing (200hours), volunteering hospital (90 hours), extracurriculars good

I have applied to all Texas schools and am considering the following:

Johns Hopkins
Wake Forest
Georgetown
NYU
Columbia
Mount Sinai
Boston U
Mayo
Duke
Harvard?

Do you recommend any additional schools or can you comment on if you think I am wasting my time applying to these schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT is a little unbalanced, but your GPA is pretty good and sounds like ECs are good. If money isn't too tight for you, you might want to add a few mid-tiers in, but I would think that you would have a great shot at all the Texas schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Texas Resident
cGPA 3.67
sGPA 3.75

Have good shadowing (200hours), volunteering hospital (90 hours), extracurriculars good

Johns Hopkins
Wake Forest
Georgetown
NYU
Columbia
Mount Sinai
Boston U
Mayo
Duke
Harvard
?

Do you recommend any additional schools or can you comment on if you think I am wasting my time applying to these schools?

All the bolded are definitely reaches (aka get rid of like half of them and replace them with mid tiers).... Could you elaborate a little more about your "good extracurriculars?" These top schools need to usually see research and something else that makes you stand out of the rest of the pack.

Also, Sinai might be in range for your stats, but i think starting next year half their students will come from their FLEXMED program.

I have research experience in chemistry, presentations but no publications. My ECs are some orgs on campus and honor societies. I have been pretty active in most but no officer positions.

I have research experience in chemistry, presentations but no publications. My ECs are some orgs on campus and honor societies. I have been pretty active in most but no officer positions.

How long did you do research? What kind of presentations were they (campus poster vs. national conference poster)? Do you have any other kind of volunteering (tutoring, animal shelter, food bank, etc.)? Did you start any of those organizations (or help start)?

Add Vanderbilt, and ALL schools in PA, including U Penn. Nothing wrong with aiming high. Try all school in Chicago as well, except U ILL.

Texas Resident
cGPA 3.67
sGPA 3.75

Johns Hopkins
Wake Forest
Georgetown
NYU
Columbia
Mount Sinai
Boston U
Mayo
Duke
Harvard?