What schools screen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adcadet

Long way from Gate 27
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all -
just wondering if we could start a list of med schools that screen who they give secondaries to (if this hasn't been done already), and what their apparent standards are. Right now I'm particularly interested in hearing if U Pitt screens.
Adcadet

Members don't see this ad.

For starters:

U Pitt
Wake Forest
USUHS

I think their screening process is mostly based on MCATs and grades.

;)

Stanford
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
UCI
UCD
Pitt
USUHS
Wake Forest

Members don't see this ad :)
Somebody please add U Mich.
When they send you a secondary, you haven't been screened. But once they receive your secondary, they screen you to get LORs. Only 40 percent get letters to send out LORs.

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
When they send you a secondary, you haven't been screened. But once they receive your secondary, they screen you to get LORs. Only 40 percent get letters to send out LORs.

That's a weird way of doing it.

did they request your LORs?

no, I haven't done their secondary yet. i am sending it today.

Did you hear otherwise? I let these people know based on what you said the other day in the thread.

I don't know that the above information is entirely accurate. Just to fill in the pieces:

1. UMich has also already sent out interview requests based on the primary application only, ie before anything else was submitted. This was true for both in-state & out-of-staters.

2. UMich has send out LOR requests based on primary application only. This was true for both in-state & out-of-staters.

They are prolly one of the schools that breaks the pool up ~25%/50%/25%.

UMich sent my LOR request before I filled out their 2ndary..only 40% get it, that's a published fact..check the MSAR.

It was my u nderstanding that interviews based on primaries are ONLY for instaters..not out of staters. I heard that out of staters get theirs only after sending in both the 2ndary and LORs.

true?

I know that someone on here got a UMich interview already..was it..SP? I dont remember. Whatever, the case, are you an out of stater? Did you send in your 2ndary, LORs?

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
UMich sent my LOR request before I filled out their 2ndary..only 40% get it, that's a published fact..check the MSAR.

It was my u nderstanding that interviews based on primaries are ONLY for instaters..not out of staters. I heard that out of staters get theirs only after sending in both the 2ndary and LORs.

true?

I know that someone on here got a UMich interview already..was it..SP? I dont remember. Whatever, the case, are you an out of stater? Did you send in your 2ndary, LORs?

i received the LOR request, but not the interview invite. however, some SDNers from cali got an invite a few days after they received the secondary application email online. You can search for the thread if you want, it was about two weeks ago.

ah, ic. Well, that sucks for us. MAybe they were Mich residents?

I hope you and I get interviews..stat!

you get the stanford 2ndary? Duke?

i got an interview without filling out secondary or sending in LOR. i am out of state but from the east coast.

good luck. i am sure you will get one soon!

I don't think U. Pitt screens.....at least the 2001-2002 MSAR says this.

X

Members don't see this ad :)
according to the 2002 edition of the Princeton Review Complete Book of Medical Schools, the following schools screen:

Arkansas
UCDavis 50%
UCIrvine 33%
UCLA 55%
UCSD 40%
UCSF 30%
Case Western
Duke 60%
East Carolina out-of-staters only
East TN State 33%
Eastern VA 50%
Florida 50% in-state, 33% out-of-state
MCG out-of-staters only
Hawaii
UIC 33%
Indiana out-of-staters mostly
Iowa
Kansas 100% in-state, 10% out-of-state
Louisville
Loyola "minimum requirements"
Maryland 100% in-state, 25% out-of-state
Mayo 15% LOR
South Carolina out-of-state and minority only
Mercer "meet minimum requirements" 70% in-state
Miami 75% in-state, 20% out-of-state
Michigan State 25%
Michigan
MN, Duluth
Morehouse 80%
NE 100% in-state, 5% out-of-state
UNC 50% in-state, <10% out-of-state
NE Ohio 30%
Northwestern 70%
OH State "competitive applicants"
MCO 75%
OR Hlth Sci 50%
Pitt
South Alabama 100% in-state, 25% out-of-state
South Carolina 100% in-state, 40% out-of-state
Stanford
Uniformed Hlth Srvcs 80%
Utah "many"
Vandy 22%
VA Commonwealth 75% in-state, 40% out-of-state
Wake Forest 50%
U of Washington out-of-staters only
Wayne State 50%
West VA out-of-staters only
Wisconsin out-of-staters only

can you tell i'm procrastinating?!?!?!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
i know you feel me
:love: :love: :love:

those are the percentages of applicants that receive secondaries

all the more reason for me to feel bad for my cali friends out there applying to med school. you have less than a 50 percent chance of even getting a secondary at most schools? geez thats disheartening. :(

x, pitt is definitely screening. there was a flame war about this a week ago.

bump...

pretty useful post to all of us wondering about secondaries...

U Mich is all crazy. I think they give some pref. to CA residents (And MI of course). I got an interview request before I sent them any LOR, secondary, or $$$. They probably put a lot of people on hold after their interviews or something. I don't know. The dates for interviews that they offered were as early as Sept 6th. A bit early I think since a lot of schools don't even look at completed apps until after labor day. I guess they want to woo people into coming to their school by making them fell wanted. Hmmm...

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
I know that someone on here got a UMich interview already..was it..SP? I dont remember.

thanks for thinking so highly of me. but alas, i am not that good. :)

Originally posted by smid
U Mich is all crazy. I think they give some pref. to CA residents (And MI of course). I got an interview request before I sent them any LOR, secondary, or $$$. They probably put a lot of people on hold after their interviews or something. I don't know. The dates for interviews that they offered were as early as Sept 6th. A bit early I think since a lot of schools don't even look at completed apps until after labor day. I guess they want to woo people into coming to their school by making them fell wanted. Hmmm...

Yeah, they get so many CA/MI applicants, that I think they do those first. They scheduled some people for interviews before receiving secondary/LORs...craziness...

-RA

I know Cincy doesn't screen for their secondary. Anyone can go on line and fill it out. Whether they interview you or not is the question. I guess you have to look at your total app before deciding how many of the secondary apps to complete. It may not be financially feasible to apply to schools where their MCAT averages are substantially higher than yours unless you have some great LOR's and EC's. They all hold out the few people that they take with lower scores to give you hope but those are the exception, not the rule. It is very similar to gambling on horse racing. Plopping down 5K on the long shot may net you a great result, but chances are that you will lose. The real question is, how much are you willing to spend for a chance at winning?

Originally posted by kathleeya
according to the 2002 edition of the Princeton Review Complete Book of Medical Schools, the following schools screen:

Arkansas
UCDavis 50%
UCIrvine 33%
UCLA 55%
UCSD 40%
UCSF 30%
Case Western
Duke 60%
East Carolina out-of-staters only
East TN State 33%
Eastern VA 50%
Florida 50% in-state, 33% out-of-state
MCG out-of-staters only
Hawaii
UIC 33%
Indiana out-of-staters mostly
Iowa
Kansas 100% in-state, 10% out-of-state
Louisville
Loyola "minimum requirements"
Maryland 100% in-state, 25% out-of-state
Mayo 15% LOR
South Carolina out-of-state and minority only
Mercer "meet minimum requirements" 70% in-state
Miami 75% in-state, 20% out-of-state
Michigan State 25%
Michigan
MN, Duluth
Morehouse 80%
NE 100% in-state, 5% out-of-state
UNC 50% in-state, <10% out-of-state
NE Ohio 30%
Northwestern 70%
OH State "competitive applicants"
MCO 75%
OR Hlth Sci 50%
Pitt
South Alabama 100% in-state, 25% out-of-state
South Carolina 100% in-state, 40% out-of-state
Stanford
Uniformed Hlth Srvcs 80%
Utah "many"
Vandy 22%
VA Commonwealth 75% in-state, 40% out-of-state
Wake Forest 50%
U of Washington out-of-staters only
Wayne State 50%
West VA out-of-staters only
Wisconsin out-of-staters only

can you tell i'm procrastinating?!?!?!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
i know you feel me
:love: :love: :love:

Thanks so much for the information, but can you tell me which page is this information located on in the Princeton Review Book?