What schools should I aim for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ireallylikeburritos

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just finished up my junior year, so I will be submitting my AMCAS app in June. Personal statement is already done blah blah blah... here are the nitty gritty details and I thank you so much in advance for your time:

I go to a smaller, private liberal arts school. Biochemistry major with minors in Honors (kinda lame I know lol), Religion, Biology, and Ethics.

3.9 GPA, 3.85ish science GPA.
Took the 2015 MCAT in April and the prelim ranking says that I fall in the 64-74th percentile.
2 research projects (each over the course of a year, and one continuing into a second year): One looking at cancer drugs. The other is more of an analytical chemistry project.
I have a pretty reputable research internship this summer at a hospital.
VP of the pre health club.
VP of the chem club.
Part of the biology club.
Shadowed and volunteered since senior year of high school.
Freshman ACS chemistry award (this one was a regional award that included other universities)
Sophomore and junior student of the year chemistry award at my university.
Chemistry stockroom Assistant Manager for two years.
Honors peer mentor for the Honors program.
Chemistry/Biology tutor.
1st Place in an undergraduate research business idea contest (Is this relevant at all????)

Overall, that is where I stand. Aside from school, I am a musician: drums, guitar, some piano :p, I play on various slow pitch softball teams (Woo for washed up baseball players!!), and I really enjoy Chipotle burritos (Could Chipotle help me stand out?) ... I'm a pretty personable dude, and I will have 3-5 really strong LORs.

I completely understand that nobody has the answers regarding the new mcat, but 64-74 percentile is around a 26-30ish on the old MCAT (please call me out if I'm wrong), and it looks like it will be around a 503-507 on the new MCAT (again, this is speculation).

Where should I look at applying? I am flexible and open-minded to any locations. I want to reach for my dream schools such as UNC or Dartmouth, but I need to stay realistic about things. I guess a better question would be, do I appear to be a fairly competitive MD applicant? Thanks for your time. It is greatly appreciated. I am trying to be positive about all of this :)

Members don't see this ad.

Any DO school
All the new MD schools except Hofstra, Central MI and VA tech
Your state schools
All lower tier MD schools (say, LizzyM score in high 60s) and that are NOT mission-specific, like Mercer or HBCs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks @Goro, I really do appreciate the input. It blows my mind that the MCAT has that much weight.... My biggest concern is whether or not my app will be immediately thrown in the paper shredder with my current MCAT "score". I've got the ECs, the LORs, and my personal statement will certainly help. So, a medical school like Ohio State would just dismiss me if you had to be blunt and honest about it? (and I am from Ohio... maybe that would help....). Gahhhh :(

Based upon the old MCAT, you're around 27-29. Not lethal, but not great. Your best chances for any MD school will be with the OH schools, except Case.

Thanks @Goro, I really do appreciate the input. It blows my mind that the MCAT has that much weight.... My biggest concern is whether or not my app will be immediately thrown in the paper shredder with my current MCAT "score". I've got the ECs, the LORs, and my personal statement will certainly help. So, a medical school like Ohio State would just dismiss me if you had to be blunt and honest about it? (and I am from Ohio... maybe that would help....). Gahhhh :(