What schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realtalk15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I should preface this by saying I have not yet taken my MCAT but if any of you would be kind enough to give me a list of MD schools I should apply to given my stats below given a certain MCAT score range, I would be very grateful.

Schooling
  • I graduated undergrad at a state College with a GPA of 2.95, which translates to an AMCAS GPA of 2.8.
  • I will finish my post-grad at NJMS with a 3.7 (This includes an A in a medical school course that only select students get invited to take)
Extracurricular
  • I have taken part in three hospital internships, two abroad and one in the USA.
  • I was part of the First-Aid squad for 1.5 years
  • I am currently doing research with a professor at NJMS.
  • I taught abroad as an ESL teacher

If you feel that my undergrad GPA would be too low to overcome despite the improved post-grad GPA and that I should apply to D.O. schools, then please list what D.O. schools I should apply to.

Members don't see this ad.

Without an MCAT, it's hard for anyone to provide quality feedback. Unless you wanted someone to take time to compose a list of schools for every possible mcat score you get.

Without an MCAT, it's hard for anyone to provide quality feedback. Unless you wanted someone to take time to compose a list of schools for every possible mcat score you get.

That makes sense. I do aim for a 515 as I know I need an excellent MCAT score to compensate for my low undergrad GPA; I know a 515 is easier said than done.

I think it would be prudent to go ahead and plan on applying to DO schools as well. Nothing is ever certain in the crapshoot that is the application process (MD or DO), but even if you do knock the MCAT out of the park it doesn't necessarily "forgive" the GPA. However, as I'm sure you know, there are many other factors to an application other than GPA, so definitely apply to both if you have the money/time. Best of luck!