Medical What schools should I apply to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I earned my undergraduate degree in 2005, and my GPA was pretty low around 3.0 cumulative. I completed recent coursework, including a master's degree in nursing in 2014 with a 3.92 GPA. I then did some prerequisites for med school from 2017-2019 (Gen chem, org chem, physics, biochem, genetics) all 4.0.

My overall cumulative undergraduate GPA on AMCAS is 3.2 which I assume is my undergraduate and recent prereqs averaged together. What will schools look at? Is my GPA competitive or are my undergraduate grades from 15+years ago going to hurt me?

My MCAT was 514, I have years of clinical experience (nurse) and have decent leadership, serving underserved populations, volunteering, etc. I limited my school selection based on economic factors (places where my husband can transfer to for work).

I applied to:
BU
Tufts
UMass
Harvard
Dartmouth
UCSD
EVMS

Are any of these schools likely to give me a chance or am I up the creek?
Harvard and UCSD were donations

ADD:
UNECOM
VCOM
PCOM
CUSOM

You might not have enough credits of post-bac to prove that you can handle med school...I normally recommend 30 hrs

Members don't see this ad.

BU, tufts, Umass, EVMS all seem reasonable. Dartmouth is a bit of a stretch. The others are reaches. However, if your husband is important to you and you would not go to medical school away from him, then you made the right choice. Just wait and see what interviews you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.