Medical What schools should I apply to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am creating a school list for the upcoming cycle and would appreciate any input.

Finished up a well known SMP in May 2020 and currently working in clinical research (will have 2 more publications by the time I apply). 1000+ hours in clinical and non-clinical volunteering (hospitals + local food pantry + teaching for underserved students). 1 publication in a top surgical journal (not first-author). 50 hours of shadowing (30 hours - cardiologist; 20 hours - plastic surgeon). Other miscellaneous activities during college include working for 2 summers at a hospital lab as a research intern, tutoring at an underserved high school, leading a cultural group, and a cooking club), hired as TA for upper level chem and intro bio in college.

state of residence: MA and I'm an ORM
science major from a top 3 liberal arts: cGPA - 3.3 sGPA - 3.1 known for grade deflation
SMP GPA: 3.54 (subpar performance in fall (3.0) but I fixed my poor habits and pulled a 4.0 in the spring)
MCAT: 521

Concerns:
- poor performance in undergrad
- poor performance in fall of smp but i've talked to my advisor about it and she can explain the discrepancies between fall and spring in LOR
- some questions I have are should I take more classes to try to raise my undergrad gpa? what are my next steps to prepare for the upcoming app cycle? I am heavily leaning towards MD schools.

Thank you so much!
I recommend:
Columbia
Vandy
Dartmouth
BU
Duke
Pitt
Mayo
Mt Sinai
Keck (maybe)
UCSF
EVMS
U Miami
Hofstra
Emory
Jefferson
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
Your state schools
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wake
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Wayne State
Netter
NYU.LI

Any DO program. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

Members don't see this ad.

Agree with @Goro 's list. Unfortunately, it sounds like there will be no way for your to enter the home MD from your SMP due to your performance?

If you are heavily leaning MD then apply with the application you have, focus on state or less comp MD schools like UMass, if that doesn't work and you don't get any love, you should think about finding a way to either a) increase your GPA to make yourself more competitive which im not sure if or how you could do that after taking an SMP or b) consider some DO programs into your reapply list.

Status
Not open for further replies.