What schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JerseyBelle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious. I got my MCAT scores back, and I got the following:
In order VS,PS,WS,BS: 9,5,S,9
I can not afford to take the exam over again. Trust me on that. I would like to know what allopathic schools I could look at seriously. I have extensive work experience, volunteering at hospitals, currently volunteering with a mental health adovcacy group. I have a MS in Micro and a BS in Bio (3.4, and 3.2 respectively).

Thank you
Belle

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you are a URM, the chances of getting into an allopathic are slim-to-none. you really need to get your score to a 27 at least. DO schools are definitley an option you should consider. But I suggest saving money and take the test again, you have to get that PS score up!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by JerseyBelle:
•I would like to know what allopathic schools I could look at seriously. •••••Not to be cruel, but unless there are some extenuating circumstances, a 23 with that GPA just won't cut it at any Allopathic Medical School that I know of. I would retake the MCAT in August. You got a 5 on the PS section. That's prolly the easiest section to increase. If you could bump it up to at least a 9, then you may have a shot at some of the lower tier schools. Sorry, this process sucks. I can't advocate that someone spend thousands of dollars when they're not competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree w/ what both of the above posters have written. :( Your verbal and writing scores are good, but that 5 in PS will hurt you. Consider retaking even though you said "I can not afford to retake the exam over again." Or else, look into other routes.

JerseyBelle,
Don't gave up hope!!! If you really want to become a doctor then you have to make some sacrifice. You definetly want to get that MCAT score up to have a chance because some medical school won't even look at your application if its not at least a 27. I know as a college student (and your predicament, money is problem very tight)things are vey tough but like I said, "you have to sacrifice now to get what you want." If you could rack up the finances, you could have even a bigger chance if you attend a post-bacc program. They are really expensive but say that they have almost a 90% and greater chance to get you into medical school. Or save more money and take the MCAT again while taking some classes at your university with a loan. You definetly have a chance but you have to take up the challenge and use every oppurtunity avaible to achieve your mission ...getting into med school. -Well, that is what I keep telling myself. Good luck and you will be in my prayers.

To answer the question of Mr. H; I am an URM (African-American), and I also possess a MS in Biol. Things aren't really great at home, and I work full time to help out. I just don't have the funds to plunk down right now.

Did you apply for financial aid for the MCAT and applying to schools? It is really a simple form and I didn't even know about it so I didn't save on the MCAT (it knocks the MCAT price down from 170 to 75) but then it allows you to apply to ten schools for free. If you are facing tough financial times, you may be eligible for it. Definitely worth a try.

If you can not afford to take the mcat again then you definitely can't afford to apply to med school. Get the money! Work, beg, steal, whatever, but if you dont have some money, it's impossible to apply to med school. I spent around $6000 on the whole process. I suggest you save some money, retake the mcat and unless you get above a 27, apply to osteopathic schools. If you really want to become a doctor, take any route that will get you there. Good luck!

Jerseybelle sorry to say but even for a URM a score of 5 on any MCAT section will more than likely not cut it. I am looking at the Minority Student Opportunities in US Medical Schools from the AAMC (this book is a must for any URM) and on page 305 it has a table that gives the profile for all applicants *accepted* to medical shool for the eyar 1999 (and scores have been creeping up). Well for URM the lowest MCAT section score is a 6.3 on VR and it is for the C/wealth Puerto Rican.If you want all the URM breakdown I will be more than happy to oblige. Retake the MCAT if you want to get into medical school.

Jersey,

considering your circumstances, i'd be willing to send you a few bucks toward the MCAT fees. If others would be willing, you'd have the money to take the test again.

your state schools may overlook your low mcat, considering your graduate degree and ECs. why don't you call, and potentially meet with, the deans of umdnj-newark and umdnj-rwj. they may be able to provide you with more realistic advice. i vaguely remember someone on interviewfeedback.com stating that they got into rwj with a mcat very similar to yours.

i wish you the best of luck.

dirty jerzey to the fullest.

souljah

I got a few bucks on it as well. If you are going to retake, I'm sure we could get you the money

okay,
you got me. I'm in too. Where do I send the money while still mantaining my anonimity (right spelling??)
Please tell me how, when and IF I should send the money.
Tweetie

When and where do I send the donation? :)

All is not lost, JerseyBelle. I suggest you call both RWJ and Newark and ask for a counseling interview to discuss your situation. LISTEN, DON'T ARGUE.

At RWJ, ask to speak with Betty Treadwell-Olgesby.
The main Admissions number is 732/235-4576

At Newark, try to speak with Dr. Roberto Gomez.
505/272-2728

You can be upfront with them; no games. Tell them who you are.

Where do you go to college?