What schools should I apply to?

Started by lstarr2002
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

L

lstarr2002

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of applying to pharmacy schools right now, and I am having trouble compositing a list of schools I should be applying to.

My GPA is average (about 3.4) but I was fortunate enough to receive a high PCAT score this August (98 composite).

I know I am going to be applying to all the California schools (I live in California and I know going to an in-state school will save me a lot of money) but I also know that with my weak GPA I might have a better chance at out-of-state schools which take the PCAT into consideration.

So I was wondering if people can give me suggestions on some non-CA pharmacy schools? I know that I definitely want to go to a school with full-accreditation... and I really would rather go somewhere that's some-what close to a city (where I would be able to satisfy my Asian needs...). But I'm open to all suggestions so please help!

Thanks a bunch!!
 
Apply to schools where you wouldn't mind living for 4 years.
Well I've only lived in California and haven't had much chance to visit anywhere else ... so I really am not sure where I would like to live in for the next four years....

That's why I am asking for suggestions. Can people tell me about a few schools and what the surrounding area is like? 😀 I know all the school websites only tell you about how great the school is and show you pretty pictures.... so I want real opinions and thoughts about schools from actual pre-pharm/pharm students. Help please~
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of applying to pharmacy schools right now, and I am having trouble compositing a list of schools I should be applying to.

My GPA is average (about 3.4) but I was fortunate enough to receive a high PCAT score this August (98 composite).

I know I am going to be applying to all the California schools (I live in California and I know going to an in-state school will save me a lot of money) but I also know that with my weak GPA I might have a better chance at out-of-state schools which take the PCAT into consideration.

So I was wondering if people can give me suggestions on some non-CA pharmacy schools? I know that I definitely want to go to a school with full-accreditation... and I really would rather go somewhere that's some-what close to a city (where I would be able to satisfy my Asian needs...). But I'm open to all suggestions so please help!

Thanks a bunch!!

What the hell is an Asian need?

Anyway I recommend UF, although I believe I may be violating the SDN Terms of Service by doing so.
 
Maybe fixes for yellow fever? 😛

Probably cultural goods like groceries and events? I don't know... it wasn't that weird the first time I read it.
 
You know, the ease of obtaining common things Asians use and consume.

Like for my Scots-Irish Appalachian family, our needs would amount to a liquor store, a place to buy ammo, and a store that accepts EBT cards.
 
I know I am going to be applying to all the California schools (I live in California and I know going to an in-state school will save me a lot of money)

Not true for California residents. Aside from UCSF, California schools are very expensive and you might actually end up saving more if you go out of state.

... and I really would rather go somewhere that's some-what close to a city (where I would be able to satisfy my Asian needs...)

Is this supposed to be obvious?😕 I am really curious as to what you mean by Asian needs lol
 
Do you guys not know what comfort food is? C'mon. It's not that hard to figure out. I couldn't live without Mexican food (among other ethnic foods- sushi, pho, ethiopian, indian, southern BBQ etc etc). For some people who are away from home, that is important.

OP, come to the UofA. We have some amazing faculty, new facilities, some sweet rotation sites, international opportunities, research galore, and all the perks that come with having all the health disciplines in our own little corner of the campus next to the UMC. Not sure about OOS tuition but I pay 20K a year in state (after all the fees and everything)
 
Okay, Okay. As absurd as I think this topic is I'll rep UNM.
It's actually a really good school that many people don't look into. Many people think "Oh it's just a desert." so they typically blow it off. I'm looking at you Delano.😉
When you actually get here it is absolutely beautiful. You have mountains framing one side of the city with the Rio Grande running straight down the middle of town with the Bosque surrounding it with trails running throughout. Also New Mexico has all 4 seasons which is awesome. You have to love snow, because if and when it snows it can snow(sometimes).

The University is connected to NobHill which is an ecclectic neigborhood with some interesting shops and really good resturants. UNM is also a few blocks down from our limited downtown. Here you can visit the resturants and Bars which are frequented by students.

Now the actuall CoP is part of the UNM north campus which many students enjoy. Being part of north campus means the school is on the same campus of UNM Hospital and not part of Main Campus. This means the only students on your campus are Nursing, Medicine, and Law students. This is a plus for many who don't want to be around Undergrads. Plus it is a small schools whic is a plus for some with an entering class of 85

The school has many opportunities being attached to a medical school and hospital. Plus, if nuclear pharmacy is your thing UNM actually has one of the highest presences in the field.

Now the "Asian" needs. There is actually a significant Asian presance in parts of Albuquerque. A quick drive up Central Ave(appx a few miles east of campus) will put you in the Asian part of town. Dated and being friends with Asians have actually shown me that their are small grocery stores and shops that cater to their cultural needs.

The good or the bad. UNM is a state school. It gives a high preferance to New Mexico residents as it is required too. Typically only 10-15 OOS students are excepted out of it's class of ~85. Another thing is the high OOS tuition for the first year. However, I believe you can claim IS tuition after one year which is dirt cheap. Living in Albuquerque is also Dirt cheap if you are coming from California.

In conclusion. UNM is a top school if you can live in NM( I personally could not live anywhere else for an extended period of time).
I'll also add that we have a great basketball team😉.
http://hsc.unm.edu/pharmacy/
images
 
If you have as high PCAT I recommend Ferris. otherwise WAYNE is GREAT! But then again U of M is the best of the best of the best. As they pride themselves on. Yes Mike they are pretentious B******s.

Frankly I don't recommend Michigan if you're coming from Cali though. We have way to much snow here, you couldn't handle it. your best bet in my opinion is probably U of A, NYU, or U of W school of pharmacy in Seattle, it's rainy but you can handle that. Plus it's a great school.
 
Just wanted to say that NYU doesn't have a pharmacy school :d although I really wish it did & most CA schools won't care about a high PCAT score. So unless you get into UCSF/SD, tuition isn't going to be "cheap". Unless of course, it's really close by to where you live in which case you can save some on housing and such.
 
All of the above answers are wrong. The posters are suffering from "Go to my schoolitis."

You want to be close to other Asians as their presence will make you more comfortable. And that's perfectly normal and fine. My looking at this map:

asianmap1.gif


If you want to be around large Asian communities, look into California, New York, Seattle, D.C., Chicago, Houston, or maybe Philadelphia. They each have numerous schools. Philly has like 5 of them.
 
All of the above answers are wrong. The posters are suffering from "Go to my schoolitis."

You want to be close to other Asians as their presence will make you more comfortable. And that's perfectly normal and fine. My looking at this map:

asianmap1.gif


If you want to be around large Asian communities, look into California, New York, Seattle, D.C., Chicago, Houston, or maybe Philadelphia. They each have numerous schools. Philly has like 5 of them.

UF has a huge asian population. Largest minority group in my class as a matter of fact. Don't worry we can take care of all your asian needs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All of the above answers are wrong. The posters are suffering from "Go to my schoolitis."
.
Actually, no. I find the OP's laziness a turn off, and I don't attend the COP nor do I plan too.
The reason I gave information about UNM is because it is the school I know.
 
Just wanted to say that NYU doesn't have a pharmacy school :d although I really wish it did & most CA schools won't care about a high PCAT score. So unless you get into UCSF/SD, tuition isn't going to be "cheap". Unless of course, it's really close by to where you live in which case you can save some on housing and such.

Sorry St johns university in New york, Which get's a lot of it's funding from NYU. my bad.
 
I would like to add that there are a lot of asians in my class 🙂
That seems to be the case for alot of Colleges of Pharmacy. Actually it seems to be for most Graduate programs. Asian-Americans seem to be overrepresented in colleges.
 
That seems to be the case for alot of Colleges of Pharmacy. Actually it seems to be for most Graduate programs. Asian-Americans seem to be overrepresented in colleges.

we all know Asians ruined engineering by flooding the market, the IT / computer science field, and now pharmacy.

what next?

(im asian so its not racist if i say it)