What schools start clinical rotations full time in 3rd year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fly Racing

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard there is considerable variation in when students begin clinical rotations. It seems like the norm is the summer before your 4th year. What schools start earlier? I know Western starts at beginning of 3rd year (and years 1-2 might be year round??)

Members don't see this ad.

UGA starts March of third year I think. We have third years now, so I know it's the that year, but I am not completely sure if it is March. But I think so. :laugh:

Penn has a couple options. You do 2.5 years of regular classroom and then you can either:
1. Do "small animal block" and "large animal block" which are all electives in the classroom. Large animal block is 3rd quarter and small animal block is 4th quarter.
2. Skip one block and you are in clinics for that quarter.
3. Skip both blocks and do "early entry" into clinics halfway through your third year. They emphasize that they cannot guarantee early entry but everyone that has asked so far has been granted early entry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Michigan State starts rotations 2nd semester (early January) of 3rd year.

Tuskegee and Mississippi State University start veterinary students on rotations in their 3rd year. :D

Organized :)
I held off on Tuskegee and Mississippi in hopes that someone will know which quarter or semester!

Michigan State University: Michigan State starts rotations 2nd semester (early January) of 3rd year.

University of Georgia:
UGA starts March of third year I think. We have third years now, so I know it's the that year, but I am not completely sure if it is March. But I think so.

University of Missouri: Missouri is a 2+2 program.

University of Pennsylvania:
Penn has a couple options. You do 2.5 years of regular classroom and then you can either:
1. Do "small animal block" and "large animal block" which are all electives in the classroom. Large animal block is 3rd quarter and small animal block is 4th quarter.
3. Skip both blocks and do "early entry" into clinics halfway through your third year. They emphasize that they cannot guarantee early entry but everyone that has asked so far has been granted early entry.

Western University: 2+2 program

Michigan State University: Michigan State starts rotations 2nd semester (early January) of 3rd year.

University of Georgia: UGA starts March of third year I think. We have third years now, so I know it's the that year, but I am not completely sure if it is March. But I think so.

University of Illinois: You do clinics 3 times during your education:
1. First 8 weeks of first year. (minimal responsibility)
2. Second 8 weeks of second year. (minimal responsibility) (first 8 weeks are in the classroom while first years are in the clinics)
3. Start in March of third year and go through your fourth year including third year summer.

University of Pennsylvania: Penn has a couple options. You do 2.5 years of regular classroom and then you can either:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure UFlorida starts clinicals the summer after your 2nd year. We don't get our second summer because of clinicals starting. Someone correct me if I'm wrong before I add it to the list

SGU: You have rotations at the small animal clinic during your fifth semester in the morning (in addition to sx lab and others, and classes in the afternoon). In your 6th semester you have large animal ambulatory rotations, small animal emergency rotations, and labs in the afternoons/evenings every day in addition to classes in the morning.

University of Georgia: UGA starts March of third year I think. We have third years now, so I know it's the that year, but I am not completely sure if it is March. But I think so.

2. Second 8 weeks of second year. (minimal responsibility) (first 8 weeks are in the classroom while first years are in the clinics)
3. Start in March of third year and go through your fourth year including third year summer.

University of Pennsylvania: Penn has a couple options. You do 2.5 years of regular classroom and then you can either:

Mississippi starts third year clinical rotations (Equine and Food Animal (6 weeks each), Radiology, Anesthesia, Lab Services (4 weeks each), and Small Animal Surgery, Community Vet Service (6 weeks each)) the day after your second year finals are over.

You get one 12 week block as a break to take at some point during your third year. Hope this helps your list.

For what its worth, I do LOVE the 2+2 program... I've already done 20+ spays and neuters; more then half on my own with a doctor in the next room.

SGU: You have rotations at the small animal clinic during your fifth semester in the morning (in addition to sx lab and others, and classes in the afternoon). In your 6th semester you have large animal ambulatory rotations, small animal emergency rotations, and labs in the afternoons/evenings every day in addition to classes in the morning.

RVC: We start fulltime rotations February of our 3rd year (in the 4 year program). However during the 2nd year you are required to do 10 weeks of clinical experience in various vet practices.

Last edited:

Mississippi State University: starts third year clinical rotations (Equine and Food Animal (6 weeks each), Radiology, Anesthesia, Lab Services (4 weeks each), and Small Animal Surgery, Community Vet Service (6 weeks each)) the day after your second year finals are over. You get one 12 week block as a break to take at some point during your third year. 4th year is made up of mostly Advanced Clinical Rotations, Externships, Electives, and Graduate courses - you can choose.

RVC: We start fulltime rotations February of our 3rd year (in the 4 year program). However during the 2nd year you are required to do 10 weeks of clinical experience in various vet practices.

Mississippi State University: starts third year clinical rotations (Equine and Food Animal (6 weeks each), Radiology, Anesthesia, Lab Services (4 weeks each), and Small Animal Surgery, Community Vet Service (6 weeks each)) the day after your second year finals are over. You get one 12 week block as a break to take at some point during your third year. 4th year is made up of mostly Advanced Clinical Rotations, Externships, Electives, and Graduate courses - you can choose.

University of Florida: Clinics begin at the end of second year. This year they begin their clinical clerkship responsibility on May 18th. They will be in clinics through the summer and through fall semester of 3rd year. In January they will go back to the classroom for a year. This is when they track and they will take classes spring semester of 3rd year and fall semester of 4th year. This gives them the summer between 3rd year and 4th year off so they can do a ton of amazing externships. They already have 8 months of clinics experience so from what I've been told they're usually more experienced than other externs. Having classes instead of clinics is also really helpful fall semester of 4th year so you have more time to study for boards. Then they go back into clinics for spring semester of 4th year. Everyone I've spoken with loves this system. They say that you get sooo much more out of the classes you take after clinics because you can relate it all to what you've already seen.