What schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CJ122638

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm sure you get posts like this all the time, and I'm sure it gets irritating, but I dont really know what to think of my DAT scores/chances at any school.

Here goes:

BIO 22
GenChem 21
Orgo 16
RC 20
MATH 16

TS 20
AA 19
PAT 19

CUM GPA 3.41
BCP GPA 3.46
SCI GPA 3.19
NON SCI GPA 3.72

So I will have a bio BS, and a Micro MS. I have approx 100 dental volunteer hours at the free clinic (lots of hands on work).

I know the 16s are really going to hurt, but are the other scores good enough to soften the blow a little? Will I be competitive at any schools? Here is where I am thinking to apply:
VCU (the state where i live now), UNLV (my in state school), U Maryland, NYU, Temple, ASDOH, USC, Case. What do you guys think?

Thanks soooo much for any input, and good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Well overall i'd say your scores are average and your GPA is about average to maybe slightly below average. I can't say for sure that your scores are going to make you competative at any given school. I suggest you check with the schools to see if they have minimum score requirements or what their average gpa and DAT numbers are. This should give you a good idea of where you stand. I'd say with your scores you have a good chance of getting into school if you apply. Especially given your numerous degrees and volunteer work your chances are better. I think your scores are good enough for the most part. Applications are not just scores. However if you have the extra time, money, and feel it necessary to take another DAT before you apply, then by all means do so. It can't hurt. To give you an idea all of my GPAs, science, no science, cum, etc were all well above average but my DAT scores weren't stellar, I'd say across the board they were about average except 2 sections. One i got a 14 on and another i got a 16 on, granted these scores weren't on the AA, TS, or PAT, which averaged out to be much higher. I still got accepted to 3 schools. Even with those little blemishes. Whether it was my personal statement, high GPAs, LORs, or dental involvement I can't be certain. So don't get too worried. Also I would suggest removing UMDNJ from your apply list and add a school like Boston U. good luck and don't stress too much.

TheJuneSpirit00 said:
Well overall i'd say your scores are average and your GPA is about average to maybe slightly below average. I can't say for sure that your scores are going to make you competative at any given school. I suggest you check with the schools to see if they have minimum score requirements or what their average gpa and DAT numbers are. This should give you a good idea of where you stand. I'd say with your scores you have a good chance of getting into school if you apply. Especially given your numerous degrees and volunteer work your chances are better. I think your scores are good enough for the most part. Applications are not just scores. However if you have the extra time, money, and feel it necessary to take another DAT before you apply, then by all means do so. It can't hurt. To give you an idea all of my GPAs, science, no science, cum, etc were all well above average but my DAT scores weren't stellar, I'd say across the board they were about average except 2 sections. One i got a 14 on and another i got a 16 on, granted these scores weren't on the AA, TS, or PAT, which averaged out to be much higher. I still got accepted to 3 schools. Even with those little blemishes. Whether it was my personal statement, high GPAs, LORs, or dental involvement I can't be certain. So don't get too worried. Also I would suggest removing UMDNJ from your apply list and add a school like Boston U. good luck and don't stress too much.

What do you have against UMDNJ? It seems like every time you post, you are telling people not to go there...

Members don't see this ad :)
HermeytheElf said:
What do you have against UMDNJ? It seems like every time you post, you are telling people not to go there...

haha, I think the poster is trying to lower the competion by getting others not to apply there. Okay everyone dont apply to any of the schools that are in my sig :D

jorUW said:
haha, I think the poster is trying to lower the competion by getting others not to apply there. Okay everyone dont apply to any of the schools that are in my sig :D
good idea

I hear at orientation at UW you have to eat a baby.

I'm not joking.

Why even bother applying to dental school you guys. If you're ready you can head over to the deep end and attend medical school.

armorshell said:
good idea

I hear at orientation at UW you have to eat a baby.

I'm not joking.

I heard they took turns heating up a #151 in the porcelain oven and branding the first years with it.

HermeytheElf said:
I heard they took turns heating up a #151 in the porcelain oven and branding the first years with it.
I've burned myself with so many forceps coming out of the sterilizers at work I think I can see the backwards 151 on my right hand :(

edit: At UW they don't make you collect teeth before class starts. But during orientation they lead you into a room with a pair of pliers and a bottle of whiskey and ask for a "donation." :scared:

armorshell said:
I've burned myself with so many forceps coming out of the sterilizers at work I think I can see the backwards 151 on my right hand :(

edit: At UW they don't make you collect teeth before class starts. But during orientation they lead you into a room with a pair of pliers and a bottle of whiskey and ask for a "donation." :scared:

I heard the same thing, except THEY drink the whiskey, then start pulling. I also heard that instead of giving you explorers in your instrument kit, at orientation they make you forge your own and cool them in a cup of your own blood-Captain Ahab style.

On a side note, it's awesome that we have UW stories as our own predent version of Chuck Norris/Bill Brasky.

Harmey, are you a washington resident? Shoot and here I thought Armortooth and I were the only two people applying to UW this cycle.

Dont forget that it rains everyday in Seattle, even the summers suck!!! ;)

HermeytheElf said:
I heard the same thing, except THEY drink the whiskey, then start pulling. I also heard that instead of giving you explorers in your instrument kit, at orientation they make you forge your own and cool them in a cup of your own blood-Captain Ahab style.

On a side note, it's awesome that we have UW stories as our own predent version of Chuck Norris/Bill Brasky.
At UW, one of the clinical requirements for graduation is a full mouth extraction on an angry wolverine. The only tool you are given is a wet match.

jorUW said:
Harmey, are you a washington resident? Shoot and here I thought Armortooth and I were the only two people applying to UW this cycle.

Dont forget that it rains everyday in Seattle, even the summers suck!!! ;)

Nope, not a resident, which means I can pretty much forget about getting an interview. Good luck to you two though.

armorshell said:
At UW, one of the clinical requirements for graduation is a full mouth extraction on an angry wolverine. The only tool you are given is a wet match.

At UW, the endo rotation in clinic is done at the asylum for the criminally insane. Anesthesia is administered Zidane-style.

HermeytheElf said:
Nope, not a resident, which means I can pretty much forget about getting an interview. Good luck to you two though.
I'm a resident and that's pretty much how I feel :laugh:

Oh yeah, in that endo rotation at UW, they don't give you rotary or hand files. You have to suck the decay out by mouth. If you're lucky, they may give you a straw.

In 1990, an east coast-west coast rivalry between the UW School of Dentistry and the Georgetown Dental School had escalated nearly to the point of bloodshed. UW offered to settle their differences in the form of a dance-off; Georgetown foolishly accepted. The fateful night arrived and Dr. Frank Spear, representing UW, took the stage and began to merengue. There were no survivors. Three weeks later, the equipment from Georgetown’s clinic was en route to a Jesuit university in Bogota, Columbia. True story.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i can't compete with you two.

Everything you say about the straw is true. I would know, I volunteer in the UW undergrad Endo clinic. haha

Speaking of Dr Spear, have you heard of Dr Koise (sp?) I think the two used to teach together for a little bit and than split off. I worked at a hotel across the street from his learning center on Lake Union (Seattle,Wa) and we housed a bunch of the dentists taking his courses. They talked as if he was a dental God. I think his son goes to Nova.