What Science to Take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joe101286

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new and I was a little hesitant to post because I'm sure the last thing a lot of pre-meds want to do is to spend time answering a HS Junior's questions. LOL But I liked what I saw and I thought it would be a great place to talk about questions and things on my mind about going for my pre-med.

The thing that I wanted to ask was, right now I'm taking Chem. Honors in my junior year. I was wondering next year what would be the better science course to take, Anatomy and Physiology or Physics? I personally would rather take Anatomy but I don't know if I'd be better off taking Physics. I actually don't have to take a science next year but I figured either one of the two is bound to help out in the future. Thanks for the advice in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

i would chose the physiology class.... as a physiology major, I know that it helped me A LOT on the MCATS and plus I really loved the material. It seems like you would prefer this class anyways, so why not take something that you would enjoy?

That was the way I was leaning on it, only because I wouldn't want to load down myself in my senior year with something like Physics. The only reason I was even considering it was because I was thinking a benefit to it would be I would be more familiar with the material when I had to take it in college. However I really would prefer anatomy, and either way I guess either class would come in handy. Thanks for the advice! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude-- get off this board! It's too early for you to get addicted!!! :laugh:

i think you should take whatever science you want to take next year. having had both anatomy/physiology and physcis, anatomy/physiology is much more fun in my opinion. the most important thing is to enjoy your senior year!!

If you are looking for college prep:
you will of course have to take all the pre-reqs in college - so the question becomes,which HS science will help you succeed in the equivalent series in college - I vote for physics - exposure to the concepts in HS will help you in college physics.

by the time you complete a year of general bio for your prereqs, you can decide whether you want to add colllege physiol as an additional MCAT prep course - HS physio would not help you as much here.

if you are looking just to take something - they are both interesting as HS subjects - take whichever one you think you'll enjoy.

LOL I know, I'm not going to get too crazy about all this, since I'm only a junior and I have a feeling I'm going to have enough headaches once I enter pre-med. LOL I just always like to be prepared, I'm one of those kinds of people that have everything all planned out. I've wanted to be in medicine since I was like 4, and I've gone through tons of stages where I wonder if that's the path I want to take but when it comes down to it making a difference in just one person's life seems worthwhile to me, and having my mother go through nursing school after deciding to change her carreer after 20 years in business also helped give me an appreciation for everything.

Thanks I really value everyone's opinions on this, I also think I'm going to ask both a guidance counselor and a teacher or two as well, but I guess if I had to pick based on preference it would be A&P, but I have a lot of time before I have to pick anyway. :)

I would take physics. True, it will be harder, but I think that colleges would be more impressed to see you taking physics, especially if you've already taken biology (at least, that was the case in my high school).

I would take physics if I were you. It will give you a chance to become somewhat familiar with the concepts of physics without the danger of wrecking your college GPA.