What separates you from other dental school applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harveydent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For me I'd say that I am working towards a minor Spanish as well as have completed an internship with a pharmaceutical company and thus I have legit professional experience with real world responsibilities.

Members don't see this ad.

For me I'd say that I am working towards a minor Spanish as well as have completed an internship with a pharmaceutical company and thus I have legit professional experience with real world responsibilities.

How long was the internship? I know internships with companies that last only 1 month while others a couple years. Plus, what were your duties? Saying you did an internship where you are a go boy/girl and your duties is to get the daily paper and coffee doesn't mean it is legit. I am not saying that is what you did. I am making a statement that that is what some interships entail. They are glorified assistant jobs. that is why I'd like to know what your duties were.

Plus, Spanish minor? Do you realize how many people can speak a foreign language who attend dental school - especially spanish?

I'd like to think my gpa sets me apart, as well as my service/volunteer experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am hotter than other ppl.

Id say im a Certified Dental Assistant and actually graduated from an institute in GA, worked with a pediatric and general dentist for a year as an assistant, I shadow my dentist every tuesday and thursday and have been for two years, work a full time and part time job to support my two kids and go to school full time (so I think I can handle the stress of dental school:D) and thats pretty much it!!! I have no life lol

For me I'd say that I am working towards a minor Spanish

Umm... pretty much half of the pre-health majors at my school have Spanish as a minor or as a second major, which is nice, but hardly unique... and they still got nothing on those English/Spanish bilingual kids

I'd like to think my gpa sets me apart, as well as my service/volunteer experience.

well i'd venture to say those are the common grounds on the majority of applicants, so not really something that will set you apart from other applicants...unless you have a 4.0 then that would be worth mentioning.

Members don't see this ad :)
well i'd venture to say those are the common grounds on the majority of applicants, so not really something that will set you apart from other applicants...unless you have a 4.0 then that would be worth mentioning.

I've got a 3.96. Not perfect but still above average, and I'm hoping that it will help me separate myself from the bulk of applicants.

In my opinion, adcoms really like to see that people are multifaceted and enjoy doing things that may be completely unrelated to dentistry. I had heard this before, but I didn't really fathom it until I went through several interviews.

For instance, I think I had excellent research experience-- I was one of the lead researchers that studied and found a new immunodiagnostic procedure for a systemic fungal disease, which was essentially unparalleled to how diagnosis was done at the time. My research was published nationally and was very well received. I also studied bacteria in a local pond and isolated a new genus of microorganisms. In my interviews, only one individual commented on any of my research.

However, I had two other experiences on my application that every single interviewer asked me about. The first was the fact that I was the co-founder of Scrabble Club at my university-- I've always had a blast playing the game and a buddy and I started the organization to create friendly competition around the University.

The second activity was a job that I started after graduation from college, where I ran (and still run) a federally funded research project focused on decreasing the mortality rate of American Indians and Alaska Natives who have been diagnosed with cancer (through education, health care navigation and community outreach).

Do things that YOU find interesting, and if you are truly passionate about it, you will find a way to naturally make it seem interesting and stand out to adcoms.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'd say me being Black helps me stand out. I interviewed at 7 schools and at every interview except UAB, I was the only black person interviewing. Also, my DAT is pretty good (20AA, 20TS) which is like a golden number, especially for black applicants. African American dentists are in small numbers and black dental students are very sparse too (except at Meharry and Howard). Me applying to others schools outside of these two definitely helped me.

Also, I wear bow ties to my interviews. Always a conversation starter and always was the only one with a bow tie. A self tie bow tie at that. Makes adcoms remember you when they meet you.

i'm an asian girl about to graduate with a degree in african studies! :) it's always a conversation starter!

Recent cancer survivor. NCAA athlete (football.) English major, which in itself is not overly unique, but I became a nuclear engineer as a submarine officer in the Navy. Drove a submarine under the North Pole and through the Panama Canal. Worked as a Russian nuclear weapons inspector for over 2 years under START. Still active duty and took DAT without taking Orgo and Bio so I could apply for this cycle. Managed to work full time, take prereqs and complete shadowing obligations.

Competed in a beauty pageant. I was bored.

Recent cancer survivor... Worked as a Russian nuclear weapons inspector for over 2 years under START.

related?

Competed in a beauty pageant. I was bored.

pictures or it didnt happen! :D

for me, i think it was over 500 hrs dental shadowing and interning experience, 2 years of genetics research leading to 3 publications, and of course my ridiculous good looks... :laugh:

I'd say me being Black helps me stand out. I interviewed at 7 schools and at every interview except UAB, I was the only black person interviewing. Also, my DAT is pretty good (20AA, 20TS) which is like a golden number, especially for black applicants. African American dentists are in small numbers and black dental students are very sparse too (except at Meharry and Howard). Me applying to others schools outside of these two definitely helped me.

Also, I wear bow ties to my interviews. Always a conversation starter and always was the only one with a bow tie. A self tie bow tie at that. Makes adcoms remember you when they meet you.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

related?

Unknown...although it IS thyroid cancer with no family history. Ionizing radiation (one of the potential detriments to thyroids) is one caused by leaky reactors and as fission by-products from nuclear detonations. Very difficult to prove from my time inspecting in Russia and operating naval reactors, as well as very difficult to refute. This is why I will be a disabled vet.

i'm not sure how relevant this is.... but i play in a rock band...

I have been an RDH for almost 3 years, have volunteered with RAM Clinic, was the lead of my department in retail for over a year, and volunteered at and donated artwork to a church in my hometown.

In my opinion, adcoms really like to see that people are multifaceted and enjoy doing things that may be completely unrelated to dentistry. I had heard this before, but I didn't really fathom it until I went through several interviews.

For instance, I think I had excellent research experience-- I was one of the lead researchers that studied and found a new immunodiagnostic procedure for a systemic fungal disease, which was essentially unparalleled to how diagnosis was done at the time. My research was published nationally and was very well received. I also studied bacteria in a local pond and isolated a new genus of microorganisms. In my interviews, only one individual commented on any of my research.

However, I had two other experiences on my application that every single interviewer asked me about. The first was the fact that I was the co-founder of Scrabble Club at my university-- I've always had a blast playing the game and a buddy and I started the organization to create friendly competition around the University.

The second activity was a job that I started after graduation from college, where I ran (and still run) a federally funded research project focused on decreasing the mortality rate of American Indians and Alaska Natives who have been diagnosed with cancer (through education, health care navigation and community outreach).

Do things that YOU find interesting, and if you are truly passionate about it, you will find a way to naturally make it seem interesting and stand out to adcoms.

Yes, definitely being well-rounded with a wide-variety of experiences is one of the main things they are looking for IMO.

For me it was being a D1 athlete, and competing in 2 Olympic Trials and international events. I am also a hardcore fly-tier, fisherman, and serious hunter, and most certainly am not a nerdy, socially awkward Bio major as stereotyped. Also having a background in hard work like roofing helped my cause.

I am a career changer. Spanish Education degree, then joined Peace Corps to teach English right out of college, came back to the States and decided to become a dentist.

I agree with Atticus-- find your passion and let that be the star that shines on your application. Adcoms want people who show commitment and endurance in an extra-curricular activity. They expect a minimum number of shadowing hours, volunteering hours, and gpa.

Are you guys trying to satisy your egos?

I am hoping my previous medical experience and patient care stands out for me. My GPA is anything but stellar due to my first attempt at college. I took five years off and have been 3.5+ since then. I have worked as a Medic doing 911 for six years full time and will have my nursing degree this year. I still have some time before I apply to get my GPA up as high as I can.

I am a Teach For America corps member who simultaneously earned a masters while teaching. I was definitely asked about this experience and, believe it or not, if "The Wire" is realistic.