What should I aim for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDcanada

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

First post here!! I am from Canada. Currently in third year. Planning to next next summer. I have a cGPA of 3.87 and science GPA of 3.92. My MCAT is 33 (BS12,VR10,PS11).
I think my EC is okay. I have pretty good research, volunteer experiences. However I don't really have any shadow experience since Canada don't really have that.
So I am wondering what kind of school should I aim for in US? I would like like to attend Columbia or Brown or NYU. Also I realize California schools may be a little bit out of reach for me, but do I have any chance there? I would like to go there for personal reasons as well.

Help would be much appreciated! thank yoU!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your ECs. I personally think it will be difficult to make Columbia or Brown.

NYU is... please please.. Canadians please stop putting them together in the same sentence!!! :p

Your MCAT score is on the low side for those highly-selective schools you've mentioned. Either retake it and improve your score, or notch down your aspirations a bit. Once you have the numbers, your ECs determine your competitiveness. Top schools expect you to stand out in some way, as they aspire to train future leaders in medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys.

First post here!! I am from Canada. Currently in third year. Planning to next next summer. I have a cGPA of 3.87 and science GPA of 3.92. My MCAT is 33 (BS12,VR10,PS11).
I think my EC is okay. I have pretty good research, volunteer experiences. However I don't really have any shadow experience since Canada don't really have that.
So I am wondering what kind of school should I aim for in US? I would like like to attend Columbia or Brown or NYU. Also I realize California schools may be a little bit out of reach for me, but do I have any chance there? I would like to go there for personal reasons as well.

Here are my two cents based on what I have experienced this application cycle:

Your GPA is solid, but I also agree that your MCAT numbers a slightly on the low side for Columbia or Brown... however, your ECs, volunteer and research may be able to make up for it. If you want to have a greater chance of getting into these schools, you may want to re-take your MCAT.

In terms of the Cali schools, U of C doesn't take many OOS students, let alone international students, so your best bet would be Stanford, USC or Loma Linda, as these schools accept Canadians.

Here are my two cents based on what I have experienced this application cycle:

Your GPA is solid, but I also agree that your MCAT numbers a slightly on the low side for Columbia or Brown... however, your ECs, volunteer and research may be able to make up for it. If you want to have a greater chance of getting into these schools, you may want to re-take your MCAT.

In terms of the Cali schools, U of C doesn't take many OOS students, let alone international students, so your best bet would be Stanford, USC or Loma Linda, as these schools accept Canadians.

c17h must be very smart and physically attractive to give such good advice. :banana:

c17h must be very smart and physically attractive to give such good advice. :banana:

Please Bannie...coming from the person who has an upcoming interview at Havarddddd :eek:

Please Bannie...coming from the person who has an upcoming interview at Havarddddd :eek:

no i dont
who put that silly idea into ur head:rolleyes:

on the other hand i do knw tat u are md2b at jefferson and u also owned me in a particular exercise course

and i oso knw not just r u md2b but oso 32b was it?:cool:

Hi guys.

I have to disagree with a lot of people on here. I think forgetting your Canadian status, you are competitive at all those schools mentioned. It's hard for anyone to get into these places, but your MCAT is within the accepted range and your GPA is well above the average at most of these schools. Personally, I have a 34T, 3.7 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA and have already interviewed at a ton of great schools: Cornell, Columbia, NYU, UPenn, Mt. Sinai, UChicago, UPitt, so I think you definitely have a chance if I was given a chance. That's not to say you're not facing an uphill battle...but despite consensus on here, you don't need to be an above average applicant for a particular school to be accepted (that's why half the class is BELOW AVERAGE).

If you don't feel like re-taking the MCAT (with a 33 score, you shouldn't)...I'd just apply broadly (including your dream schools) and see what happens. Good luck.

I have to disagree with a lot of people on here. I think forgetting your Canadian status, you are competitive at all those schools mentioned.

That's the problem, though. You can't "forget" OP's Canadian status. It's true that were OP a US applicant, his/her chances are significantly decreased. OP will be judged much more stringently. That's why we're suggesting to add more lower and mid-tier schools. A 33 MCAT would be fine for a US applicant with that fantastic GPA, but for a Canadian applicant a 33 means less. That's why people are suggesting a retake, I think.

Having said that, OP, I think you definitely have a good chance at med school here--it just might not be at your top choices. You should still apply there, though!

That gave me a good laugh.

Sorry if I offend you, but mdquestion, your statement was really funny. Especially because you listed the amazing schools you have interviewed at. I was laughing at how interviews are really random given your equally amazing lack of common sense and logic.

What you said about forgetting his Canadian status is similar to saying
Oh I have a 4.0, godlike ECs, but lets just forget my 21MCAT because well, I'll be competitive if I dont consider the MCAT as part of the application... LOL

And you got those interviews?
I guess you dont need logic to do well in undergrad...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not retake the 33. You are competitive at those schools (although international status is going to hurt you). Apply broadly, though.

The only CA schools that are worth applying to in your case are UCLA, UCSF, USC, Stanford, Loma Linda, and maybe UCSD. UCI and UCD accept almost no one from out of state.

That gave me a good laugh.

Sorry if I offend you, but mdquestion, your statement was really funny. Especially because you listed the amazing schools you have interviewed at. I was laughing at how interviews are really random given your equally amazing lack of common sense and logic.

What you said about forgetting his Canadian status is similar to saying
Oh I have a 4.0, godlike ECs, but lets just forget my 21MCAT because well, I'll be competitive if I dont consider the MCAT as part of the application... LOL

And you got those interviews?
I guess you dont need logic to do well in undergrad...

Wow. Definitely offensive bannie.... thanks for being a jack*ss...it's called civil communication and you should learn it if you want to be a physician who isn't a pompous douchebag. You're own logic seemed pretty flawed, especially because it didn't seem you read my entire post and the advice I offered. Maybe I'm naive about this, but I didn't think Canadian status had as much as an effect on admission as a 21 MCAT. One of my friends who I completed a medical program with was a Cornell undergrad from Canada who basically told me that Canadian applicants were not treated as international in the application process, but rather somewhere in between. He got a 32 MCAT and is at Brown right now. Which is below average for that school...and what? one of the schools the OP mentioned.

My point being....the OP has a great GPA. His MCAT is "meh" for these schools (just is mine) and probably worse because he is "Canadian", but re-taking a 33 MCAT is generally a bad idea for someone from ANY COUNTRY because of the risk of having the score go down. People with below average stats for TOP schools (and other deterrents...like "canadian" status) can still get interviews at their dream schools, so it's not as if he shouldn't apply to these places if he's in range for their accepted student MCAT and GPA. Instead, he should apply broadly to many tiers of schools (low and mid as well) without sacrificing trying for his dream schools if he really wants to go there. Adding that I thought he should apply broadly, but give his dream schools a chance if he wants to seems like pretty logical sense to me. I never said he'd get interviews or acceptances, but rather that there's isn't any hurt trying if you're ready to apply.

Last edited:
Wow. Definitely offensive bannie.... thanks for being a jack*ss...it's called civil communication and you should learn it if you want to be a physician who isn't a pompous douchebag. You're own logic seemed pretty flawed, especially because it didn't seem you read my entire post and the advice I offered. Maybe I'm naive about this, but I didn't think Canadian status had as much as an effect on admission as a 21 MCAT. One of my friends who I completed a medical program with was a Cornell undergrad from Canada who basically told me that Canadian applicants were not treated as international in the application process, but rather somewhere in between. He got a 32 MCAT and is at Brown right now. Which is below average for that school...and what? one of the schools the OP mentioned.

My point being....the OP has a great GPA. His MCAT is "meh" for these schools (just is mine) and probably worse because he is "Canadian", but re-taking a 33 MCAT is generally a bad idea for someone from ANY COUNTRY because of the risk of having the score go down. People with below average stats for TOP schools (and other deterrents...like "canadian" status) can still get interviews at their dream schools, so it's not as if he shouldn't apply to these places if he's in range for their accepted student MCAT and GPA. Instead, he should apply broadly to many tiers of schools (low and mid as well) without sacrificing trying for his dream schools if he really wants to go there. Adding that I thought he should apply broadly, but give his dream schools a chance if he wants to seems like pretty logical sense to me. I never said he'd get interviews or acceptances, but rather that there's isn't any hurt trying if you're ready to apply.

:rolleyes: Sorry. I didnt bother reading that rant. (it was too long and I my concentration span is around ~5 seconds...)
But I'm sure you have a good reason for coming up with the opinion that you can forget part of your application... the bad part of course.

To the OP, I don't think it's worth re-taking your MCAT...use that time to improve your essays and application.

However, being from Canada, it will be harder for you to get into some of the schools that have been listed on this thread.

I recommend visiting premed101 (a Canadian forum specifically for Canadian students applying to the US) and seeing the stats of some people who were accepted into the schools. http://www.premed101.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39 You can also post this exact thread on premed and see what Canadians have to say based on their experiences.

There is one thread on that forum that has a compiled list of Canadian friendly schools.

LOL are you drunk or was that on purpose? :laugh:

I think it was both.

:rolleyes: Sorry. I didnt bother reading that rant. (it was too long and I my concentration span is around ~5 seconds...)
But I'm sure you have a good reason for coming up with the opinion that you can forget part of your application... the bad part of course.

K I'll summarize. Don't be a pompous douchebag. Read posts in their entirety before misinterpreting them and commenting like a douchebag. That is all. :D

Hey man im in a similar boat
-Canadian, 3rd year, 3.92 cGPA 3.85 sGPA, Average EC's & reaserch, 32 MCAT

your not alone! my plan is basically to just apply to a bunch of mid-teir schools and a couple high end ones.

Why is it that Canadian status decreases ur chances?? whats wrong with Canadians? doesnt make sense to me. If anything I would think it would be a plus because you will be bringing a different perspective to the school.

your not alone! my plan is basically to just apply to a bunch of mid-teir schools and a couple high end ones.

Why is it that Canadian status decreases ur chances?? whats wrong with Canadians? doesnt make sense to me. If anything I would think it would be a plus because you will be bringing a different perspective to the school.

Some schools may see it that way, but the reality is you're an international applicant.

K I'll summarize. Don't be a pompous douchebag. Read posts in their entirety before misinterpreting them and commenting like a douchebag. That is all. :D

I read them in their entirety.
At least the first one.
The second one was just a silly rant. I'll leave that to your mom on your girlfriend. :rolleyes:

There is nothing wrong with being a Canadian.
But US schools have to protect the future of their country, and that is by producing citizens who will definitely stay and practice in the US after they are done med school.

You have spent your entire life in Canada I suppose?

Its the same in all countries.

:oops: Good luck with your application.

To the OP, I don't think it's worth re-taking your MCAT...use that time to improve your essays and application.

However, being from Canada, it will be harder for you to get into some of the schools that have been listed on this thread.

I recommend visiting premed101 (a Canadian forum specifically for Canadian students applying to the US) and seeing the stats of some people who were accepted into the schools. http://www.premed101.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39 You can also post this exact thread on premed and see what Canadians have to say based on their experiences.

There is one thread on that forum that has a compiled list of Canadian friendly schools.

I think it was both.

I don't get drunk, I fall asleep BEFORE I get drunk.

On the other hand.... :rolleyes::D:oops:;):p:p:p:p

But river-appreciation,

based on your app, if you havent received interviews from Cornell/Columbia shouldnt OP improve MCAT?

His application seems relatively similar to yours.
Well unless you have Columbia/Cornell/NYUssssss ... which then let me profess my jealousy ;)

Some schools may see it that way, but the reality is you're an international applicant.

You're not always an international applicant akin to most other international applicants....especially if you went to school in the US for all of your undergrad. Some schools think of Canada as the 51st state, some probably don't. I know this tangentially through my Canadian friend who applied a few cycles ago and ended up getting into his top choice school (Dartmouth). I'd applying to the broad range of low, mid, and top tier schools assuming you have the finances.

Good luck!

You're not always an international applicant akin to most other international applicants....especially if you went to school in the US for all of your undergrad. Some schools think of Canada as the 51st state, some probably don't. I know this tangentially through my Canadian friend who applied a few cycles ago and ended up getting into his top choice school (Dartmouth). I'd applying to the broad range of low, mid, and top tier schools assuming you have the finances.

Good luck!

Yes MDeast is also right. some schools consider Canadian as the 51st state. At some schools, quite a substantial amount in fact,
its US>CA>International

:oops:

You guys will all do well with your stats anyway. c17h is md2b =P

I don't get drunk, I fall asleep BEFORE I get drunk.

On the other hand.... :rolleyes::D:oops:;):p:p:p:p

But river-appreciation,

based on your app, if you havent received interviews from Cornell/Columbia shouldnt OP improve MCAT?

His application seems relatively similar to yours.
Well unless you have Columbia/Cornell/NYUssssss ... which then let me profess my jealousy ;)

The OP stated that he/she would like to get into Cornell/Columbia, but I thought that he/she just wanted to get into med school. If the OP is just trying to get into any school, I think 33 is fine (it's higher than mine!). If the OP is trying to get into top tier, then you may need 35+ to increase chances (although there are some people who can get into top tier with 33).

Apply early, apply broadly and apply smart... chances are, you'll get into a school with those stats (they're very similar to mine!)

I think being Canadian does decrease your chances (slightly), because you are international. Since schools are investing money into your education and giving you a spot in their class, American schools prefer to take US citizens who they know will stay in the country and serve US residents. They know Canadian citizens may return to Canada after completing their education. However, many schools will look beyond this, and you will have a great shot with those numbers! (assuming your ECs are up to par).

Hi guys.

SCREW BROWN.:mad: Brown can go sit together with NYU! :laugh: