What should I aim for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jarkmones

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so, 3.5 cgpa, 3.1 sgpa, 33L mcat with 11s across the board. I'm a creative writing major, I did a summer of research at harvard, two summers as an orderly in a surgery wing, shadowed a couple of docs for a summer...

The highest ranked place I'm considering applying to is Brown. Do I have any shot at it? I think my major should help, only my sgpa is pretty low. any suggestions? I'm claiming Tennessee residency.

Members don't see this ad.

so, 3.5 cgpa, 3.1 sgpa, 33L mcat with 11s across the board. I'm a creative writing major, I did a summer of research at harvard, two summers as an orderly in a surgery wing, shadowed a couple of docs for a summer...

The highest ranked place I'm considering applying to is Brown. Do I have any shot at it? I think my major should help, only my sgpa is pretty low. any suggestions? I'm claiming Tennessee residency.

I basically have your application, except with slightly higher science gpa...I am applying incredibly broadly to like 30 schools all mid-tier. You don't have a shot at brown....but apply to all your in state schools and lots and lots of mid-tiers out of state.

Your BCPM GPA is below the bottom tenth percentile for both your state schools. As you create a school list, you might want to keep an eye on that number (per the MSAR).

You might consider spending another year raising your BCPM with some As in upper-level science classes, unless you have a recent steep upward grade trend.

Or, you could also consider adding some DO schools to your list to improve your chances of an acceptance.

If you don't have them, consider adding to your EC list some nonmedical community service, leadership, and/or teaching. Regular (weekly) clinical experience would be nice to see also.