What should I do during my gap year to strengthen my apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angeldd22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
School: UCLA
Major: Biology
Cum GPA: 2.98
Pre-req GPA: 3.4
GRE: 153 quant, 155 verb (first practice test--haven't taken the actual yet)
Shadows:
-50 hours at an outpatient center
-35 hours at an inpatient center for peds and neuro patients
-will be starting at another inpatient neuro soon
Extra-Curriculars/Jobs:
-Student supervisor for 3 years for both departments of our Interlibrary loans
-Tutored middle schoolers for one quarter during freshman year
-Fitness and Nutrition instructor for elementary school kids my last year

I know my cum GPA is very low--due to me not knowing what to do my first 2.5 years and not being motivated. I'm planning to retake some prerequisite classes, namely my Chem courses and will still have to take my Psych and Physio pre-reqs. I'm taking a gap year to focus on improving my app, but I'm not sure what else to do other than doing the aforementioned, getting more observation hours and studying for the GRE. Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes do what you mentioned, but when you do your observation hours, make sure that you SHOW how motivated you are to the PTs. It's one thing to be there and simply document those hours etc but if you can build relationships with most of them and ask questions questions questions, they'll know you're in this for the long haul and write you an even better LOR when the time comes. Because they know you want to learn, they'll be more inclined to teach you their ins and outs of PT.

Volunteer at a Skilled nursing facility, one of the most difficult PT locations to work at but highly respected since it shows dedication to the field. I agree with the above poster make sure you make connections, I had the same undergrad cGPA as you from UCI but about 3k PT hours and another 3k hours in other medical fields. If it weren't for me being selective in what schools I apply for and making sure my application was perfect Im not sure I would have made it in tbh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Volunteer in a hospital and work as a tech and if need be retake the GRE again and again that’s what I did during my gap year