What should I do for couple months before school starts??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

2018PharmD

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be starting my pharmacy school this summer!
I only got couple months.. and right now all I'm doing is.. this crazy over time!
I'm currently working so I'm like doing much over time as possible to save up some money..
Honestly I'm soooo terrified about dropping everything (my stable full time job) and going back to poor student status...:arghh:
I didn't save up any money... ugh very fool of me...:bang:... so thats what I'm doing..
I feel like I need a job.. at least a part time job while I'm in school ...

What your advice on getting a part time job while in school?
I'm thinking of doing a pharmacy tech position however, I'm not certified..
should I start applying to pharm tech jobs now? would they take me as a pharm intern?
 
Apply early. Preferably, before/around a pharmacy intern graduates. That's when stores usually look for replacements, anyway.

And you can only work as a pharm intern once school starts. If you want to work before that, you will need to be a technician. If your state requires you to be a certified tech, it's up to you I guess if you want to go through that whole process. The processing time might take awhile though so I'm not sure if it's really worth your time and money. Otherwise, you can just be a cashier in the pharmacy. You'll still learn a lot and can just switch titles once your intern license comes in.
 
I currently work 8-10 hrs a week while in school. While its not a lot of money it still helps and is completely doable. Some people I go to school with still wor 30-40 hrs which is just crazy. But everyone is different so it will depend.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's definitely a good idea to work while you're in school, even if only for a little bit. Snag an intern position wherever (we're in virtually no position to negotiate so take what you can get) and get yourself in the door.
 
I currently work 8-10 hrs a week while in school. While its not a lot of money it still helps and is completely doable. Some people I go to school with still wor 30-40 hrs which is just crazy. But everyone is different so it will depend.

I did it, 30+ hours during school year, 60+ during breaks, but then I didn't have parents who could fincially help me out,.
 
I did it, 30+ hours during school year, 60+ during breaks, but then I didn't have parents who could fincially help me out,.
Yea if you have to make it happen then you will. I got to school with someone who has 4 kids and still works 30 hours a week as an RN. Not because she wants to but because she has too.
 
I will be starting my pharmacy school this summer!
I only got couple months.. and right now all I'm doing is.. this crazy over time!
I'm currently working so I'm like doing much over time as possible to save up some money..
Honestly I'm soooo terrified about dropping everything (my stable full time job) and going back to poor student status...:arghh:
I didn't save up any money... ugh very fool of me...:bang:... so thats what I'm doing..
I feel like I need a job.. at least a part time job while I'm in school ...

What your advice on getting a part time job while in school?
I'm thinking of doing a pharmacy tech position however, I'm not certified..
should I start applying to pharm tech jobs now? would they take me as a pharm intern?

What should you do right now?

Relax. Don't stress out. Don't worry about what's coming in pharmacy school - you can't prepare for it, with the exception of memorizing your top 300 brand/generics right now which, since you're working (in a pharmacy I assume) already, you probably have a decent handle on.

Should you get a job in pharmacy school?

That depends on three factors: 1) What are your academic expectations 2) What are your financial needs 3) What are the requirements for licensure in the state you hope to live in
1) Academic expectations - while I do know people who work 20-30 hours a week and make very good grades, they are the exception and not the rule, and they don't tend to do a lot outside of work, school, and study
2) Financial needs - depending on how expensive your school is and what kind of loans or financial aid you get, this may dictate whether or not you should get a job during school
3) Licensure requirements - many states (but certainly not all) require a certain number of intern hours be completed outside of your pharmacy school rotation hours. This may also dictate whether or not you should get a job.

If you don't have to get a job from a financial standpoint, I would wait until you get your first year of pharmacy school under your belt. It varies by program, but my first year was by far the hardest (27-28 exams EACH semester - it was literally like 2-3 a week most of the time). Once you know what you can handle and what kind of free time you will have, that will give you a better idea about what you need to look for in an intern job.

Also, when you do go to apply for a job, I would apply to as many chains and hospitals as you can. I sent my CV (resume) to all major chains and several independents and grocery store pharmacies and only heard back from one. I have heard that a lot of stores simply don't have the intern budgets they used to in addition to the fact that they aren't having to try to rope people in as interns due to the moderate saturation we have in pharmacy right now.

Just my $0.02 though. Good luck in school!
 
Yea if you have to make it happen then you will. I got to school with someone who has 4 kids and still works 30 hours a week as an RN. Not because she wants to but because she has too.
there are some people out there that put me to shame, and that is one of them. I honestly never felt like I didn't have enough free time. I studied, hung with friends, got blasted on the weekends, and still found time for work. I guess when you are 18-25 you truly live by the mantra, sleep when you are dead.
 
What should you do right now?

Relax. Don't stress out. Don't worry about what's coming in pharmacy school - you can't prepare for it, with the exception of memorizing your top 300 brand/generics right now which, since you're working (in a pharmacy I assume) already, you probably have a decent handle on.

Should you get a job in pharmacy school?

That depends on three factors: 1) What are your academic expectations 2) What are your financial needs 3) What are the requirements for licensure in the state you hope to live in
1) Academic expectations - while I do know people who work 20-30 hours a week and make very good grades, they are the exception and not the rule, and they don't tend to do a lot outside of work, school, and study
2) Financial needs - depending on how expensive your school is and what kind of loans or financial aid you get, this may dictate whether or not you should get a job during school
3) Licensure requirements - many states (but certainly not all) require a certain number of intern hours be completed outside of your pharmacy school rotation hours. This may also dictate whether or not you should get a job.

If you don't have to get a job from a financial standpoint, I would wait until you get your first year of pharmacy school under your belt. It varies by program, but my first year was by far the hardest (27-28 exams EACH semester - it was literally like 2-3 a week most of the time). Once you know what you can handle and what kind of free time you will have, that will give you a better idea about what you need to look for in an intern job.

Also, when you do go to apply for a job, I would apply to as many chains and hospitals as you can. I sent my CV (resume) to all major chains and several independents and grocery store pharmacies and only heard back from one. I have heard that a lot of stores simply don't have the intern budgets they used to in addition to the fact that they aren't having to try to rope people in as interns due to the moderate saturation we have in pharmacy right now.

Just my $0.02 though. Good luck in school!

Do you know anyone who works as a tech instead of an intern while going to school? The reason I'm asking is because I'm currently getting decent pay and benefits as a tech and probably won't make financial sense for me to switch to being an intern. I'm trying to weigh my options, so any info would be appreciated.
 
there are some people out there that put me to shame, and that is one of them. I honestly never felt like I didn't have enough free time. I studied, hung with friends, got blasted on the weekends, and still found time for work. I guess when you are 18-25 you truly live by the mantra, sleep when you are dead.
I tell her she is crazy all the time. Idk how she does it.

On the other hand I'm 22 and if I'm not up studying I am usually in bed by 11 at the latest and wake up at 7. Lol I think I am the exception in my age group.
 
Do you know anyone who works as a tech instead of an intern while going to school? The reason I'm asking is because I'm currently getting decent pay and benefits as a tech and probably won't make financial sense for me to switch to being an intern. I'm trying to weigh my options, so any info would be appreciated.

If you're getting benefits now (and need them), then you may want to stick with being a tech. The pay as an intern is better than tech pay but you may not always get benefits - my company offered them, but I can't say that for all.

The other thing you need to look into is licensing requirements once you graduate in your desired state. The state in looking at requires x number of intern hours outside of school, so I have to have an intern license and log my work hours.

The other thing is - it may be possible to upgrade your tech position now into an intern position and keep the benefits, but that would be a conversation to have with your manager/DM.
 
If you're getting benefits now (and need them), then you may want to stick with being a tech. The pay as an intern is better than tech pay but you may not always get benefits - my company offered them, but I can't say that for all.

The other thing you need to look into is licensing requirements once you graduate in your desired state. The state in looking at requires x number of intern hours outside of school, so I have to have an intern license and log my work hours.

The other thing is - it may be possible to upgrade your tech position now into an intern position and keep the benefits, but that would be a conversation to have with your manager/DM.

I'm currently getting paid more than many interns in my state, and my company doesn't allow for interns. My only option is to find an intern position else where and take a pay cut - an option that I'm not too fond of.

I'll probably have to contact my state BOP to see if they'll allow tech hours to count towards inter hours since I don't have the option of being an intern at my current company. Thanks for your response, Bueller!
 
intern vs tech = doesn't really matter - you are getting experience, unless you are in one of those rare intern positions where they give you expanded responsibilities (basically only in a hospital - and a few select ones at that). Just do what makes financial sense
 
I tell her she is crazy all the time. Idk how she does it.

On the other hand I'm 22 and if I'm not up studying I am usually in bed by 11 at the latest and wake up at 7. Lol I think I am the exception in my age group.
yup you are - I never saw my mattress before 1 am - even with an 8 o'clock class
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lol - I am now - actually I got married at 24 - stupid mistake, now 10 years later- I am much younger than I was at 26 - I guess I lost 10 years of my life
I've been hearing that "stupid mistake" saying regarding marriage for quite sometime. Lol.
 
intern vs tech = doesn't really matter - you are getting experience, unless you are in one of those rare intern positions where they give you expanded responsibilities (basically only in a hospital - and a few select ones at that). Just do what makes financial sense

Thanks for the advice.
 
I am doing internship b4 the school starts. I will be in very saturated area where three pharm schools are close to each other. I am doing it to secure my position at least.
 
Hello~ Future Yaksanim 😉
I just applied to some intern positions.. hopefully I GET one!!!

I am doing internship b4 the school starts. I will be in very saturated area where three pharm schools are close to each other. I am doing it to secure my position at least.