What should i do from here...want to be a doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acelzy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 23 years old, american citizen but i have lived all my middle school/high school/university life in the middle east. So all my degrees are from there by accredited institutes. I got a double bachelor's degree in Finance and Economics with a GPA of 3.3 with no science background whatsoever. I couldn't enter the medical school in the area because the system that they use is highschool to Med school. My highschool GPA is horrendous at 2.1 and i didnt take the SAT/ACT.
My uGPA is not good enough for med school and i don't have any science background. So i need some advice on what to do.

I am currently working in a bank as a credit analyst trying to get money to pay for post bacc or any courses that i must take to get my dream job. I am working on to get some volunteer work/clinical experience to get me used to the work and to increase my chances of entering Med school.

I was thinking of taking the GRE to increase my chances to get into a good post bacc and even help in entering Med school

Any advice to help me out, sorry for the long read and Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get your bachelors in the US? Depending on where it's from it may or may not be accepted as meeting the med school Bachelors entry requirement. A 3.3 is too low for MD and on the edge for DO right now, but you might be able to get all A's in sciences and bump it up.

At the least to get started you need to take the med school required science and other courses. There are lots of ways you can do that.

-Get a second Bachelors (Biology, Psychology, or whatever). Depending on if your degree is accepted this may be required.
-Take the courses in a do-it-yourself fashion where ever (An option if you have an accepted bachelors and if you are going DO then you could potentially do them at a community college, but for MD stick with a university).
-Enroll in a post bac or masters program that offers premed prep and maybe a direct into med school (use caution in direct programs).

So do whatever you have to do to get into a university/college and work on those courses you need. The best way to see what is required for admission is to start online with local colleges or universities in your area. The GRE may not be needed at all and a waste of time and you don't necessarily have to do a formal postbac.