What should I do? I need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raisingthebar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of applying to Psy.D programs since I don't think any Ph.D program will take me. During my undergraduate yrs I was a research assistant for 3 different professors, volunteered quite a bit, and I graduated with a 3.8 gpa over all, with a psych gpa of 4.0. After earning my BA in Florida I decided to enter into a Masters program in Seattle (because my gre scores were horrid). A year into my program my mother was hospitalized in Florida and I left school in the middle of my summer qtr. I didn't complete the correct forms to withdraw even though at the time I thought I did. When I went back to school in the Fall I realized I had failed my 2 courses rather than "dropped" them (definitely my fault). As part of the program I could not wipe it off my record so instead I took the classes again and earned an A in each. Because of this my overall gpa is a 3.25 for this program.

A year after all this happened and as I was beginning work on my thesis my mother's health took another turn for the worse. At that point I decided to withdraw from school and move back home to be close to her. I'm back in Florida and have been out of school for a year. I have been waitressing for the fast money and volunteering to gain more clinical exp.

What I want to know is should I explain all of this in an addendum to my personal statement? I know the sudden slip in grades looks odd but I'm afraid to admit to schools that I was so stressed and irresponsible to figure out the right forms for a class withdrawal. That may blow my chance immediately and look like I'm giving a bunch of excuses. I'm also not sure how I explain the gap in work experience. I don't think telling them I have been waitressing for a year is a good idea. My chances of getting into a Ph.D program are gone and I'm starting to think that my chances of getting into a Psy.D are slim to none because of all this.

Members don't see this ad.

raisingthebar said:
I am in the process of applying to Psy.D programs since I don't think any Ph.D program will take me. During my undergraduate yrs I was a research assistant for 3 different professors, volunteered quite a bit, and I graduated with a 3.8 gpa over all, with a psych gpa of 4.0. After earning my BA in Florida I decided to enter into a Masters program in Seattle (because my gre scores were horrid). A year into my program my mother was hospitalized in Florida and I left school in the middle of my summer qtr. I didn't complete the correct forms to withdraw even though at the time I thought I did. When I went back to school in the Fall I realized I had failed my 2 courses rather than "dropped" them (definitely my fault). As part of the program I could not wipe it off my record so instead I took the classes again and earned an A in each. Because of this my overall gpa is a 3.25 for this program.

A year after all this happened and as I was beginning work on my thesis my mother's health took another turn for the worse. At that point I decided to withdraw from school and move back home to be close to her. I'm back in Florida and have been out of school for a year. I have been waitressing for the fast money and volunteering to gain more clinical exp.

What I want to know is should I explain all of this in an addendum to my personal statement? I know the sudden slip in grades looks odd but I'm afraid to admit to schools that I was so stressed and irresponsible to figure out the right forms for a class withdrawal. That may blow my chance immediately and look like I'm giving a bunch of excuses. I'm also not sure how I explain the gap in work experience. I don't think telling them I have been waitressing for a year is a good idea. My chances of getting into a Ph.D program are gone and I'm starting to think that my chances of getting into a Psy.D are slim to none because of all this.

I think writing an addendum is a really good idea based on your situation. I mean give yourself CREDIT here-your mother was sick and possibly near death, you were frantic, you said you THOUGHT you'd filled out the write papers but you didn't, its ok. I would explain it and let them evaluate you on the rest of your application. None of us are immune from crisises so it is my hope they would understand.

You dont have to tell them that you have been waitressing for a year, just give RELATIVE experience. Its not like you have a trend in low grades, there was a SUDDEN slip which I am sure is easily explained in an addendum. KEEP IT SHORT and sweet. The more you write the more they pick apart your reasoning.

if ANYONE is gonna understand your situation its a psychology program!

Thank you both, I'll definitely be adding the addendum :)