What should I Do? I need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Do you think I have a chance?

  • yes

  • no


Results are only viewable after voting.

HumanError

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Long story short: I dug myself into a hole when it comes to applying as a pre-med student and I just need some advice on what I should do now.

My story is pretty unconventional when it comes to pre-med or any career in health care.
I first started my health care career at the age of 17 when I attended a pre-pharmacy program. After two years of attending I decided I did not want to become a pharmacist because I initially had no interest in pharmacy since I was doing this more for my parents, money, and job stability rather than for genuine reasons.
After dropping out, I decided to go into Art for the following two years and I have grown and learned a lot about more about myself within those two years. These two years really made me grounded in the sense that I started viewing each individual with more awe and inspiration. Before, as a pre-pharmacy student, my ego was way over my head, I was young, selfish, stupid, and too immature for my own good. After dropping out, I became severely depressed and art was the stepping stone in changing how I viewed myself and others. Recently my interest in science reignited with a genuine interest and goal to help those in need and to truly give myself to others through healing them. I will always love art and it will always have a place in my life, but I want to be able to help people in a more direct way through medicine.

I am currently 22 years old and this change in career is making me very anxious and nervous and so I just want some advice.
GPA wise, my prerequisite classes are not the best, in fact they are actually pretty bad.
The science classes I took during pre-pharmacy are my general chemistry classes, general biology classes, physics 1, and microbiology.
After at community college, I took Anatomy and psychology which were the only other science classes I took there.

My main issue is with my general chemistry classes, long story short I really really messed those up.
I withdrew from Chem 1 and then got a C-
In chem 2 I got a D+ and retook it and got a D+ again. This is what I am very worried about. I know this red flag is going to be very detrimental and will stick with me forever. I have no excuse as to why I did so bad the second time around other than my lack of interest at the time and just plain stupidity.
My bio grades are a lot better than my chem classes since I always enjoyed biology more, however my gen bio 1 grade is still bad since I again, I did not take it seriously especially during my freshman year of college.
My gen bio 1 score is a C-
My gen bio 2 score is a B+
My microbiology score is a B
My Anatomy score is a A

Also For my Physics 1 score i got a B
And my Psychology score is a A
I also have not taken any science classes in two years, but I know if I review the material they will be easier to relearn.
Using these marks, I am wondering what you guys think my chances are and if I even have a slight bit of chance of going into medicine. I know that if I do decide to take this leap, I will have to Ace all of my future science classes and that is something I am willing to do. I know I will be a very late applicant and will not be an attending doctor until I am well into my late 30's but I just need some advice for now as to what I should do.
 
I personally believe anyone (and I mean anyone) can get into medical school given enough time and effort; square peg, round hole approach. Sounds like you're acknowledging the time it will take if your alright finishing in your late 30's. So, get to work.