What should I do if I don’t get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jack326

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I applied pretty late this cycle and only to two schools due to my late MCAT. I have a 3.3 cgpa/ 3.34. sgpa with a 518 mcat. If I don’t get in this year which I feel is pretty likely, what do you guys think I should focus on for next year? I recently started working in a research lab and will continue volunteering and shadowing. Is there anything else I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

Not really sure I’m following. If you already have a late MCAT and that’s your rationale for only applying to two schools, why not maximize your chances of getting in by applying to more schools?

Apply DO this year if you haven’t already

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys. I applied pretty late this cycle and only to two schools due to my late MCAT. I have a 3.3 cgpa/ 3.34. sgpa with a 518 mcat. If I don’t get in this year which I feel is pretty likely, what do you guys think I should focus on for next year? I recently started working in a research lab and will continue volunteering and shadowing. Is there anything else I should do?
Hopefully the volunteering includes both medical and off-campus nonmedical volunteering.
If you already have 50 hours of physician shadowing that includes primary care, you can stop and invest that time in more volunteering or taking on a leadership or advocacy role.

Members don't see this ad :)
Something doesn't make sense. Why only apply to two schools if you feel your application is weak? In the alternative, why apply at all if you think your application is weak? You should also focus on your GPA, if you're shooting for MD. It's on the low side, especially if you do not qualify for a preference like low SES or URM.

You've already been advised on what to do, but let's reiterate.

You raise your GPAs if you're gunning for MD. Otherwise, you're fine for DO. In fect you have plenty of time ot apply to more DO schools.

If you do not wish to be a DO, don't apply to them, and withdraw any DO apps that you have already sent in.

Research isn't going to help you. Your MCAT alone isn't going help you, unless you have a massive rising GPA trend.

Fill any holes in your app where ECs are concerned. Apply early next year, and to more schools.

Reactions: 3 users
Not really sure I’m following. If you already have a late MCAT and that’s your rationale for only applying to two schools, why not maximize your chances of getting in by applying to more schools?

[/QUOTE

You raise your GPAs if you're gunning for MD. Otherwise, you're fine for DO. In fect you have plenty of time ot apply to more DO schools.

If you do not wish to be a DO, don't apply to them, and withdraw any DO apps that you have already sent in.

Research isn't going to help you. Your MCAT alone isn't going help you, unless you have a massive rising GPA trend.

Fill any holes in your app where ECs are concerned. Apply early next year, and to more schools.

l I had already applied to these two schools before I took my mcat
Hopefully the volunteering includes both medical and off-campus nonmedical volunteering.
If you already have 50 hours of physician shadowing that includes primary care, you can stop and invest that time in more volunteering or taking on a leadership or advocacy role.
I do not have 50 hours of shadowing yet. I will try to get as close as I can to that number by next cycle. I have a lot of clinical and non clinical volunteering though. I think upwards of 600 hours total.

Something doesn't make sense. Why only apply to two schools if you feel your application is weak? In the alternative, why apply at all if you think your application is weak? You should also focus on your GPA, if you're shooting for MD. It's on the low side, especially if you do not qualify for a preference like low SES or URM.
I know I shouldn’t have applied at all this year. It was a mistake on my part. I applied in early august and it was too late to withdraw my application so I just went ahead with it. I’m going to take some upper level science classes this upcoming spring semester. The only good thing about my gpa is that I have an upward trend. 3.67 gpa over my last 60 credits.

Yeah that was before I retook my mcat. I thought maybe getting a 518 would increase my chances. I do have a 3.67 gpa over my last 60 credits. Will withdrawing my DO applications affect my chances if I end up applying to DO again next year? I’ve already applied to a few of them.

Last edited:

I know I shouldn’t have applied at all this year. It was a mistake on my part. I applied in early august and didn’t get my mcat score until late September. It was too late to withdraw my application so I just went ahead with it. I’m going to take some upper level science classes this upcoming spring semester. The only good thing about my gpa is that I have an upward trend. 3.67 gpa over my last 60 credits.

Yeah that was before I retook my mcat. I thought maybe getting a 518 would increase my chances. I do have a 3.67 gpa over my last 60 credits. Will withdrawing my DO applications affect my chances if I end up applying to DO again next year? I’ve already applied to a few of them.
Only at the schools you applied to

podiatry...though I don't think anyone has ever matriculated with anything higher than a 513, let alone a 518 lmao

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't want to be a DO now, why would you apply next year?

Due to COVID, you should get some slack for having less that average shadowing. At least you have some!

If you're OK with DO, add some more DO schools and see how the cycle turns out.

But I do NOT want to see you post next spring "Accepted to DO but want to try MD".

If you don't want to be a DO now, why would you apply next year?

Due to COVID, you should get some slack for having less that average shadowing. At least you have some!

If you're OK with DO, add some more DO schools and see how the cycle turns out.

But I do NOT want to see you post next spring "Accepted to DO but want to try MD".
I want to apply to both MD and DO next cycle because this cycle I feel is a wash. I applied very late and only to two schools. Everything was done very haphazardly. I just feel my application as a whole will be a lot more refined next year. I want to see what I can do if I apply with a better school list if that makes any sense

But you just said you applied to some DO schools and something about applying to all of the T10 DO schools. I’m super confused but with all of your hesitations ,ay e you should just withdraw from ALL schools you have applied to this cycle-MD and DO. And apply early next cycle. You’ll have less regrets in the long run.
How many times did you take the MCAT? What were your scores?

If you apply MD broadly next cycle with that GPA, you should still get interviews. But no guarantee on being accepted.

You will get accepted to DO schools this cycle if you apply now. Do you want to wait an extra two years before starting med school? That's two years of attending salary lost.

Reactions: 2 users
But you just said you applied to some DO schools and something about applying to all of the T10 DO schools. I’m super confused but with all of your hesitations ,ay e you should just withdraw from ALL schools you have applied to this cycle-MD and DO. And apply early next cycle. You’ll have less regrets in the long run.
How many times did you take the MCAT? What were your scores?
I applied to pcom, dmu, rowan, lecom, and ccom. I have only taken the mcat twice. My first one was on 6/27 and I got a 509. My second attempt was on 9/12 and I got a 518.

If you apply MD broadly next cycle with that GPA, you should still get interviews. But no guarantee on being accepted.

You will get accepted to DO schools this cycle if you apply now. Do you want to wait an extra two years before starting med school? That's two years of attending salary lost.
I want to give MD a shot at least. I know there is no guarantee of getting in. I worked very hard on my mcat retake in order to have a chance at MD schools. I will still be applying to DO school as well. I get your point about attending salary. Lol I’m honestly more confused on what I should do now than before I made this post.

Retaking the MCAT was a good move but the better move would have been to take more undergraduate coursework to boost your GPA. It is tough to move the needle as time goes on but having a 3.6-somthing in the last 60 credits and a sGPA of 3.34 tells me that you very likely had a 3.0 in the pre-req courses which is not reassuring.... If you are unsuccessful after 2 cycles you might consider a SMP if you want to bet 50K that you can outperform most M1 students and that you deserve a seat in the classroom.

I want to give MD a shot at least. I know there is no guarantee of getting in. I worked very hard on my mcat retake in order to have a chance at MD schools. I will still be applying to DO school as well. I get your point about attending salary. Lol I’m honestly more confused on what I should do now than before I made this post.

I would apply MD as well and wait a bit. Although the attending salary thing is a valid argument, your current views and interests also matter.

Also I advise against doing a SMP. Rather get your guaranteed DO seat than do a SMP gamble with your future.

Reactions: 1 users
I would apply MD as well and wait a bit. Although the attending salary thing is a valid argument, your current views and interests also matter.

Also I advise against doing a SMP. Rather get your guaranteed DO seat than do a SMP gamble with your future.

I concur. That's why I'd only recommend SMP after 2 unsuccessful cycles, ideally not consecutive cycles.

Reactions: 2 users
Retaking the MCAT was a good move but the better move would have been to take more undergraduate coursework to boost your GPA. It is tough to move the needle as time goes on but having a 3.6-somthing in the last 60 credits and a sGPA of 3.34 tells me that you very likely had a 3.0 in the pre-req courses which is not reassuring.... If you are unsuccessful after 2 cycles you might consider a SMP if you want to bet 50K that you can outperform most M1 students and that you deserve a seat in the classroom.
I will be taking some upper level science classes during the spring semester. My first two years in college I was a pre-engineering student and with very little ambition. I didn’t really care about my grades and it contributed to my low sGPA and cGPA. I’ve actually done quite well in my pre-req classes. I will keep the smp in mind if I don’t get into an MD or DO school.

thank you for your help. I will work on my app and apply early next year to both MD and DO.

I applied to pcom, dmu, rowan, lecom, and ccom. I have only taken the mcat twice. My first one was on 6/27 and I got a 509. My second attempt was on 9/12 and I got a 518.
So what if you are accepted to a DO school this cycle? If you are going to apply to MD next cycle, withdraw from the DO schools and save yourself the time and effort.

Reactions: 3 users