what should I do in a year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Momo156

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I decided that since my gpa is rather low (and for a few other reasons) that I would wait until my senior year to apply to Med school. But this leaves me with a nearly a year of time between when I would apply and when I would hopefully go. There would still be secondary applications to fill out and the like but for the most part I would have a lot of free time.

My financial aid runs out this Fall and I'll probably have to get a loan. Therefore, I was thinking that I could get a job during this period to pay off that debt. But I would really like it if I could get a job that is related somehow to medicine (i.e. one that would make me a more appealing applicant) and would also pay off the debt I'm going to incur. But what could I do with only a degree in Biological Sciences? I'm a good artist (oil paintings, watercolors, pen and lead) and I'd thought that a job as a medical illustrator would be cool but it seems that most places want a two year program in addition to the degree.) What could I do with just the degree in Biological Sciences (that I wouldn't have to do any extra programs for) and that I would do for about 11 months?

Members don't see this ad.

Some research jobs pay, and that would help you get into med school. My school had a paid peer mentor job for intro bio classes I did my 4th year of undergrad. I would also shadow, stuff like that no matter what you end up doing. Sorry can't be more help undergrad seems like a lost past to me.

I waited tables for a month and decided that sucked, so I just moved back to my parents for the entire year. Stayed at home like a bum and read books, played xbox, and watched a lot of netflix. Don't do what I did.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try working as a medical scribe. That's what I'm doing next year, and it's a great way to have clinical experience, shadowing, and $$$$ all in one job! I'm making $15/hr, which I think is more than enough for what I will get out of it.

If you have minimal research experience, you could try to find a job as a lab tech?

most research positions require 2+ year commitment but it doesn't hurt to start looking... or consider americorps?

I waited tables for a month and decided that sucked, so I just moved back to my parents for the entire year. Stayed at home like a bum and read books, played xbox, and watched a lot of netflix. Don't do what I did.

Out of curiosity, what did you tell schools when they asked you what you were doing with your spare time?

Try working as a medical scribe. That's what I'm doing next year, and it's a great way to have clinical experience, shadowing, and $$$$ all in one job! I'm making $15/hr, which I think is more than enough for what I will get out of it.

If you have minimal research experience, you could try to find a job as a lab tech?

How do you become a medical scribe?

I know you would like a medical job. However, I would like to make it clear that you don't actually need a medical job, or a research job, or anything remotely resembling something medical.

Find a job, do some relaxing, and maybe keep up on some clinical volunteering or shadowing and/or non-medical volunteering. The big point is to make sure you are doing SOMETHING because many secondaries will require you to say, and you will be asked at interviews. A minimum wage job at McDonald's is better than no job, so do what you need to do to make some money and fill up your time. You might end up learning a lot from these types of jobs too. Funny, unique job stories are always a nice touch.

I also hope you are going to sell your artistic skills in your med school app. That is very cool, and adcoms love things that are different than a typical applicant. You may spend a lot of your interview talking about non-medical things. Something with art would also be a good place to look for non-medical volunteer experiences if you don't have any.

Find a job that won't stress you out too much. Definitely pay off some of your loans

Last edited:
Barcu is right-Do realize that doing something unique and passionate will impress the adcoms versus just doing some healthcare "crap" just for the heck of it. They want to see commitment/dedication above all. Obviously, if you haven't gotten a fair amount of shadowing/clinical experiences, well it goes without saying to beef those up. But honestly, those commitments are once a week-it's NOT HARD to maintain upkeep on those activities. In the meantime, have an interesting job or experience to share. At the very least, you won't be the loser who has nothing to share during interviews other than the fact that he has this 3.95 GPA and 41 MCAT haha. And, having a job definitely helps foot the bill for applying to medical school. All of my earnings ended up going towards my app haha. Guess it would considering I applied to 30 schools...-_-

Not to mention, you can't put a price on youth. Enjoy your life without having any restrictions. Once you're in medical school, the clock is ticking, and interest is accruing. If you feel like you cannot enjoy yourself right now with your spare time, that raises a much larger red flag above everything else.

Just enjoy yourself. Do what you want to do. Just before you do any of that, make sure your ducks are in line: MCATs, LoRs, Shadowing, and Volunteering. Otherwise, have some fun.