What should i do in my gap year?? Classes or nah???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkeys4Lyfe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently graduated and am applying now. I have a good research job that will serve me well in applying. In my opinion, it is the best type of research job I could have before going into medicine. I will be able to put in around 25-35 hours per week here, and possibly get a few publications.I also plan on shadowing and volunteering in my gap year.

**I am really wondering if I should take classes?????? I really don't want to because I hated college. That being said I do not have the best gpa from my first semesters but finished very strong. My mcat is decent and I have been told I am competitive for my state schools. Any classes I take now are not going to save my gpa and would only be marginally related to the stuff I learn in medical school. Thus I am not sure if it would even be worthwhile or if I should work on boosting extracurriculars and practical knowledge/work experience.

Should I take classes? If so, would they have to be science or could I take a unique, non-science class I never could have taken before such as programming? (Really any class can be applied to the life of a physician, including programming).

Thanks in advance. I am off to a late start with class deadlines quickly approaching!! But I do have instructor permission and have not missed many lectures. If I do not take classes this semester, I could always do so next semester. I would also potentially be able to go to volunteer in a third world country, which I would much rather do for myself. At the very least, I would probably take programming. To be frank, I am not completely sold on medicine and keep hearing from doctors that it is a terrible field. So if I didn't go into medicine, I would probably work in business or comp. science. It is unlikely I would stay with science and research for my entire life. I think I will love being a physician but am not sure if the lifestyle and governing business side it comes with is worth it.

Thank you. Let me know if you have questions.

Members don't see this ad.

I recently graduated and am applying now. I have a good research job that will serve me well in applying. In my opinion, it is the best type of research job I could have before going into medicine. I will be able to put in around 25-35 hours per week here, and possibly get a few publications.I also plan on shadowing and volunteering in my gap year.

**I am really wondering if I should take classes?????? I really don't want to because I hated college. That being said I do not have the best gpa from my first semesters but finished very strong. My mcat is decent and I have been told I am competitive for my state schools. Any classes I take now are not going to save my gpa and would only be marginally related to the stuff I learn in medical school. Thus I am not sure if it would even be worthwhile or if I should work on boosting extracurriculars and practical knowledge/work experience.

Should I take classes? If so, would they have to be science or could I take a unique, non-science class I never could have taken before such as programming? (Really any class can be applied to the life of a physician, including programming).

Thanks in advance. I am off to a late start with class deadlines quickly approaching!! But I do have instructor permission and have not missed many lectures. If I do not take classes this semester, I could always do so next semester. I would also potentially be able to go to volunteer in a third world country, which I would much rather do for myself. At the very least, I would probably take programming. To be frank, I am not completely sold on medicine and keep hearing from doctors that it is a terrible field. So if I didn't go into medicine, I would probably work in business or comp. science. It is unlikely I would stay with science and research for my entire life. I think I will love being a physician but am not sure if the lifestyle and governing business side it comes with is worth it.

Thank you. Let me know if you have questions.

Well if you're applying this year then taking a couple classes to try to boost your GPA doesn't make much sense. You'd be slightly increasing your chances as a reapplicant, but would you even want to reapply if you don't get in? If you're not sold on medicine even though you're currently applying, either shadow more and get sold fast or use your gap year to explore other career options.

edit: Also to get advice on whether further classes would be useful for next year's application, which I'm not even sure is what you were trying to ask, obviously we'd need to know your GPA

Well if you're applying this year then taking a couple classes to try to boost your GPA doesn't make much sense. You'd be slightly increasing your chances as a reapplicant, but would you even want to reapply if you don't get in? If you're not sold on medicine even though you're currently applying, either shadow more and get sold fast or use your gap year to explore other career options.

edit: Also to get advice on whether further classes would be useful for next year's application, which I'm not even sure is what you were trying to ask, obviously we'd need to know your GPA
I want to be a physician. I just keep hearing how healthcare is becoming worse and worse. So i am having second thoughts. I know I will love the science and what I would do but would potentially hate the lifestyle because of all the policies and insurance issues. If I don't get in, i might just reapply to two schools in my state since it wouldnt' break the bank but would still leave the option on the table. This next year, I will continue to boost my application regardless in terms of shadowing, researching, and volunteering. Each of these will only help but does not tie me down for an entire semester. I don't want to take a science class, even though I know some AdComs would recommend it, because I've already done all the crucial classes for preparing for med school. The class (biology) would only help if I switch to a masters in bio/ science. Doing a class that is non-science but can still relate to medicine and allow me to explore other options sounds better. However, I am not sure how med schools would view this if I reapply....?

My gpa cumulative is like 3.55 and science is a little below. But I aced all my upper levels and have a near 4.0 in all classes my last few years, while taking more than I was required to.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you just graduated and don't think you'll take enough classes to boost your GPA I would pass. How decent is you MCAT? I would look for more clinical experience to really see if you want to become a physician. For me that was scribing but there could be other opportunities.

Out of curiosity, how'd you get your research stint? Looking to get involved in clinical research (as a paid job though).

If you just graduated and don't think you'll take enough classes to boost your GPA I would pass. How decent is you MCAT? I would look for more clinical experience to really see if you want to become a physician. For me that was scribing but there could be other opportunities.

Out of curiosity, how'd you get your research stint? Looking to get involved in clinical research (as a paid job though).
Id have to take many full semesters worth of classes to increase in significantly. I think an A in one 3 cr hr course would maybe change it by .05-.1 if I had to guess. My mcat was about 30 equivalent on the new mcat. I think clinical experience would be better as well and more realistic. One adcom told me to take a science class but it seems like such a waste. I guess I could in spring. This semester I will probably only take computer science. Does that sound fine? I know its my decision but I just don't see how classes would be helpful to my personal growth. It would only benefit my transcript mainlyy.

Found the job through lots of researching and reading online. Took a while though!

Don't.

Do everything you couldn't do while you were in school.

GPA won't change that much if you take courses. You'd be putting money where its least effective.

Work. Save up. Splurge on a new car. Take a weekend trip somewhere so you have something to talk about.

Do something dangerous and exciting with said money so if you get injured you get Shadowing experience when you see the doctor^

Reactions: 1 user
Don't.

Do everything you couldn't do while you were in school.

GPA won't change that much if you take courses. You'd be putting money where its least effective.

Work. Save up. Splurge on a new car. Take a weekend trip somewhere so you have something to talk about.

I completely agree. But what is your reasoning for this? I hope adcom's have the same opinion.

I'm in grad school right now if that helps the perspective. The older you get, the more you realize how valuable your time is NOT spent working and schooling.

You working 1 year in the real world, with a real job, paying real bills and saving up to travel like an adult.......versus an undergrad.

The maturity levels are (from anecdotal standpoint) pretty significant.

While undergrads may have high grades and enthusiasm on their side, non-trads have real world experience and maturity.

There are always exceptions to this, but my reasoning is that you will gain more experience and maturity from working and enjoying life than sitting in a classroom that will potentially raise your GPA by only a little.

Change in demeanor and maturity versus a .01 -> .05 GPA increase are much more noticeable to adcoms I'd imagine.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in grad school right now if that helps the perspective. The older you get, the more you realize how valuable your time is NOT spent working and schooling.

You working 1 year in the real world, with a real job, paying real bills and saving up to travel like an adult.......versus an undergrad.

The maturity levels are (from anecdotal standpoint) pretty significant.

While undergrads may have high grades and enthusiasm on their side, non-trads have real world experience and maturity.

There are always exceptions to this, but my reasoning is that you will gain more experience and maturity from working and enjoying life than sitting in a classroom that will potentially raise your GPA by only a little.

Change in demeanor and maturity versus a .01 -> .05 GPA increase are much more noticeable to adcoms I'd imagine.

Thats what I would think and hope. I just hope it doesn't count against me if I have to reapply or if it comes up in an interview.

Thats what I would think and hope. I just hope it doesn't count against me if I have to reapply or if it comes up in an interview.

All good.

The doubt will always be there. I can't imagine them Crucifying you for taking a gap year that didn't involve taking classes, even if you were a reapplicant.

If your MCAT is 506+ you should be pretty good for DO programs.