What should I do now if I want to make money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So let's recap. OP has crap grades, no particular motivation or interests, is apparently obsessed with money and has no other redeeming qualities that we're aware of. Best bet is probably picking people up for Enterprise Rent-A-Car or selling life insurance policies at Northwestern Mutual. May not be stacking up the cash but them's the breaks of being a loser.

Members don't see this ad.

Not really, the pay does go lower, There are way more people copmpeteing for way, way fewer jobs. Whitness all of the IBM greybeards who've been replaced by people making half their salary. And the IT industry has no willingness to advocate for itself.. Instead of "starting" at 70K you will be looking at topping out at 70K. which is barely a livable wage at this point.
The thing about the IT industry which I tremendously dislike is that they favor youth. So the greybeards and old Fortran programmers aren't worth much to the powers that be. The pay goes lower if you've been working for a while and dont do anything to increase your skillset. If you are fresh out of college you get the same wages as someone else who is hired for the position. Fair enough. I agree with you on longevity and I am not naive to believe that age discrimination does not exist in the industry. But he doesn't have to go into IT if he becomes a computer engineer. And he doesn't even have to go into computers, the top paid bachelors is with petroleum (chemical) engineering.

Anyways, our disagreement comes down to salary. If OP wants money quickly, he can get it this way. Will he be "set for life?" Who knows? There are no guarantees but right now, at this moment, it's a good place for him to go with what he has to work with, and from there he can move onto something better (MBA, etc) if he excels or stagnates if he so desires. Who knows, he might *like* that type of work and do so well that he excels beyond what his potential appears to be.

Not really, the pay does go lower, There are way more people copmpeteing for way, way fewer jobs. Whitness all of the IBM greybeards who've been replaced by people making half their salary. And the IT industry has no willingness to advocate for itself.. Instead of "starting" at 70K you will be looking at topping out at 70K. which is barely a livable wage at this point.

"70k is barely a livable wage at this point"

Have you graduated yet? Or held a job?

These are the exact comments that make me dislike SDN. There's this attitude of "I've got a 3.95 GPA, 36 MCAT, an ran some campus clubs ... Now I'm entitled to 100k+ job". Lots of people with more formal education than a typical pre-med make ~70k.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive graduated and held a job. 70K is nothing to support a family on in a major metro area. I make considerably less than 70k for reference and have been at my job for 3+ years. It isn't 1999 anymore and 70k will not allow a family to "breathe easy." That salary will in general not allow for alot of savings.

Granted 70k is more than ALOT of people make, but its only because of the terrible predicament the american middle class is in.

When I was growing up in the 90s, 70k was good. Food costs twice what it did then. there are all kinds of other expenses that didn't exist yet. Cell phones and internet are a necessity. More expensive, and considerably worse insurance, etc.

Last edited:
I live near boston for reference, so my perspective may be a bit warped. But Silicon Valley is not exactly going to be cheap either.

70K is nothing to support a family on in a major metro area.

I agree that 70k is tough if you're living in one of the expensive metros, like the Northeast (in general) and California (in general).

I live near boston for reference, so my perspective may be a bit warped. But Silicon Valley is not exactly going to be cheap either.
In fairness, Silicon Valley is similar to Wall Street in that they only want the "stars" but will pay you well to live out there which is one of the reasons why that article mentions the high salaries coupled with the location.

I think I get what you are saying, that one of the problems with the computer/IT industry is the low ceiling. Sure you may start out pretty high, but it is easier to hit the ceiling than in other fields. Take "business," the starting salary is roughly $50k but you can go really far, especially if you have executive talent or are a good salesman. It seems easier to progress in those industries. And lets say your current business is automobiles which seems to be drying up, you could easily hop to another industry such as motorbikes or paper products much easier than engineering where you are specialized from the beginning.

This is BS though. That entire industry is a bubble and the software engineering/IT community has no spine or willingness to advocate for itself. That bubble is already deflating and wages in that sector will be in freefall soon. By the time you were done with that education the gravy train will have left the station.
Many people would argue the same of medicine, what with the ACA and increasing competition from midlevels.

You don't have the grades or the academic pedigree for investment banking, law, medicine.

There are no legal shortcuts to getting rich. Want a realistic chance of making good money? Go to the oilfields. Look into entry MWD/LWD jobs with big oilfield service companies like Baker Hughes or Halliburton. Work hard and take every opportunity to learn new skills and tools. After 5 years, transfer to an independent MWD company or find a company willing to train you as a directional driller. Independent MWDs can make $150k/yr, DDs can make $200-300k/yr. The hours and lifestyle are complete garbage, but if all you're looking for is money...
This is what I was going to suggest. Get into a petro engineering program or similar and work for a fracking company. You'll make well over 100k out of school. If you're good at it and start your own exploration company, 7 figure incomes are possible. The sky is the limit in petro, and you'll always be able to find a good paying job, in this country or another.

Also, chances are, if you go to medical school in the Caribbean, you will end up in IM or FP. It is possible that you will not, but that is where the majority of grads end up. Given that you have not been exceptional thusfar in your life, and that I expect this trend to continue, let me refer you to this article:

http://www.er-doctor.com/doctor_income.html

doctor_salary.gif

Keep in mind this article is somewhat old and assumes you will have about 200k less debt than you will graduate with these days, while income is still sitting between 160-210k for IM/FP, depending on where you practice.

Many people would argue the same of medicine, what with the ACA and increasing competition from midlevels.
Yes basically anyone who does actual work for a living is in a bad predicament right now. I would say medicine is a better position to be in than most, since at least there are a limited number of residencies (for now) and only so many people can become doctors (for now...) No industry is safe from capital aggregating all work into low paid meaningless BS. The only way to stop it is to build stronger unions but LOL if you think gen Y is up to that challenge.

Also the mad dash to make everyone more "technologically proficient" by changing school curriculums in every corner of the world will only drive down engineering wages further.

Last edited:
This is what I was going to suggest. Get into a petro engineering program or similar and work for a fracking company. You'll make well over 100k out of school. If you're good at it and start your own exploration company, 7 figure incomes are possible. The sky is the limit in petro, and you'll always be able to find a good paying job, in this country or another.

Also, chances are, if you go to medical school in the Caribbean, you will end up in IM or FP. It is possible that you will not, but that is where the majority of grads end up. Given that you have not been exceptional thusfar in your life, and that I expect this trend to continue, let me refer you to this article:

Keep in mind this article is somewhat old and assumes you will have about 200k less debt than you will graduate with these days, while income is still sitting between 160-210k for IM/FP, depending on where you practice.
This is such a silly argument. O&G is extremely profitable yes, RIGHT NOW. Part of the reason is the large number of retiring professionals with few new guys to replace them. But why aren't there enough middle-aged workers? Well, do you remember what happened in the 80s? Terrible decade for the industry and for my city which depended upon it (Houston, TX). The poor conditions/outlook drove huge numbers of young people away. The industry is inherently much more volatile than medicine, and heavily dependent on external factors and global conditions. This instability must be considered, particularly when you post silly lifetimes earnings charts that obviously cannot be projected into the future on the basis of current income. Yes O&G is a great field to go into RIGHT NOW. But we'll see if this is still the case in a couple of decades.

How quickly we forget history...

Reactions: 2 users
This is such a silly argument. O&G is extremely profitable yes, RIGHT NOW. Part of the reason is the large number of retiring professionals with few new guys to replace them. But why aren't there enough middle-aged workers? Well, do you remember what happened in the 80s? Terrible decade for the industry and for my city which depended upon it (Houston, TX). The poor conditions/outlook drove huge numbers of young people away. The industry is inherently much more volatile than medicine, and heavily dependent on external factors and global conditions. This instability must be considered, particularly when you post silly lifetimes earnings charts that obviously cannot be projected into the future on the basis of current income. Yes O&G is a great field to go into RIGHT NOW. But we'll see if this is still the case in a couple of decades.

This applies a thousandfold to IT related jobs.

doctor_salary.gif

This article always gets brought up on this site. Basically:

1) UPS pays their drivers so much because they treat driving a truck as a the apex of a blue collar UPS career (since you are the face of the company). If you work in the warehouse for 10-15 years and are a model employee for that entire time you get the keys. That's why they pay 60K for a driver. They are not *****s, they are not the only company in existence paying 5x the going rate for a high school graduate.

2) In non-physician professions you aren't allowed to work 'physician like hours' for an infinite amount of overtime pay because you feel like it. Most employers are very stingy with overtime and allow it only in case of emergencies. Maybe UPS drives get to work an extra 10-20 hours a week during the December Christmas package rush

3) His definition of 'physician hours' is asinine, basically assuming that the number of hours you work on your worst months of Intern year (80/week) is the number you work for the rest of your career. Hospitalists generally make 200-250K for 36 hours/week of work. Hospitalists who work 6 12 hour shifts a week are paid twice that.

4) Even with all of those misunderstandings he can't figure out a way for the UPS drive to make more than half of what the physician does over a working lifetime.

Last edited:

The outlooks is better for petro overall than it was in the 80s because of global diversification in net energy consumers though. China, Brazil, and India need oil and natural gas to continue their growth. It is very unlikely that a crash back to $40 a barrel will ever happen again. It may not be a perfectly stable situation till the end of time, but -no- job is these days.

And that chart was a chart of a UPS driver versus a physician, not a petro worker. It isn't meant to say "you should definitely be a UPS driver," but rather, to say, if you were to put in hours at a job that pays you hourly and nets 60k a year for full time, this is what the numbers look like. Be a nurse at a facility like mine that allows you to clock decent overtime, and the numbers will come out the same. Or be a pipefitter or an independent plumber, it doesn't matter.

And this is all neglecting the fact that if he goes to the Carib, he might never even match at all, giving him a useless degree and 300k+ in debt. Talk about risk...

Members don't see this ad :)

1) UPS pays their drivers so much because they treat driving a truck as a the apex of a blue collar UPS career (since you are the face of the company). If you work in the warehouse for 10-15 years and are a model employee for that entire time you get the keys. That's why they pay 60K for a driver. They are not *****s, they are not the only company in existence paying 5x the going rate for a high school graduate.

2) In non-physician professions you aren't allowed to work 'physician like hours' for an infinite amount of overtime pay because you feel like it. Most employers are very stingy with overtime and allow it only in case of emergencies. Maybe UPS drives get to work an extra 10-20 hours a week during the December Christmas package rush

3) His definition of 'physician hours' is asinine, basically assuming that the number of hours you work on your worst months of Intern year (80/week) is the number you work for the rest of your career. Hospitalists generally make 200-250K for 36 hours/week of work. Hospitalists who work 6 12 hour shifts a week are paid twice that.

4) Even with all of those misunderstandings he can't figure out a way for the UPS drive to make more than half of what the physician does over a working lifetime.
His chart assumes working 80/week at two separate jobs for the first 8 years, then 60 hours per week, making 60k at the first job and an additional 30k at the second job for the time after that. Many physicians do actually work 60 hours a week. Many also work less, but if you look at most surveys of physician hours per week, it is generally around 52, with no specialty working less than an average of 44 hours. Is the example of the UPS driver perfect? Obviously not. But it clearly shows that there is a good deal of opportunity cost to becoming a physician, and that it will take you nearly 17 years to catch up to someone who makes a decent wage out of high school, and several more years to catch up to them if they work more than 40 hours a week. You'll outearn others over a lifetime, but if you're starting med school at 30, you won't be seeing returns until a long ways down the road.

Don't become a doctor for the money.

A more thorough economic argument for you is here:

http://benbrownmd.wordpress.com/

Reactions: 1 user

Do the hospitalists have to be in a specific specialty? Or will the family docs hospitalists make the 200-250k?

As others have said, GET AN ENGINEERING DEGREE. I have friends who are graduating engineers and starting at a six-figure salary.

Reactions: 1 users
Dude just go back to school and be a dentist,it would be your best option from the ones you've presented us with. You've got some serious work to do on your GPA though...it seems like too much trouble to go through in my opinion though if you haven't any real passion for it...idk none of these careers look like they are going to happen for you and I certainly think you don't belong in healthcare if its strictly a monetary interest

If you have a science degree, you could become a patent agent and sit for the patent bar. Interestingly, you don't need to attend law school to sit for the patent bar in the U.S.

As others have said, GET AN ENGINEERING DEGREE. I have friends who are graduating engineers and starting at a six-figure salary.

Agree^^^. My husband is now 6 years out of his engineering degree (with a sub 3.0 GPA.....there's a lot of the "C's get degrees" mantra with engineers!), and has cleared over $100k since his 3rd year. Years 1 & 2 were somewhere around $75k and ~$85k. For him, it's a LOT of hours in the summer (he's in construction engineering-airport runways/roads/etc), and minimal in the winter, so it all equals out. 6 weeks per year vacation (to start out, he's up to 8 now), great pay, and great hours (with the exception of about 3 months in the summer). Not a bad deal, if you ask me.

That being said, he's not crazy about what he's doing, so he'll become Mr. Mom when I start medical school. SO-find something you LOVE (or even like a lot) doing, and you'll be much happier.

PS-if there's any way that you'd love Petroleum Engineering, do that. My husband has kicked himself in the butt that he went civil instead of petroleum since graduation. Much more lucrative.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree^^^. My husband is now 6 years out of his engineering degree (with a sub 3.0 GPA.....there's a lot of the "C's get degrees" mantra with engineers!), and has cleared over $100k since his 3rd year. Years 1 & 2 were somewhere around $75k and ~$85k. For him, it's a LOT of hours in the summer (he's in construction engineering-airport runways/roads/etc), and minimal in the winter, so it all equals out. 6 weeks per year vacation (to start out, he's up to 8 now), great pay, and great hours (with the exception of about 3 months in the summer). Not a bad deal, if you ask me.

That being said, he's not crazy about what he's doing, so he'll become Mr. Mom when I start medical school. SO-find something you LOVE (or even like a lot) doing, and you'll be much happier.

PS-if there's any way that you'd love Petroleum Engineering, do that. My husband has kicked himself in the butt that he went civil instead of petroleum since graduation. Much more lucrative.

Yeah, one of my friends was an ME in college and is now working on oil rigs making $110K, two weeks on/two weeks off. Another of my friends had a 2.8 and landed a job at Delta for $80K. It's ridiculous.