what should I do to get accepted with sub 3.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dragonjinse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in 2014 with 2.8 cGPA and around 2.5 sGPA. 50s hours with volunteering in ER, working as a patient care technician right now. Haven't taken MCAT yet.

I know it's slim chance for me to get accepted to DO school. But I want to know if there are anyway/anyhow for me to become a success applicant for DO school?

or I should consider something else?

Thank you guys. I LOVE LOVE LOVE being a doctor. It's not that just I want to help people. But being a doctor is my dream since I was young. It's my dream that I want to see my parents proud since they're tired for their entire life to support me. It's my dream to use every pieces of my knowledge to save lives. It's my dream that I don't want to work under anybody because it limits my abilities to do things.

Thank you guys

Members don't see this ad.

overcompensate on everything else that you CAN control. Then apply. And there is nothing wrong with wanting to please parents. Though native born folks look down on such reasons for wanting something since they are raised to think ME ME ME ME ME ME.

I for one hate DO SMPs. So I suggest you try to get your GPA up to 3.0 at the very least and get a good MCAT score. Once you have those two then apply. If it doesn't work out, then go for an SMP. Then try again.

Be patient because this is something that can't be solved overnight, it takes time and persistence. I know people work hard on here, but not a lot are willing to delay gratification to meet their goals. If you can take the time to do things right, good things will happen. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's going to be tough, but give it your best shot. At the worst you get your GPA up to a 3.0-3.1 and become a podiatrist. That's not a bad living or life style!

You have no experience being a doctor so you can't possibly know what the life of one entails. Can't love what you don't know. Start with a DIY post-bac and take upper-level science classes and continue til your GPAs are at 3.3. Do well on the Mcat and apply.

Reactions: 7 users
Enclose a six figure donation check with your app.

Seriously, med school will kill you. You wanna be a doctor? Prove to us that you can handle it. So far, you haven't.

I graduated in 2014 with 2.8 cGPA and around 2.5 sGPA. 50s hours with volunteering in ER, working as a patient care technician right now. Haven't taken MCAT yet.

I know it's slim chance for me to get accepted to DO school. But I want to know if there are anyway/anyhow for me to become a success applicant for DO school?

Thank you guys. I LOVE LOVE LOVE being a doctor. It's not that just I want to help people. But being a doctor is my dream since I was young. It's my dream that I want to see my parents proud since they're tired for their entire life to support me. It's my dream to use every pieces of my knowledge to save lives. It's my dream that I don't want to work under anybody because it limits my abilities to do things.

Thank you guys

Reactions: 6 users
Enclose a six figure donation check with your app.

Seriously, med school will kill you. You wanna be a doctor? Prove to us that you can handle it. So far, you haven't.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but my situation is similar to OP's. My cGPA (without grade-replacements) is 2.7. sGPA is close to that. I graduated from Arizona State with a B.S. in Biology with a GPA of 2.6 (3.0 with grade replacement). I also have a Masters in Biomedical Sciences from Barry Unversity with a 3.4 GPA. I'm currently in an SMP at KCUMB. My last semester GPA was 3.7. My MCAT history is as follows:

First attempt (taken in 2013): 23
Second attempt (taken in 2013): 30
Third attempt (taken in 2017): 498 (planning on retaking)

So what do my stats tell you about my ability to handle med school? What more would I have to do to convince you if you were an adcom?

I can't sugar coat this:

Weak performance in one grad program
3x MCAT taker and 2/3 of these were disasters.

The SMP at KCU might be your saving grace, especially if you ace this semester, but not for my program.

EDIT. This is also isn't about you especially, but that my school gets a lot more competitive applicants.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but my situation is similar to OP's. My cGPA (without grade-replacements) is 2.7. sGPA is close to that. I graduated from Arizona State with a B.S. in Biology with a GPA of 2.6 (3.0 with grade replacement). I also have a Masters in Biomedical Sciences from Barry Unversity with a 3.4 GPA. I'm currently in an SMP at KCUMB. My last semester GPA was 3.7. My MCAT history is as follows:

First attempt (taken in 2013): 23
Second attempt (taken in 2013): 30
Third attempt (taken in 2017): 498 (planning on retaking)

So what do my stats tell you about my ability to handle med school? What more would I have to do to convince you if you were an adcom?

Reactions: 1 user
I can't sugar coat this:

The SMP at KCU might be your saving grace, especially if you ace this semester, but not for my program.

EDIT. This is also isn't about you especially, but that my school gets a lot more competitive applicants.
What's your program?

It's my dream that I don't want to work under anybody because it limits my abilities to do things.
Just FYI, you will always work under someone in medicine.

Reactions: 2 users

Thank you guys
Your motivations are a recipe for burnout. Get a 3.0 and ace the MCAT, then apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro If I retook the MCAT and got a 505 and finished my SMP with a 3.7, would my chances be good (either at your program or any DO program)? I'm sure you know that it is mathematically impossible for OP and I to raise our cGPAs by anymore than 0.01, and that's if we live to 1000 and take and ace classes for the rest of our lives. So I think what OP (and I) are getting at is what more can we do to improve our chances of getting in? Or is our window of opportunity really closed now that grade-replacement for DO is over? Also, does my 2013 MCAT score of 30 really not carry any weight whatsoever in the eyes of an adcom?

Raising your GPA is no longer the issue, now it's showing current, consistent academic excellence. You need to show that the you of now is not the you of then.

Do well on your retake and continue to do well at KCU, and a decent number of DO schools will show you some love. But apply broadly, and especially target the newest schools.

BTW, both PCOM and A ZCOM are still continuing to honor GPA replacement.

@Goro If I retook the MCAT and got a 505 and finished my SMP with a 3.7, would my chances be good (either at your program or any DO program)? I'm sure you know that it is mathematically impossible for OP and I to raise our cGPAs by anymore than 0.01, and that's if we live to 1000 and take and ace classes for the rest of our lives. So I think what OP (and I) are getting at is what more can we do to improve our chances of getting in? Or is our window of opportunity really closed now that grade-replacement for DO is over? Also, does my 2013 MCAT score of 30 really not carry any weight whatsoever in the eyes of an adcom?

The customers in that case are the boss.
Eh, I'd disagree. It's a bargain between two equals consenting to an exchange of cash for services like any other business. When I used to repair computers and set up networks for a living, my customers weren't my bosses- if they were a pain in the ass I could fire them, essentially, by ending the exchange.

I can't sugar coat this:

@Goro. Here's what KCU's website says in their "FAQs" section regarding multiple MCAT scores:

"If I retake the MCAT, what score does KCU look at?
We look at the highest eligible score. We do not “super score”. Your highest MCAT may not be the most recent."

Does that mean that they will consider my 30, or would the 30 not be considered an "eligible" score based on their definition of "eligible"?

Scores expire, depending upon the school.

@Goro. Here's what KCU's website says in their "FAQs" section regarding multiple MCAT scores:

We look at the highest eligible score. We do not “super score”. Your highest MCAT may not be the most recent."

Does that mean that they will consider my 30, or would the 30 not be considered an "eligible" score based on their definition of "eligible"?

I think most schools only consider MCAT scores that are less than 3 years old. My guess is "eligible" means less than 3 years old.

Is anyone gonna point out his less than ideal motivations for medicine orrrrr

I for one hate DO SMPs. So I suggest you try to get your GPA up to 3.0 at the very least and get a good MCAT score. Once you have those two then apply. If it doesn't work out, then go for an SMP. Then try again.

Be patient because this is something that can't be solved overnight, it takes time and persistence. I know people work hard on here, but not a lot are willing to delay gratification to meet their goals. If you can take the time to do things right, good things will happen. Good luck.

Why do you hate DO SMPs? Are they not a good option? Seem less risky than MD SMPs.

Why do you hate DO SMPs? Are they not a good option? Seem less risky than MD SMPs.

It stems from my school's SMP who made promises it could not keep. In the end, DO SMPs and MD SMPs have the same risk. However, the MD SMP are usually more established than DO SMP. Plus, some of which have good linkage programs to their schools. As for the DO SMPs, I don't like how a some of them have class sizes of 30-50 people (maybe more). I don't believe for a second if they all did will this would mean an auto-accept into the schools DO program. I feel like they are more money grabs than anything else.

My main point being, why not go to a MD SMP and have a shot of getting into that SMP's school or other MD that know the SMP. Versus going to a rather new DO SMP, with larger class sizes, and is not as well know.

It stems from my school's SMP who made promises it could not keep. In the end, DO SMPs and MD SMPs have the same risk. However, the MD SMP are usually more established than DO SMP. Plus, some of which have good linkage programs to their schools. As for the DO SMPs, I don't like how a some of them have class sizes of 30-50 people (maybe more). I don't believe for a second if they all did will this would mean an auto-accept into the schools DO program. I feel like they are more money grabs than anything else.

My main point being, why not go to a MD SMP and have a shot of getting into that SMP's school or other MD that know the SMP. Versus going to a rather new DO SMP, with larger class sizes, and is not as well know.

I see, thanks for the info. You make a good point, and I don't think I'd consider a DO SMP unless it was something very established like PCOM or CCOM. I believe VCOM guarantes acceptance as well. May I ask what school you did your SMP at?

But yeah, if doing an SMP MD is probably the way to go. Provided you do well, it would obviously make your AACOMAS app stronger as well if MD doesn't work out, rendering DO SMPs moot unless they guarantee linkage.

I see, thanks for the info. You make a good point, and I don't think I'd consider a DO SMP unless it was something very established like PCOM or CCOM. I believe VCOM guarantes acceptance as well. May I ask what school you did your SMP at?

But yeah, if doing an SMP MD is probably the way to go. Provided you do well, it would obviously make your AACOMAS app stronger as well if MD doesn't work out, rendering DO SMPs moot unless they guarantee linkage.

Unfortunately, I am keeping my school confidential. I want to keep my anonymity for as long as possible. However, for what it is worth, my school is one of the newer ones.

Hey OP,

There can be alot of heat coming from this thread but just remember that it is their opinions, and you have every chance of becoming a physician as it will be up to you and what you do from now until the acceptance. If you are looking for some motivations, I would suggest looking at this thread:

LOW GPA/MCAT Success Stories (Posts by Nontrads Already Accepted to Med School)

Also, as I was someone who was in a similar spot that you are in now (2.4 undergraduate gpa, 3.5 graduate, and retaken classes to get gpa above magic 3.0 cutoff) I can promise you it is absolutely possible! You just need to find what makes you able to handle difficult courses, apply that to retaking certain classes, and shine that in your applications after you are above the magic/cursed 3.0 cuttoff. Good luck!!!

Hi guys, I'm back.
I want to prove to med school that I am capable to survive and do good in med school. I'm not giving up.
I already registered classes for DIY postbacc for summer, fall and spring 2018. I am going to take: neurobiology, immunology + lab, pharmacology I and II, cell biology + lab, and special topic for bio.

Since the AACOMAS came up with a new grade replacement policy, should I retake ochem, physiology and anatomy too? FYI, I retook ochem twice in undergrad already and ended up with C+. The highest grade of my ochem class was B.

My plan is taking MCAT around Feb 2018, apply for June 18 cycle for a shot... if not successful, I will start looking for regular master's degree.

How does it sound?

Thank you

You don't need 11 months to study for the MCAT

Yeah 4 months of dedicated MCAT prep is plenty. I did 7 but very spread out (took time off for finals and Christmas break type of thing) and it was definitely overkill. I would hit content review hard for like 3 months and then a 4-6 weeks taking as many practice tests as you can get your hands on. During that time go through every question whether you got it right or wrong. Study the content as well as why each answer choice is either right or wrong for each question. Make "MCAT thinking" so second nature that when you take the real thing it is just another test.

Yeah 4 months of dedicated MCAT prep is plenty. I did 7 but very spread out (took time off for finals and Christmas break type of thing) and it was definitely overkill. I would hit content review hard for like 3 months and then a 4-6 weeks taking as many practice tests as you can get your hands on. During that time go through every question whether you got it right or wrong. Study the content as well as why each answer choice is either right or wrong for each question. Make "MCAT thinking" so second nature that when you take the real thing it is just another test.

Thank you for your MCAT advice. I appreciate it.
How about my plan? Are my upper level classes good? Do you think that I still have a shot if I pull myself together and (hopefully) get As?

Thank you for your MCAT advice. I appreciate it.
How about my plan? Are my upper level classes good? Do you think that I still have a shot if I pull myself together and (hopefully) get As?

Yeah, just do everything you can to get As. At this point you have to show that you have changed as a student and acing a post-bac is a good way to do that. Then rock the MCAT. If you take it one step at a time there shouldn't be any reason you can't be successful!

Hi guys, I'm back.
I want to prove to med school that I am capable to survive and do good in med school. I'm not giving up.
I already registered classes for DIY postbacc for summer, fall and spring 2018. I am going to take: neurobiology, immunology + lab, pharmacology I and II, cell biology + lab, and special topic for bio.

Since the AACOMAS came up with a new grade replacement policy, should I retake ochem, physiology and anatomy too? FYI, I retook ochem twice in undergrad already and ended up with C+. The highest grade of my ochem class was B.

My plan is taking MCAT around Feb 2018, apply for June 18 cycle for a shot... if not successful, I will start looking for regular master's degree.

How does it sound?

Thank you

That's so cool that you get an immuno lab with your course.

Immuno is my fave.

Good luck OP.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You're right. I may take it earlier than Feb 2018 if my financial is getting better. Thanks

I really recommend just taking 3 months and knocking it out unless you got some serious stamina. I'm in month 4 and just burnt out to pieces.

Two months are enough to score between a 505-510 (or more) IMO. In your case though, since you have the time, you can prep a little bit (couple hours/week) and ramp it up in the months leading up to the exam. I wouldn't rush it since you need a good score to make up for the GPA.

Thank you, guys. I planned to study at least 3 months. I want to make sure that I can do it good.
Fingers crossed. Good luck to you guys too

Good job on rededicating yourself, you can do it if you have a good plan of success in place! A couple pieces of advice for the next 12+ months:

1st: Make SURE you get As. Are you willing to do anything to make that happen? Are you willing to quit your job and move back in with parents? Are you willing to say goodbye to friends and put in 80 hours a week of studying to make sure you get an A in organic chemistry, every semester? That's what it might take, and you can no longer piss off time since you have less of it. That was what I came to realize and what you should to, or something will come up that will be your downfall. This is now your job, to get As. Don't forget that.

2nd: For MCAT, have a goal score in mind and study until you acheive it. I took the old MCAT and it was shown (somewhere, don't remember where) that 300 hours of study time was required to get around a 30. Now I believe it is closer to 450/500 hours (depending on how good you are at psych.). So, that means you need to put in 450 hours into your MCAT studying. Breaking that down in 8 hour days, with one day a week off, that is roughly 9.5 weeks of studying, studying 48 hours a week. You can slim a little time if you just aced your organic/biochem class as you don't need to study as much for it, but stick to this. It is hard, it will be your job, take it seriously. Also, take practice tests in a setting that mirrors the exam so you know EXACTLY where you are at and learn from the weaknesses. No presuming you are ready, know you are ready from your practice scores.

Finally, if you haven't already, put your grades in a spreadsheet and play around with the numbers. It is time laborious but crucial to know what it will take to get the GPA you need to succeed.

I feel your pain, I took 16 months of classes that included Both physics, genetics, microbiology, gen. chemistry. Not all were core 8 classes, but they were enough to get me above the 3.0 cutoff and become visible. I didn't retake either organic chem. (C+, C) as I didn't want to risk an A- or below. I got in, and I was told admissions understands organic is a tough course. I just aced my Biochem and showed them that and they were cool.

Good luck, you can do it!

Raising your GPA is no longer the issue, now it's showing current, consistent academic excellence. You need to show that the you of now is not the you of then.

Do well on your retake and continue to do well at KCU, and a decent number of DO schools will show you some love. But apply broadly, and especially target the newest schools.

BTW, both PCOM and A ZCOM are still continuing to honor GPA replacement.
Are you telling me that the magic 3.0 cutoff doesn't exist? Because if it does exist, how is getting into medical school possible, even if I get straight As for another 1000 years?

Some schools value reinvention more than others. If human eyeballs can look at your app, then you have a much better chance. There are MD schools, and all DO, that reward reinvention. If not, then SMPs would quickly go belly-up.

Are you telling me that the magic 3.0 cutoff doesn't exist? Because if it does exist, how is getting into medical school possible, even if I get straight As for another 1000 years?

Some schools value reinvention more than others. If human eyeballs can look at your app, then you have a much better chance. There are MD schools, and all DO, that reward reinvention. If not, then SMPs would quickly go belly-up.
I hope you're right.