Ask me anything from an accepted student with Sub 3.0 GPAs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calizboosted76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone this post has been a long time coming and I figured while I sat here scribing that I would type it up since I have received an abundance of private messages.
I want to begin by saying I am an outlier and I feel humbled and lucky to have an acceptance at one of my top choices this early on.

My Stats:
- Less than a 2.7 cGPA.
- Less than a 3.0 sGPA,
- Last 60 credits of upper division sciences at a 3.8 GPA
- 506 MCAT (127-123-129-127).
- 4500+ hours as a scribe.
- Couple hundred hours of volunteering with underserved communities.
- Significant story of overcoming multiple obstacles.
- 1 first author publication
- Great LORs
- 3 DO LORS
- Great personal statement (At least from what my interviewers told me)
- Deans list for the last four semesters of my college career

Accepted to two osteopathic medical schools including one of my top choices.

I am sure I have left something out and as the questions come in I will add/update my post.

Again, I am very lucky to have one acceptance let alone two and I feel very lucky and I know that this will not be as representative for each applicant but I wanted to address everything out in the open!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
No questions, but wanted to congratulate you! I've been following your journey for quite some time. Really happy to see you've made it!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
No questions, but wanted to congratulate you! I've been following your journey for quite some time. Really happy to see you've made it!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate that! It was a long journey and I was unsure if I was even going to make it. Im very thankful for everyone helping me!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! What 2 schools were they? And what/did they say anything about your gpa in the interview? What did they talk about in the interview?

Congrats! What 2 schools were they? And what/did they say anything about your gpa in the interview? What did they talk about in the interview?

ICOM and ACOM.

One school asked how I was able to turn my grades around. The other school praised my most recent grades and my terrible grades didn’t come up at all. It was like any other interview, why this school, why medicine, why osteopathic medicine, how are you prepared to sacrifice time with your family, and a question about my research.
They were very laidback interviews and I absolutely love the school I have chosen to attend.

3.5gpa and 3.3sgpa and 499 mcat :( ... I got an II on ICOM December first, any tips? Also, ACOM dean told me my application is great other than my MCAT states that it is two points below their competitive. I asked them if I retook it in January will they reconsider me, and they said yes. What's your opinion on retaking my MCAT in January?

3.5gpa and 3.3sgpa and 499 mcat :( ... I got an II on ICOM December first, any tips? Also, ACOM dean told me my application is great other than my MCAT states that it is two points below their competitive. I asked them if I retook it in January will they reconsider me, and they said yes. What's your opinion on retaking my MCAT in January?

So while I am not an advisor, in my opinion I think anyone who scores below a 500 should consider a retake because it will open up so many more doors.

ICOM is a great school from what I have read and experienced through their interview day. My suggestions for this school would be to know your reasons behind applying there. Also know your "Why medicine, more specifically why osteopathic medicine" questions.

congrats!! how long did it take to those 60 credits down?

I’m always happy to see this kind of stuff! Congrats! Now just try to relax at some point before medical school starts :)!

That’s the plan! Thank you for all of your help along the way as well!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users